Partial S&S ISA transfer - HL to Vanguard

Options
I have a S&S ISA with HL that I have been contributing to for a few years and have built up a fairly large holding in a Lifestrategy fund. Is it possible to just transfer out the Lifestrategy fund into an ISA I hold with Vanguard? I will have bought into the fund for this and previous years.
The cost saving will more than cover the £25 transfer fee if it is possible.
Thanks
R.
16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j

Comments

• Reed_Richards
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can transfer the fund intact or if you have to sell it within the HL ISA, transfer the funds to Vanguard then buy back in. So if that is what you mean by your question, then I'm sorry but I haven't given you an answer.
    Reed
  • Rheumatoid
    Options
    I'm not sure if you can transfer the fund intact or if you have to sell it within the HL ISA, transfer the funds to Vanguard then buy back in. So if that is what you mean by your question, then I'm sorry but I haven't given you an answer.

Thanks. I guess the preferred option is to transfer the fund but I am still not sure if I could just transfer cash from the proceeds that would have been contributed to for this and previous ISA years.
    16 Panel (250W JASolar) 4kWp, facing 170 degrees, 40 degree slope, Solis Inverter. Installed 29/9/2015 - £4700 (Norfolk Solar Together Scheme); 9.6kWh US2000C Pylontech batteries + Solis Inverter installed 12/4/2022 Year target (PVGIS-CMSAF) = 3880kWh - Installer estimate 3452 kWh:Average over 6 years = 4400 :j
  • Reed_Richards
    Options
    You can certainly make a partial transfer as cash. The only restriction is that if this cash includes contributions you have made this tax year then any further contributions to a S&S ISA this year must be to the new provider (Vanguard in your case).

AFAIK there is nothing in the ISA rules to prevent you transferring the fund; it just depends if HL and Vanguard will play along.
    Reed
  • Rheumatoid
    Options
    I'll email them, thanks
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You can certainly make a partial transfer as cash.
    I'm not sure this is true - according to Vanguard you can't make a partial transfer of cash, only investments already in Vanguard funds, other funds OR CASH will remain with the original ISA platform. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chris1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is true - according to Vanguard you can't make a partial transfer of cash, only investments already in Vanguard funds, other funds OR CASH will remain with the original ISA platform. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    Seems very unlikely. How would anyone transfer from a provider who didn't offer Vanguard funds? How would anyone transfer in a cash ISA?
  • chris1
    chris1 Posts: 582 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    masonic wrote: »
    Seems very unlikely. How would anyone transfer from a provider who didn't offer Vanguard funds? How would anyone transfer in a cash ISA?

As I understand it, you can transfer the whole of an ISA without problem, but a PARTIAL transfer of an ISA is only possible for those investments already in Vanguard funds, any other funds OR CASH will have to remain with the original ISA platform, which is not what an earlier post (#4) said. Very inconvenient!
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,278 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Indeed, a very strange state of affairs for which the solution would be to carry out a partial transfer to a cash ISA, then a full transfer of the resultant cash ISA to Vanguard. Possibly two partial transfers if you wish to transfer Vanguard funds in specie as well as cash.

Quite what Vanguard is trying to achieve by forcing customers through such a workaround is a mystery to me.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure