Private sellers slow to send items AND leave feedback

Options
13»

Comments

• theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    What benefit is there to a buyer to receive feedback, after their very first few? Is it anything more than gamifying the numbers?
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Start selling with zero feedback and you will see why sellers tend to buy a few bits first to get away from that zero score.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Start selling with zero feedback and you will see why sellers tend to buy a few bits first to get away from that zero score.

yup,but very easy to get a few feedback as a buyer.
  • Emily_Joy
    Emily_Joy Posts: 1,244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    What if the buyer leaves feedback but the seller doesn't send the item? Or sends a different item?
    I think there is a major misunderstanding here. There is no seller that expects the buyer to leave feedback before he got the item he wanted.
  • NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    Emily_Joy wrote: »
    Private sellers are exactly private sellers. As a private seller I sell things that are too good (or sometimes not good enough) to go to a charity shop and the ones which I don't need/don't like any more. I have life and a full-time job besides eBay. Sometimes I work away from home and quite often abroad for a few days. I simply can't rush back to post something :rotfl:

Similar to me, I've been on ebay 16 years and for the bulk have that time I've been a low volume private seller (maybe 10-15 items a year on average). When I post items it's either on my lunch break at work (for royal mail) or after work (for hermes). The problem is some days I work late, have to take a short lunch break or work away form home so I can't guarantee postage within 24 or even 48 hours.

I do always leave feedback as soon as I receive payment though.

I buy from ebay on a far more regular basis and tbh I haven't noticed any change in despatch times over the years, I get some fast sellers and some slow ones just as I did 10 years ago. The one change I have noticed is an increase in the proportion of people, both buyers and sellers, who don't leave feedback at all.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Similar to me, I've been on ebay 16 years and for the bulk have that time I've been a low volume private seller (maybe 10-15 items a year on average). When I post items it's either on my lunch break at work (for royal mail) or after work (for hermes). The problem is some days I work late, have to take a short lunch break or work away form home so I can't guarantee postage within 24 or even 48 hours.

I do always leave feedback as soon as I receive payment though.

I buy from ebay on a far more regular basis and tbh I haven't noticed any change in despatch times over the years, I get some fast sellers and some slow ones just as I did 10 years ago. The one change I have noticed is an increase in the proportion of people, both buyers and sellers, who don't leave feedback at all.

That's exactly what dispatch times are for, as long as you show a 3 working day (or whatever ) dispatch time you should be perfectly fine. Even on my business account I sometimes go to a long dispatch, either if I am on a short break away, or even if I take one of my long hour contracts. It is perfectly clear to buyers what their delivery estimate is yet many seem to think regardless of all that all sellers should ship same or next day.

My only issue is with sellers who show perhaps a 2 day dispatch and then dn't ship for a week and when you question them they say they ship only on say Monday and Tuesday but if a buyer uses BIN Monday night then they are obviously not going to ship until the following Monday.

I have an issue at the moment, I had a 2 day dispatch on a day or so before Easter actually sent it next day and buyer is moaning as a business they actually expected it to arrive next day- regardless of the 2 day dispatch and 2nd class because 'that's what businesses do'.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think the shipping times are fairly equal, I do think sellers are giving a slightly longer estimate of delivery time though because ebay seem to forget holidays etc.
    Buyers are then please it arrives faster (well mostly) and ebay doesnt mark them down.

Posted not long back for an item i purchased late on a weekend and estimated delivery Tuesday, I think the Monday was a Bank Holiday so unlikely to get it Tuesday. Or may have been late on Saturday for a Monday delivery. Either way unrealistic.

When leaving feedback i had to say yes it arrived before the seller posted it to save them getting amrked down.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Kered
    Kered Posts: 3,531 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Sorry for opening a can of worms :o

Just to say that even though sellers are not supposed to be able to change dispatch dates, one seller has managed to do that with me and although the parcel arrived on the revised date, this was later than originally given.

I am still not sure if I want to sell on Ebay the way I did some 15 years ago, I do have some items that are of reasonable value but I am quite scared to get started selling as it seems to be a lot more ruthless and less trustworthy than it used to be :(
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kered wrote: »
    Sorry for opening a can of worms :o

Just to say that even though sellers are not supposed to be able to change dispatch dates, one seller has managed to do that with me and although the parcel arrived on the revised date, this was later than originally given.

I am still not sure if I want to sell on Ebay the way I did some 15 years ago, I do have some items that are of reasonable value but I am quite scared to get started selling as it seems to be a lot more ruthless and less trustworthy than it used to be :(

Sellers cannot change the delivery estimate, many would like to but it is impossible.

The usual explanation when a buyer claims they did is that the headline delivery estimate was for the enhanced service, when in fact a slower service was paid for and used.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • taramasalater
    Options
    Sellers may wait until they have 30-40 feedbacks to leave then do it from selling manager all in one go. It is more time efficient.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure