PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Options

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Re cyber there have been claims that computer systems are already being targetted including domestic.
    So aside from getting in the usual cash and supplies, I would beef up home computer security and back up info. Plus so much of my info is online these days, I'm actually putting some stuff down on paper :D
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I have everything on paper pineapple. Not because I'm the World's Greatest Prepper - just because I'm old and that's how I do things :D
    Cyber attacks might hit the NHS again - maybe we should stash some prescription meds. I have a lot stashed :o
    The other thing that I'm concerned about is water. IF the elect went off for long, or if they targeted the water treatment centres, then no water for us. And imagine how quickly shelves of bottled water would empty in the shops....
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    just saying, oilseed rape in the field behind the orchard is almost fully yellow, it will be fully open in a day or so and the warmer weather will make the VOCs, terpenes, rise and spread. These are what causes allergic reactions in certain people, you are likely to smell that very dense scent in a couple of days. It isn`t the pollen, which is heavy and falls close. I would make sure that anti-histamines are available. I always keep a box in a drawer and in my bike bag. I am not allergic but had a bumble bee sting in my mouth once, an anti-histamine at home quickly sorted the swelling but I always carry them since

I have already put my filter systems on, in the bedroom and living room and tonight will be closing vents on that side of the house
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 17 April 2018 at 5:43PM
    Options
    DD was stung by a wasp last year. I didn't carry antihistamines as the hayfever season had ended but because she hadn't been stung before I was worried about her reacting to the sting. Cue one very worried mam running half a mile up hill to get home. I started with chest pains almost immediately - that running caused heart failure. The we didn't know at the time but with hindsight it's probably what happens when the auld ticker had been inflamed for the year previous.

The moral of the story is carry antihistamines ;) but bigger than that I believe I had a guardian angel that day. If it wasn't for a harmless threat to my child I never would have pushed myself beyond my physical limit and wouldn't know about some heart issues I have. Had I been prepared properly I may still never know, ignorant an causing more damage. Funny old world!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    IF the elect went off for long, or if they targeted the water treatment centres, then no water for us.

That's why I have stored water. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It is normally the second or later sting fuddle, the first one tells the body that it is the enemy. However most people are not allergic to wasp stings, don`t worry

Sitting here with sunscreen on, perfect weather for me to get these big rendered retaining walls painted. I am prepped and ready, just waiting for the paint, which could well arrive too late for today. I know I will do a good job, I have very safe ladders and am always careful and will save £200+ just got to move the gravel back from the walls and I am done with prep. Perfect weather and I am excited to get it done.

The swallows are back, heard them this morning :D
  • Cocketts
    Cocketts Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I saw the first two swallows too!!!:j:j:j:j
    Everything will be alright in the end - and if it's not alright, it's not the end ........
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Fuddle,

Kittie is right. I was stung a year ago by a wasp. (First time in 56 years!). It was not painful and not even a mark. In the next couple of weeks I was stung twice more. Very painful and my foot swelled enough for me to go to the doctor. Took antihistamines but was a while before I could get a sandal on. Now I avoid them when I can.
  • Mdreams
    Options
    Google Rationing it got us through our " Our Darkest Hour " @BrantonUnited #NewAdvice
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    I've only been stung once too.i'll be certain to carry antihistamines at all times.

Can anyone tell me about ticks, I what I should be mindful of, observant about and how to treat. I'm spending a lot of time in Scotland and want to avoid infection etc

Hey Mar you do right being worried about losing water in that kind of scenario. I'll never be complacent about the issue because it doesn't matter how much I have in stock I have a family of four, a pet and a fledgling allotment without time on my side to build a decent water reserve. My stocks will be long gone before any treatment works sabotage are made safe.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure