Misleading, Nonsensical and just plain wrong

Options
My oven broke. I have had it ten years, so no problem. I went to Currys to look for a replacement. My old one had a plug on it - the plug linked to the correct ampage Cooker socket, installed by an electrician. To keep costs low I wanted the replacement to also have a plug. As a grown up and relatively sane adult, I consider my abilities such that I can take out one plug from a UK plug socket an dput in a new UK plug into the same socket. I don't have to mess with wires (nor would I try) just like for like - 13amp. 3 pin plug for 13amp 3 pin plug. I told the saleswoman I was looking only for ovens with plugs and explained the reason. I would therefore save £90 installation fee.
The saleswoman told me I should get it professionally installed. For fear she had not understood or misheard me, I repeated ' I want to plug it in to the socket that the old plug came out of. The old one was not wired in - it had a plug on it when I bought it and so I want my new one to also have a plug so I can plug it in. Simple?
No, apparently not. She said if my house were to BURN TO THE GROUND because I had not had it professionally installed then my insurance would not cover it. Having worked as a loss adjuster for many years, I informed her this wasn't the case - plug for plug, no wiring involved, what she was saying was incorrect. Becoming a little irate, she informed me if I did not have a certificate of installation for the cooker then the insurance would not pay out and this was DEFINITELY true. Somewhat concerned I had been speaking to a trainee I checked her badge - SALES ADVISOR. Hmmm. I said 'OK - to clarify - you're telling me that if I buy an oven WITH A UK 13amp PLUG ATTACHED and I plug it into my own house which has a 13amp socket. installed originally by an electrician specifically for a 13amp cooker, and it catches fire then my insurance will not pay up?'
'No, it won't,' she said, 'and your warranty will also be void.'
'So, you suggest I pay your highly experienced and qualified electrician £90 to plug it in for me?'
I didn't wait for an answer but walked over the road to a different electric retailer who laughed and laughed:rotfl: and had an oven - a plug in one for £50 less with free delivery and their man 'will plug it in for you for free'. :D
Any thoughts - and yes I have clarified with Currys Head Office complaints that this info WAS wrong and their staff member will be re-trained. Just beware of dodgy advice peeps.

Comments

• TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,018 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'll plug it in for you for £30. I'm not a qualified electrician but an enthusiastic amateur willing to give anything a go!
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
  • lewishardwick
    Options
    Having been in a Curry's where some kind of 'manager' / team 'leader' was giving his team on the shop floor a pep talk, I heard "let's really push those warranties and hit our targets", that should give you the indication that the staff are there for one reason only.

It's not to ensure you have the right product.

There are the odd few who actually listen and try to offer a product based on your needs. They rarely last and end up somewhere that doesn't think the customer is a cash cow for milking.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Enterprise_1701C Posts: 23,409 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 26 April 2019 at 8:27AM
    Options
    That is ridiculous.

We have previously replaced our fitted oven ourselves, the wiring was there and all we had to do was connect it. It was a like for like replacement, no new circuitry etc, so perfectly legal.

As for the idea of not being able to plug one in, that is utterly ridiculous :rotfl::rotfl: The SA must be on commission!

To be honest, some of the stories we have heard about delivery drivers fitting ovens/washing machines etc mean that we would far rather do it ourselves, my father was an electrician and taught me how to deal with that sort of thing at a young age (when I was 11 I could fit a socket let alone a plug!). I have seen some really bad work done by "trained" electricians and KNOW I can do better. Yes I know they are cowboys, and I know there are decent electricans out there, and we have a couple that we employ when we need to.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Going to Currys was the first mistake...
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Currys - The same place I entered with the explicit intention of buying a Particular TV, until the sales advisor (who only had to go fetch it) started banging on about how terrible the products they sell are, and how they won't even last a year, how he used to be an engineer who designed TV's so he knew the components aren't any good these days (as well as being a salesman for years and seeing all these returns).

I assume he was working up to the extended warranty, but I'll never know. I got so fed up with his fanciful, condescending, and often contradictory nonsense that I stormed out and went elsewhere.

The TV I eventually bought from Richer Sounds was not only cheaper, but still going strong over two years later

I subsequently told this tale to a neighbour who works for Currys in the business accounts department. After standing with her mouth agape for a while she rolled her eyes and told me that, while my story was shocking, it was sadly very plausible.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    https://products.geappliances.com/appliance/gea-support-search-content?contentId=22147

There are cookers which are dedicated "hardwired" appliances, that must by law be connected directly to household wiring via the wall plate. Then there are cookers which are dedicated 'plug in' appliances. You have to ask which particular cooker connects in which way. You obviously came across the usual half-trained, low paid Currys employee who has only learned part of the real story.

The next retailer you saw, knew the difference and gave you the correct appliance for your needs.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Currys is a warranty retailer. To entice you in and get you to buy a warranty they helpfully sell matching goods.
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Raxiel wrote: »

The TV I eventually bought from Richer Sounds was not only cheaper, but still going strong over two years later

Thats been my place of choice for a while. Slightly concerned about the health of their business going forward though.
    Currys is always the very last place I look and unless it's a spectacular bargain or I can't get it anywhere else I avoid them.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thats been my place of choice for a while. Slightly concerned about the health of their business going forward though.
    Currys is always the very last place I look and unless it's a spectacular bargain or I can't get it anywhere else I avoid them.

Was the 'slightly concerned about the health of their business' comment directed at Richer Sounds?

What makes you say that about RS?
  • pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    Was the 'slightly concerned about the health of their business' comment directed at Richer Sounds?

What makes you say that about RS?

There were rumours a while back about RS struggling. Hopefully they were just that but TBH the state of the high street currently I worry about any decent business.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure