How did Labour get my ex-directory number?

Options

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you come to the conclusion that asking how someone obtained an ex-directory number is trying to discredit them?
    Surely if they wanted to do that, all they would have to write is something along the lines of "I received a call from the labour party asking me to vote for them and when I said I wasn't going to, they became very abusive"
    read post 6. and look at the names for both quotes

Read post 8 again.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,808 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does the full (as opposed to the open) electoral register have phone numbers on it? ISTR my number being on the form I filled in so they may have got it through there
  • Fosterdog
    Fosterdog Posts: 4,948 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Depending on whether they asked for you in person or not it could either be an automatic dialler that just randomly dials numbers that could exist whether or not they belong to anyone or not, possibly a recycled number that someone has given in the past and they no longer have the number but it's been given to you or another possibility would be someone has given them a "fake" number and it just happened to be yours.

I can't think of any other possibility if you really never give your number out.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Andy_L wrote: »
    Does the full (as opposed to the open) electoral register have phone numbers on it?

No it doesn't list telephone numbers.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    All the parties are given the same database. They don't use automatic diallers. They do have a remote dialling system so people can call from their homes but the caller selects the number, it's not just random.

I can find out who they get the data from but it won't be today, everyone is a little busy!

Did the other parties not bother to call you?
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    IAmWales wrote: »
    Did the other parties not bother to call you?

Nice spin ;)
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just be grateful it was just one missed call. I'm in double figures now with posted Tory party mail. Surely that many has got to be over their expenses allowed amount. I do mean posted mail, not a volunteer pushing leaflets through the door. I'm on the edited electoral roll too.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Parties are provided copies of the electoral roll and are allowed to use it for "electoral purposes".

You can (like with any other organisation) request that they don't process your details for marketing purposes. You can also tell them that if you ever receive marketing calls/mail from them again, you'll ensure that everyone in your household votes for anyone except them. Or something to that effect, I usually tell the callers that I'm not going to vote for a party who thinks its okay to disturb voters in their own homes when they haven't asked or even consented to being contacted.

The latter seems to motivate them better than any request under the DPA.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Loanranger
    Loanranger Posts: 2,439 Forumite
    Options
    Are you with BT? If so, there's your answer.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »
    Surely that many has got to be over their expenses allowed amount.

I don't think they worry too much about electoral expenses.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure