PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Section 20 notice after purchase of flat

Options

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your odds of proving that someone received and read an email are, roughly, a big fat zero.
  • davidwood681
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    It is not wrong to haggle the price.
    It is a bit scummy to do it the day before exchange at a point where everyone is financially invested and likely tied in.

How would you have felt if it were an increasing market and they banged the price up by £10k after you had spent thousands on fees? That is the point people are making.

Congratulations on saving the £10k. Commiserations on being lumbered with £8k.

If you can prove the vendor knew about the works and the costs then you can potentially sue. Although you need to know where they are and if they are coming back to the UK. If you can not find those 2 things out, then you will probably need to knock it on the head.

Exactly :money:

OP, you tried it on and got burnt
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Shouldn't this information have been in the leasehold information pack?

It sounds to me like the section 20 notice is defective rather than blaming the vendor.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    Shouldn't this information have been in the leasehold information pack?

It sounds to me like the section 20 notice is defective rather than blaming the vendor.

It is mentioned in the OP that the pack did not make any mention of it because it had not been served at that point.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I think people are angry that you reduced your offer just before exchange, and it is clouding their advice a little.

The seller should have informed you that the section 20 notice was served before exchange.

It's unusual for legal notices to be served by email. I would guess that the seller previously agreed with the freeholder/managing agent that they would accept notices via email, and provided a valid email address, which they check.

It sounds to me like you might have a valid claim. But it may be a challenge if the seller has moved overseas, and you don't have an address.

I'd guess your solicitor is a conveyancing solicitor, and not interested in getting involved in litigation.

If you write a letter to the seller's solicitor, they might (or might not) forward it to the seller. But even then, there is no guarantee that the seller will reply to you.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    It is mentioned in the OP that the pack did not make any mention of it because it had not been served at that point.

I'm rather rusty on leaseholds but I thought the information pack was supposed to include all planned works up to 5 years ahead.

The fact that the section 20 notice was served 1 week after completion suggests the freeholder must have known the work was planned when they completed the information pack.

So if the information pack was wrong doesn't that make the section 20 notice invalid?
  • sal_III
    sal_III Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    eddddy wrote: »
    I think people are angry that you reduced your offer just before exchange, and it is clouding their advice a little.

The seller should have informed you that the section 20 notice was served before exchange.

It's unusual for legal notices to be served by email. I would guess that the seller previously agreed with the freeholder/managing agent that they would accept notices via email, and provided a valid email address, which they check.

It sounds to me like you might have a valid claim. But it may be a challenge if the seller has moved overseas, and you don't have an address.

I'd guess your solicitor is a conveyancing solicitor, and not interested in getting involved in litigation.

If you write a letter to the seller's solicitor, they might (or might not) forward it to the seller. But even then, there is no guarantee that the seller will reply to you.
    Try proving that the vendor was aware under these circumstances...
    This letter we received is a stage 2 notice. Apparently the stage 1 was undisclosed.
    We were told that the stage 1 notice was in the form of an email and not a letter, so many tennants didn't receive it are now in shock.
    The advice given thus far is not biased, it's objective and realistic. And is backed by the OP's solicitor intimately familiar with the details.

I'm sure that the OP will be able to find a solicitor ready to handle this case and sponge some fees, regardless of whether there is a realistic chance of clawing back something from the Vendor.

A letter to the vendor is absolutely pointless. They might take the effort to reply with "We knew nothing about it, just like half of the other Leaseholders" or simply ignore it. No way in hell for them to 'fess up and pay even if they knew about the S20 notice.
  • armchaireconomist
    Options
    So you dropped the price £10k day before exchange.

Now you want to sue them for £8k because of fire proofing works to YOUR property, because they didn't notify you of the stage 1 notice that apparently most of the tenants had never seen?

I'm glad you weren't my buyer.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Could be worse, paid full price as expected and this bill.
  • parkrunner
    parkrunner Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    I'm rather rusty on leaseholds but I thought the information pack was supposed to include all planned works up to 5 years ahead.

The fact that the section 20 notice was served 1 week after completion suggests the freeholder must have known the work was planned when they completed the information pack.

So if the information pack was wrong doesn't that make the section 20 notice invalid?

It can be served but not received, especially as served by email.
    It's nothing , not nothink.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport