Airline Credit Cards Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    insurgente wrote: »
    I have a US passport so wouldn't worry too much about passing through there....except for the waaaaay longer journey times as well.
    Yes, the US passport will help, but you would still have to go through immigration and customs, collect your baggage and recheck it for the onward flight. The concept of transit is almost unknown to US authorities.

And go through the disgusting 'security' checks. They enhanced these recently, and many US and non-US travellers are shocked by the new personally invasive procedures. Much discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travel-safety-security-222/

Much as I love the US and its citizens, my feelings don't extend to the TSA and its procedures.
  • Bluebell74_2
    Options
    I've noticed that Martin's article doesn't mention the Virgin White card at all? Does anyone know why this is and how the 2 cards compare? From the research we've done it looks as though the Virgin White card might be better? Apologies if you've covered this before but any advice would be gratefully received.
  • xycom1
    xycom1 Posts: 784 Forumite
    Options
    It is a major oversight IMO that the article doesn't mention the VS cards, or Amex Membership Rewards which provides great flexibility if you are a member of multiple FF schemes.

Also, a handy hint - MBNA discontinued the bmi Mastercard a while ago. But you can still apply for it by telephone, just not online. Most of the good reward cards are Amex - so having a mastercard is useful for other merchants who don't take Amex. It only accrues at 1 mile per £ spent, but it's better than nothing and there is an introductory rate and IIRC 12000miles bonus when you spend your first £250.
  • barkinghere
    Options
    Is there a VISA card for air miles? Not many businesses take Amex and I would love to use a VISA card to get as many air miles as I can. Any suggestions?
  • jen245
    jen245 Posts: 1,606 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is there a VISA card for air miles? Not many businesses take Amex and I would love to use a VISA card to get as many air miles as I can. Any suggestions?

MBNA do some Amex/Visa duo airline card accounts, where you have 2 cards on one account. I have the BMI Amex/Visa duo

http://www.mbna.co.uk/choose-credit-card/index.php
    Debt free and staying that way! :beer:
  • post-it
    post-it Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    JJJBBB wrote: »
    I've had a BMI Amex card for a while, and have amassed a load of airmiles. But the airmiles turn out to be practically useless! Every time I've tried to use them, the "taxes and fees" that BMI tacks on top (which consist of far more than just taxes), amount to more than the total fare available on other airlines, or even on BMI itself!

Example: I've just tried to book a roundtrip from London to Vienna. As well as the 9000 airmiles, BMI were going to charge me GBP 113 for "taxes and fees." Of course, taxes aren't anything like that much: I clicked on the link for an explanation and I found that almost have of that charge was a "fuel and insurance surcharge." Meanwhile, going through Expedia, I found the very same BMI flights - same date & time - selling for GBP 103 (total price, taxes and fees included). So paying the fare turns out to be cheaper than not paying the fare!!

This is an extreme example, but in several other cases I've found that BMI's "taxes and fees" are more expensive than the entire cost of a similar flight on a different airline.

Has anyone managed to use the points in such a way that it actually represents a real saving? If so, please tell me how!

Good for business class flights though, try booking moscow and compare it with a pure cash booking
  • Jabrul
    Jabrul Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Just noticed the BMI credit card offer, where spend £250 and you'll get 20,000 destination miles. Is that offer only one per customer per lifetime?
    I took advantage from a similar offer last year but its up again, would I not be allowed?
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    Options
    Jabrul wrote: »
    Just noticed the BMI credit card offer, where spend £250 and you'll get 20,000 destination miles. Is that offer only one per customer per lifetime?
    I took advantage from a similar offer last year but its up again, would I not be allowed?

Yep, you can only do it once.

If you look at the flyertalk.com forum, you will see that a few years ago people were repeatedly opening and closing accounts and banking 20,000 miles each time. It really did get ridiculous. So now it's a once off offer. (It's somewhere in the T+Cs.)
  • kittykat23uk
    Options
    Hi all,

I've had the BMI card for a while and have been trying to accrue as many miles as I can. But having heard their partnership with Star Alliance is coming to an end and having a trip planned I thought I would spend my miles and top it up with cash. The flight I was looking at was over £1000 economy. But when I called them I was initially told that the flight I wanted wasn't avaiable. However they offered another option with similar timings with a different airline. But then I was told, "oh we have only business class on the return leg". Oh dear! I though, I expect with the taxes and cash to top up the miles I won't be making a saving at all (I had checked the tax and top up amount on the original flight option and it was coming to over £700). But to my surprise, even with the return leg on business class it's costing me less than £600! The same flight in economy both ways is currently at over £1100. So it really does show I made a good saving :D

I got this from them so might be useful info for those looking to take out the card:

I'm writing to advise you of some important changes to the Diamond Club programme following the sale of bmi to IAG, the owner of British Airways, on 20 April 2012.

As a result, there are some key changes to your Diamond Club membership, which I would like to outline below, which also includes an invitation from British Airways.

Announcement of bmi's exit from Star Alliance
    A new partnership with British Airways
    Business as usual for Diamond Club

1. bmi's exit from Star Alliance

I'd firstly like to advise that from 20 April bmi will no longer be a member of Star Alliance.

However, you will still be able to enjoy the following Star Alliance benefits associated with your membership tier level until 31 May 2012.

You will continue to earn membership status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on bmi and Star Alliance carriers (excluding Lufthansa Group airlines) until 31 May 2012
    For all Star Alliance carriers you will also be able to take advantage of your bmi and Star Alliance status benefits, including lounge access, priority check-in and priority boarding until 31 May 2012
    From 1 June 2012 any benefits associated with your tier membership and the ability to earn status miles and earn and spend destinations miles on Star Alliance airlines will end
    Star Alliance award bookings made before 31 May 2012 will be honoured

For further information including changes to award bookings, retrospective claims and award flight bookings please visit flybmi.com

2. A new partnership with British Airways

We're pleased to announce that Diamond Club members will benefit from a new partnership with British Airways from 20 April 2012.

All members will be able to earn destinations miles on BA, for flights taken from 20 April 2012, and we will shortly introduce the option to spend your destinations miles on BA award flights
    From today, Diamond Club Gold and Silver members will be able to access the British Airways lounges at London Heathrow and London Gatwick, when flying with bmi or British Airways - please present your Diamond Club Gold or Silver card on arrival to gain access

As part of the transition of bmi into British Airways, from 1 May 2012 British Airways is inviting you, as a Diamond Club member, to also join the Executive Club at your equivalent tier status level. Diamond Club Gold customers will be invited to become Gold members of the Executive Club and Silver members to become Silver, which will be in addition to your Diamond Club membership. Further details will follow shortly.

You will also be able to transfer your destinations miles to Executive Club Avios points at a rate of 1:1. British Airways will also be offering Executive Club customers the ability to transfer from Executive Club Avios points into destinations miles at a rate of 1:1. For example 100 destinations miles could be transferred into 100 Avios points and vice versa.

We are creating an online tool that will allow Diamond Club and Executive Club customers to undertake transfers, which will be available from 3 July 2012. We will contact you nearer that date to explain how the tool will work and how to access it.

3. Business as usual for Diamond Club

Although today we are announcing a number of changes to the programme, we would like to assure you that it is business as usual for Diamond Club, including members who have a bmi Credit Card Account with MBNA.

We very much appreciate your loyalty to bmi and hope that you continue to enjoy the benefits of Diamond Club membership.

For more information on the changes please visit flybmi.com

All the best

JO
  • SecretlyShopping
    Options
    Hello all, I need some advice. I'm looking to get a credit card that lets me collect airmiles. I travel approx one week per month for work (although this is more often on Eurostar than by air). All the same I spend a good amount each month on top of my own spending that I reclaim from my employer.

Another reason for wanting an airmiles card is that I'm buying an engagement ring and thought I can probably save some money on the honeymoon flights (if she says yes!) by paying for the ring on card and get a points bonus (18k on BA Amex I think).

The reason that I need advise is that I might extend my ring budget by using a 0% card. I'm lucky to have a good salary and a thrifty mentality so I have no fears about repaying. But the proposal is a last minute decision and the perfect date is coming up so I'd like to buy soon, pay later. However, I've never had any credit card or loan before and I'm unsure about transfering balances, applying for two cards in short space of time and which cards to go for etc.

If there's any people out there who are good enough to offer some advice I'd be hugely grateful.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure