Marrakech Currency - Dirhams

Options
Hi,

I understand that the Moroccan Dirham is a closed currency - it is available in the UK but rates are poor.

I am travelling there for 5 days soon, what is the best way to get the currency?

I have a Revolut card but would like to take some so i have some ready for arrival. Better to exchange in the UK (at the poor rates) or wait till i get there?

Thanks

Comments

• bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,117 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When you arrive at Marrakech airport there are plenty of exchanges in the arrivals area. Take Sterling cash and you will be able to change that to Dirhams there. From memory the exchange rate is basically fixed so you won’t get ripped off there and will get a better rate than here in the UK.

Same as when you come home you can change any left over Dirhams to Sterling at the airport exchanges.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Or just use an ATM. They tend to charge around 20-30 dirhams but with a fee free card it's likely to better value than changing cash. You could take some GBP as well which you could change if necessary
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    I agree. Sterling cash and fee free plastic.

An ATM withdrawal charge of £2 on a £200 withdrawal is still only 1% That still gets you 12.263 currently.
    12.385 for purchases via Mastercard.

Be careful at exchange places; https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293732-i9447-k8488967-o70-Ripped_off_by_Global_Exchange_Casablanca_Morocco-Casablanca_Grand_Casablanca_Region.html
  • steve1500
    steve1500 Posts: 1,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We have just come back from Tangiers. We just used a cash machine. Didn't take any sterling

Virtually everywhere we went, just wanted Dirhams although a few places would accept Euros 10:1

Likewise very few places actually accepted plastic
    Private Parking Tickets - Make sure you put your Subject Access Request in after 25th May 2018 - It's free & ask for everything, don't forget the DVLA :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure