correct gear for fuel efficiency

Options
Hi. This is one of your MSE tips (below) but is the exact opposite to what I was told on a recent speed driving course- that this advice is out of date as its based on old cars and is a myth because all new cars are much more fuel efficient at lower gears. The advice was- match the gear to the speed for fuel efficiency ie. 20 mph for 2nd gear,30 mph for 3rd gear,40mph for 4th etc so what is the actual evidence for the fuel efficiency with each type of driving? Also the course advice was designed to reduce speeding and make roads safer.
MSE TIP-Change up a gear sooner. Always drive in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine. So change up much earlier than feels natural – it will take some pace out of your acceleration, but as that's our first tip it isn't a bad thing. If you have a fuel efficiency display, you'll be surprised how immediate an impact this has.

Comments

• Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I drive an auto. I let the car make the decision for me.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP, are you related to Jonah61 by any chance - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5879125

;)
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The traditional advice used to be to err towards low engine speed via changing up early and to get enough power by wider throttle opening. That way you reduce the so-called pumping losses (making the engine suck air through a narrow throttle opening). Lexus seem to support this philosophy as my IS300h has electronic CVT and favours low engine speeds .... at 70 mph on a level road the engine runs at about 1200 rpm which is an unheard of gearing for a petrol fuelled car. The car is red lined at 6000 rpm so the revs are there if needed.
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    LindaJoan wrote: »
    MSE TIP-Change up a gear sooner. Always drive in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine. So change up much earlier than feels natural – it will take some pace out of your acceleration, but as that's our first tip it isn't a bad thing. If you have a fuel efficiency display, you'll be surprised how immediate an impact this has.

You may also be surprised at the impact on DPF if a modern diesel
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,531 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    LindaJoan wrote: »
    Also the course advice was designed to reduce speeding and make roads safer.
    Well. I'm glad to hear that you actually knew why why you were there... Could it be that it the advice was actually intended to discourage people from accelerating, changing up and driving at 40 in 30 zones without noticing/thinking?
    I've got an indicator on the dash that tells me when to change up and that definitely wants me to be in 4th at 30 mph and 6th at 40mph. I was assuming that Ford actually know what's best for their engine... I don't follow it slavishly though - because I can read the road and the car can't.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    I was always taught to try to get up to the highest gear as early as possible, but I've also been told that is now not valid advice these days.
  • sevenhills
    sevenhills Posts: 5,887 Forumite
    Options
    NBLondon wrote: »
    I've got an indicator on the dash that tells me when to change up and that definitely wants me to be in 4th at 30 mph and 6th at 40mph. I was assuming that Ford actually know what's best for their engine... I don't follow it slavishly though - because I can read the road and the car can't.

Me too. But do computers achieve a better MPG than the average driver?
  • neilmcl
    Options
    Know your car's engine. Every type of engine has a peak/optimum power range. To get the best from your engine including optimising fuel efficiency you need to be in the correct gear that keeps you in this band. For diesels it tends to be in the 1800 to 2200rpm range, for petrol this will be higher

Also listen to what your engine is doing, it will tell you if you're in the wrong gear. Any decent driver should not have to look at the car's dials to know whether they're driving efficiently or not.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »

If programmed correctly, I would back a computer to drive more efficiently than a driver.
  • neilmcl
    Options
    sevenhills wrote: »
    As per my post, the ECU is programmed to know exactly what the correct power band is for that engine and will inform you which gear you need to be in at any one time to achieve this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure