Concert Tickets

Options
Does this seem right?

At the weekend I purchased 4 tickets for a concert at a total cost of £222.50. I was completely aware that they could not be re-sold except at face value and could only be used by me at the venue.

I was aware that if I wanted to re-sell them I could do so through the ticket company's own fan reseller website at face value.

What I have discovered is that it is no problem reselling them BUT I would not receive the money after they are re-sold but after the event which is nearly a year away in June 2018!

I have double-checked this with ticket company and they have confirmed that this is correct. This means that they have taken £222.50 from me and then they will take £222.50 from the person they are re-sold to and I do not receive my money for nearly a year.

The Consumer Rights guys say that there is nothing I can do.

Does everyone think this is correct?

Comments

• Oakdene
    Oakdene Posts: 2,560 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Were they Ed Sheeran tickets by any chance?
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dwy raff yn cydio’n ddolen,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Oakdene wrote: »
    Were they Ed Sheeran tickets by any chance?

lol I wondered that ....mind you I'm also wondering how you can suddenly magic up 3 extra dates
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lol I wondered that ....mind you I'm also wondering how you can suddenly magic up 3 extra dates

In Cardiff, I know he wasnt sure he would sell out one night so he added two extra dates then when they went he added another one. I think this is common practice in relation to tours
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Although it's crazy to have to book that far ahead, it sort of seems fair to me if the point is to stop touts.

It allows for genuine fans who are ill at the last minute etc to re-sell (in which case it'd be the same for them - paying now and not receiving the refund until the time of the event), but stops touts who buy up all the tickets the day they're sold and then immediately list them for extortionate mark-ups online, never having had any intention of attending the concert, and having prevented fans getting the tickets at fave value.

If a fan genuinely wants to go to the gig, they'd only not go if they had a really serious reason, and would be gutted to have to sell their ticket.
  • Country_Cousin
    Country_Cousin Posts: 229 Forumite
    edited 12 July 2017 at 12:14PM
    Options
    I suppose it is ultimately up to you whether you chose to use their services with those terms. You bought the tickets knowing that they were not re-saleable and so the chance to be able to sell them via a reputable means must be seen as a bonus. When I buy tickets on those terms I usually take out the insurance (which is something I do not usually do) in case something happens that I cannot go, as I know that I cannot resell them. Just curious why you would buy tickets and then look into selling them again immediately at face value?

(just seen potentially added extra dates - so that might be the reason?)
  • Oakdene
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I suppose it is ultimately up to you whether you chose to use their services with those terms. You bought the tickets knowing that they were not re-saleable and so the chance to be able to sell them via a reputable means must be seen as a bonus. When I buy tickets on those terms I usually take out the insurance (which is something I do not usually do) in case something happens that I cannot go, as I know that I cannot resell them. Just curious why you would buy tickets and then look into selling them again immediately at face value?

(just seen potentially added extra dates - so that might be the reason?)

Could have been that OP & his OH were both trying to get tickets knowing how hard it would be & they have now got 8
    Dwy galon, un dyhead,
    Dwy dafod ond un iaith,
    Dau enaid ond un taith.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,131 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They won't refund until after the buyer has been allowed into the venue.
  • systwo
    systwo Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    It was Ed Sheeran and I fully support a process which avoids highly inflated ticket pricing on resale.

My unhappiness surrounded the fact that the ticket reseller is taking money from both of us and not releasing funds to me until after the concert nearly a year away.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    systwo wrote: »
    It was Ed Sheeran and I fully support a process which avoids highly inflated ticket pricing on resale.

My unhappiness surrounded the fact that the ticket reseller is taking money from both of us and not releasing funds to me until after the concert nearly a year away.

Thats how it works. You can make your choice, sell or don't sell.
  • shaun_from_Africa
    shaun_from_Africa Posts: 12,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    systwo wrote: »
    But what would happen if the reseller sold the tickets you have and gave you the money then it turned out to be the case that those tickets were stolen or forged?
    They would have to refund their buyer and then attempt to recover the money from you assuming that you could still be found.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure