Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonah61
    • By Jonah61 8th Aug 18, 6:29 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonah61
    Fuel Saving
    • 8th Aug 18, 6:29 AM
    Fuel Saving 8th Aug 18 at 6:29 AM
    To get the ultimate saving of fuel. As you may know when you take your foot off the accelerator the fuel is shut off and the engine 'brakes' or slows down the car. So the challenge is not to accelerate the car too much so that you need to take your foot off straight away. Really that means 'feathering' the throttle as you travel - ie don't press the accelerator too hard so that you have to take your foot off more or less straight away to slow down because the traffic is slowing. It is easier to do if you allow just a little more of a gap from the car in front and read the traffic better. It takes time to learn how to do this, but it does help your concentration on road awareness. I have found I can get up to 4mpg with my eco-drive Ford focus.
    Jonah61
Page 1
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 8th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 2,370 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    To get the ultimate saving of fuel. As you may know when you take your foot off the accelerator the fuel is shut off and the engine 'brakes' or slows down the car. So the challenge is not to accelerate the car too much so that you need to take your foot off straight away. Really that means 'feathering' the throttle as you travel - ie don't press the accelerator too hard so that you have to take your foot off more or less straight away to slow down because the traffic is slowing. It is easier to do if you allow just a little more of a gap from the car in front and read the traffic better. It takes time to learn how to do this, but it does help your concentration on road awareness. I have found I can get up to 4mpg with my eco-drive Ford focus.
    Jonah61
    Originally posted by Jonah61
    4 mpg? Wow, you've really mastered the technique.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 8th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 8,144 Posts
    • 7,468 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:14 AM
    I assume a 4mpg improvement.

It's all about anticipation - don't accelerate up to a speed you need to immediately slow back down to, ease off and coast to slow down rather than using brakes - and moderation - accelerate more slowly, drive slightly slower.

Maintenance is important too - cars in good condition with tyres at the right pressure will be better on fuel. Carrying less junk means (marginally) less weight to move about.
    • MovingForwards
    • By MovingForwards 8th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 415 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    MovingForwards
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    You know what you could try? Lift you foot off the accelorator, as the engine starts to slow change gear, keep doing that through the gears and it is 'engine braking' saves wear and tear on your brakes!
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 3,144 Posts
    • 2,210 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    ...keep doing that through the gears and it is 'engine braking' saves wear and tear on your brakes!
    Originally posted by MovingForwards
    And increases wear & tear on your engine & gearbox!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 3,443 Posts
    • 2,101 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Which is why the technique was abandoned by professional drivers about half a century ago.
    • Johno100
    • By Johno100 8th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 4,753 Thanks
    Johno100
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    Jonah61
    Originally posted by Jonah61
    Trust me life really is too short for things like that.
    • Arklight
    • By Arklight 8th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 1,518 Posts
    • 2,368 Thanks
    Arklight
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    4 mpg? Wow, you've really mastered the technique.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 7,575 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    almillar
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    You know what you could try? Lift you foot off the accelorator, as the engine starts to slow change gear, keep doing that through the gears and it is 'engine braking' saves wear and tear on your brakes!
    Don't waste your time - try to pick ONE gear that will give the deceleration required. Every time you use your clutch on the way down, you'll be burning fuel.
    Offset any wear and tear on your engine/clutch/gearbox against the fuel saved.
    • Jackmydad
    • By Jackmydad 8th Aug 18, 2:18 PM
    • 4,253 Posts
    • 13,937 Thanks
    Jackmydad
    Surely "the ultimate saving in fuel" is to not use the car?
    If you do use it, then fuel economy is just good driving technique. No hard acceleration or braking, and anticipation etc.
    "Luck happens where hard work meets opportunity"
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 2,728 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Nope. Its the way I drive and I've done 100,000 miles driving my current Mondeo and 75000 miles in my previous Mondeo like that. Current Mondeo is on 134k and tows a 26ft caravan up a 1 in 6 hill just fine so I'm assuming the clutch in that is OK. Previous Mondeo I sold with 168k on and the clutch in that was fine too. Gearbox fine in both cases.

The 44 tonne lorry I drive is designed to slow down like that. It also has downhill descent speed control so uses engine braking to maintain speed when descending hills. Our fleet is on 700,000km and most of the fleet spend at least once a day descending hills for 3 or 4 minutes at a time 100RPM from the redline using engine braking to maintain the speed.

It isn't the 1970s any more.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 8th Aug 18, 8:04 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    z1a
    4MPG saving, WOW, get that RTW cruise booked!
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Aug 18, 2:29 AM
    • 27,796 Posts
    • 11,277 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    So the eco focus now does 34mpg instead of 30?

Care to explain why my car uses less fuel in a lower gear?

Why can i get excellent fuel economy at an indicated 80mph? Improvement over 60mph in the same gear.

Seems like you have a lot more to learn.

Curious... Is this 4mpg saving on a single journey or an average over 10000 miles?
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 9th Aug 18, 6:39 AM
    • 1,190 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    It is difficult to drive like that because people over take you to fill the gap you have left and you end up having to break to stop at the lights.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 9th Aug 18, 11:24 AM
    • 27,796 Posts
    • 11,277 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    OP created a new account with more lies.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 9th Aug 18, 1:58 PM
    • 4,856 Posts
    • 3,911 Thanks
    cajef
    keep doing that through the gears and it is 'engine braking' saves wear and tear on your brakes!
    Brake pads are a lot cheaper than clutches and gearboxes.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 21,228 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    agrinnall

There seem to be an awful lot of people in this thread who have completely missed the obvious irony in your post.
    • jeradon
    • By jeradon 15th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    jeradon
    Just be gentle on the gas and brake pedals to improve gas mileage.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 15th Aug 18, 8:37 AM
    • 5,143 Posts
    • 20,475 Thanks
    Merlin139
    Just be gentle on the gas and brake pedals to improve gas mileage.
    Originally posted by jeradon
    Gas Mileage? What is gas Mileage?
    3.975 kWp PV SolarEdge System South Facing 10% Shading Installed 21 May 2014 Located in Mid East Yorkshire.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 15th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 3,161 Posts
    • 1,676 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Gas Mileage? What is gas Mileage?
    Originally posted by Merlin139

I've found that it improves with natural compared to the old town gas.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

526Posts Today

5,736Users online

Martin's Twitter