Calor 13Kg Propane Orange Bottle - Currently Not Available!

Options

Comments

• Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Flogas are a lot cheaper than Calor, does anyone know if they will take a Calor bottle in exchange, or is the exchange price only if you have one of theirs empty? I don't fancy my chances of getting the "deposit" back on my 2 Calor bottles, I don't even have a receipt for one of them, possibly both, and am not sure where I originally obtained them as I've had a gas BBQ for about 20 years, switched from Butane to Propane 9-10 years ago (when I bought my lovely new BBQ) and my local supplier exchanged empty blue Calor bottles for full Orange Calor bottles!
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    Options
    its only £5 if you don't have an exchange and you get the free regulator, you can always ring them
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Flogas are a lot cheaper than Calor, does anyone know if they will take a Calor bottle in exchange, or is the exchange price only if you have one of theirs empty? I don't fancy my chances of getting the "deposit" back on my 2 Calor bottles, I don't even have a receipt for one of them, possibly both, and am not sure where I originally obtained them as I've had a gas BBQ for about 20 years, switched from Butane to Propane 9-10 years ago (when I bought my lovely new BBQ) and my local supplier exchanged empty blue Calor bottles for full Orange Calor bottles!
    I doubt it, they wont take my 47kg ones as the bottles are owned by Calor.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Chrishazle
    Options
    deanos wrote: »
    its only £5 if you don't have an exchange and you get the free regulator, you can always ring them

Looked through the manual for my BBQ yesterday, it specifies Propane, and I suspect the air/fuel mix would be wrong if I switched to Butane. Flogas "non exchange" is £30 per bottle over the exchange cost, so with 2 bottles that's be expensive, and I don't know whether I'd get anything from the local Calor supplier for my 2 orange empties.

Should get a reply from Calor and Flogas to my online enquiries in the next couple of days.
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 18 June 2017 at 10:47AM
    Options
    Its 5 extra if you don't an exchange bottle with flogas see my link above, my bbq also said propane buts it's been running on butane fine

27.99 with no bottle, 22.99 with exchange and free regulator and free delivery, see link above

you can get at least 7.50 back for your calor bottles

https://www.calor.co.uk/unwanted-calor-bottle-return
  • cliffsgirl
    cliffsgirl Posts: 367 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    Just been to my local garden centre to exchange an empty orange Calor 13Kg propane bottle for a full one, only to be told they (and every other supplier) are currently not allowed to sell them even though he has them in stock. Apparently there's been some sort of problem with them not filling properly and venting, but can't find anything about it online.

Luckily it's my spare for the BBQ, and I changed bottles less than a month ago so should be OK for quite a while, but wonder if anyone knows what's going on and when I will again be able to exchange the bottle.

Where are you based? We still sell them in the shop I work in
  • Chrishazle
    Options
    Between Ashford and Tenterden, Kent. There are a number of local stockists, but I've only tried the one I have used for the past 9-10 years. Waiting to hear from Calor about why he's not allowed to sell me a bottle - had one reply so far from an alternate supplier, cannot accept Calor bottles so first order would entail a bottle deposit as well as the cost of the gas.
  • Chrishazle
    Options
    So, 2 days into a supposed 24 hour reply from Calor and no reply, just the other potential suppliers saying I would have to pay their bottle deposit to change to the (at about £30 per bottle), and finding that although the bottles I have were obtained less than a year ago, because I have no written supply agreement for 1 of my bottles and the other, for which I have a supply agreement about 20 years old, I'd get pennies back from Calor!
  • Chrishazle
    Options
    Finally a reply from Calor, seems there was a glitch at their Coryton plant and bottles were not being properly filled. They say all should be back to normal in a few days time.

The reply about the price disparity between green and orange 13Kg propane bottles is amusing :

[FONT=&quot]The major difference in the price is market sector, the green patio bottle is for the ‘alfresco’ market, which comes with an easy to use clip on regulator, and the cylinder is generally in a cleaner condition. Where as the standard 13’s is generally used for the trade and caravanning sectors and the cylinder is generally more dirty due to the type of use the cylinder it is, the cylinder is used with screw in regulator where the customer will need a spanner a leak detection spray.[/FONT]
  • Angri
    Angri Posts: 43 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 October 2018 at 11:57AM
    Options
    What a great illustration of how to "add value" (aka increasing the price) to an already over-priced premium product!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure