Calor 13Kg Propane Orange Bottle - Currently Not Available!

Options
Just been to my local garden centre to exchange an empty orange Calor 13Kg propane bottle for a full one, only to be told they (and every other supplier) are currently not allowed to sell them even though he has them in stock. Apparently there's been some sort of problem with them not filling properly and venting, but can't find anything about it online.

Luckily it's my spare for the BBQ, and I changed bottles less than a month ago so should be OK for quite a while, but wonder if anyone knows what's going on and when I will again be able to exchange the bottle.

Comments

• angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have done that, awaiting a reply - and asked why 13Kg of propane in an orange bottle is about £27 but in a green bottle is £32 (gas cost only on bottle exchange).
  • angryparcel
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »
    I have done that, awaiting a reply - and asked why 13Kg of propane in an orange bottle is about £27 but in a green bottle is £32 (gas cost only on bottle exchange).
    Propane and Butane are different gases
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Propane and Butane are different gases
    Both orange and green are propane, butane is blue.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Change the regulator to Butane unless you intend to use the BBQ below 0 deg C then buy butane.
  • angryparcel
    Options
    contact flowgas and they may provide a free regulator to change
  • Chrishazle
    Chrishazle Posts: 609 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My previous BBQ was butane (blue bottle) but when I bought the current 3 burner, side and back burner one it came with a screw-in propane regulator and advice to use propane - hence my 2 orange propane bottles. I've had no problem for almost 10 years buying 13Kg orange propane bottles, and will be interested to see Calor's response to my email to them - why should I have to invest admittedly not a lot (about £7) in a different regulator, let alone £5 per bottle higher cost, in changing from orange to green propane bottles? I have not looked at changing regulator to butane - which may be worthwhile as Butane is one level higher in the gas chain (methane, ethane, propane, butane), and do not know if my BBQ burners are suitable for Butane.

My suspicion is that the left hand thread of the orange bottle connection to the regulator, requiring proper tightening, is the root of the problem - people not realising it's a "wrong way" thread and not tightening it correctly - in other words, it's an "ID 10 T" problem, whereas the green bottle regulator connection is a "clip-on".
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,592 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Chrishazle wrote: »

Because its branded BBQ gas. People think they can only use that gas for BBQs, its summer, prime BBQ time so they profiteer.

Calor site is suggesting at least 5 day delivery due to demand.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We came across this problem a few years ago, all that was available were the expensive 'BBQ Gas' cylinders, we decided that it would be cheaper in the long run to just buy the butane regulator and switch.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • deanos
    deanos Posts: 11,223 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Uniform Washer
    edited 17 June 2017 at 2:40PM
    Options
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts