Brexit and everyday life

Options

Comments

• SuperPikachu
    Options
    thorsoak wrote: »
    So the next thing we will be hearing about will be the ghost towns and villages of Lincolnshire, where the schools are deserted, the fields have produce rotting in the ground, the shops will be closed - and the remaining inhabitants will be going around muttering "this ain't wot we voted for".

Yes because that happened before we "joined" the EU didn't it ...
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Options
    Yes because that happened before we "joined" the EU didn't it ...

The world has changed, we are entangled, it’s not going to be easy to just undo decades of partnership!

If we weren’t in, and the vote was whether to join or not, I reckon I would have voted no probably. But it’s more complicated than that now.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I really just want to know when people are going to stop going on about it. Politicians, protesters and the media have talked about it so much for so long, I genuinely don't have the energy to care any more. Can someone just tell me the outcome when it's over with and I'll deal with whatever I need to deal with then?

Sadly, there is an element that is using attrition to create that sort of apathy. Briefly, if a vote was put to the people, they're hoping that there would be a large enough majority for 'just get it over with' regardless of long term consequences.

I think you're right about the complexities red squirrel. There is no going back now as even if we had a vote that resulted in 'we've changed our mind, we want to stay' IMO we'd be forever viewed and treated differently by the other members.
  • AylesburyDuck
    Options
    ;) I can see this is going to end up a popcorn thread!
    Fully paid up member of the ignore button club.
    If it walks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck, it's a Duck.
  • BucksLady
    Options
    With respect to Brexit, everything is still ''so much in the air'', that I don't see how any questions we might have, can be answered with any degree of certainty.
  • ManofLeisure_2
    Options

We’re here to help, so ask away,

- Team DOT

Without wishing to appear rude, I'm surprised you have the time to deal with questions from this forum.

I don't have any questions, but have to say that I'm extremely concerned that while so much focus has been placed upon ''Brexit'', the govenment seems to have ''taken their eye off the ball'' in respect to the many problems which face the UK.
  • Mr_Costcutter
    Options
    It's my understanding that preparations for leaving the EU cost at least £400 million in the 2017/18 financial year and that the cost will jump to at least £900 million in 2018/19. With the proposed plan, I'm wondering what the revised figures for making our final exit will be?
  • BucksLady
    Options
    With the proposed plan, I'm wondering what the revised figures for making our final exit will be?

Better make sure you're sitting down when the figures are released :D
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,294 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A must read for those of you who travel a lot to/from EU. This applies from midnight (Central European time) on 30/3/19:

https ://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info/files/brexit_files/info_site/travelling.pdf
    (remove space after https)

Short Version:

- Passports must be valid for three months AFTER the intended departure date from the EU member state. Therefore if you cannot give evidence of your departure date you will need 6 months validity on entry.

- For short stay visitors (tourism and business visits where you are not taking paid employment in the EU) you can only stay 90 days in every 180 day period. If you are a frequent short stay visitor this will result in a complex calculation to work out how many days you have remaining before you travel so you can convince the border guard that you are leaving before your entitlement is up.

- You cannot use the EU lane at Passport Control anymore. You must use the 'all other countries' lane (along with the Russians, Chinese etc.).

- You will be subjected to a such greater set of questions regarding the nature of your visit including where you are staying, your method of travel, whether you have the financial means to support yourself and return home.

- You will be subjected to exit checks to record your date of departure and ensure you didn't overstay.

- As a short stay visitor you won't need a full Visa, but when ETIAS is introduce you will need to pre-authorise your travel online.

- If you are a resident in the EU or are employed there you will need to show your proof of residence and will need a full long-stay Visa.

- Reduced duty free allowances will apply (implementation may be delayed by transition period / customs union).

- EU Pet Passport validity dependent on whether EU 'lists' the UK as meeting animal health guarantees

- European Firearms passes no longer valid

- A Green Card insurance document will be required to prove you have car insurance cover. International Driving Permits will be required. UK Disabled Parking badges will not be valid in the EU.

- EHIC no longer valid and you will require medical insurance.

- UK citizens cannot seek assistance from EU27 consulates.

- EU compensation for travel delays no longer valid on UK carriers (but interestingly will on an EU carrier)

- No longer any EU limits on interchange fees charged for payment card transactions

- No longer any protection on Roaming charges or ability to access UK bought internet content whilst in the EU
    Didn't you think that the pre-amble was relevant, basically pointing out that it is the worst case scenario if there is no deal at all
    In view of the considerable uncertainties, in particular concerning the content of a possible withdrawal agreement, persons who plan to travel (for private or business reasons) from the United Kingdom to the EU (and vice-versa) on the withdrawal date or thereafter, and businesses providing services in relation to such travel (travel organisers, travel agencies, car rental companies, trade fairs, transport companies, etc.) are reminded of the legal repercussions, which need to be considered when the United Kingdom becoming a third country.
    Subject to any transitional arrangement that may be contained in a possible withdrawal agreement, as of the withdrawal date, the withdrawal of the United Kingdom has the following consequences for travellers from the United Kingdom to the EU and vice-versa:
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    For people like me and Mrs May what reassurances can you give us about availability of medication.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure