Wrong service done.

Options
Hi. I had my Vauxhall Astra fully serviced last year at my local garage. I have returned to the same garage this year expecting a interim service but was told i needed a full one. So i allowed it to go ahead because the garage i go to i trust. I havent paid for it yet because he was in a rush and it was done on the weekend and he shuts at 12. I have found last years receipt to confirm that the full service was done so in my mind i am paying for something that didnt need doing. I assume he has fitted all parts relating to a full service and that now the parts are used and cant be returned. I need some advice on how to approach this.
Hope you can help. Thanks

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How many miles since last service ?
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you trust the garage just pay up. It'll cost you more in the long run if you need to look elsewhere when you need work doing.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    You confirmed they could do the work, they did the job, pay them.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Franco42
    Options
    Hi. Dont know about you but i like paying for things that need doing not what garages say i need doing. I put my trust in professionals and they dont know what service i need. I could end up being ripped off. My friend is a Vauxhall masterfit mechanic and he says i only needed a interim service. I have a suspicion the garage in question either dont know what the service plan for my car is, or is trying to line his pockets with uncalled for work.
  • Franco42
    Options
    When the garage asked me what service i required, i told him interim. When i tirned up with the car, he asked me how many miles has the car had done. I told him 9,000 since last service. He then said it needs a full service. So it was him who advised me. I put my faith in him. I never informed him to do anything.
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Franco42 wrote: »
    Hi. Dont know about you but i like paying for things that need doing not what garages say i need doing. I put my trust in professionals and they dont know what service i need. I could end up being ripped off. My friend is a Vauxhall masterfit mechanic and he says i only needed a interim service. I have a suspicion the garage in question either dont know what the service plan for my car is, or is trying to line his pockets with uncalled for work.

In your opening post you said you trusted them. :wall:
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The terms "interim service" and "full service" can cover a multitude of sins. What were you expecting would be done, and what has been done above that? What's the difference in cost?

Too much maintenance never hurt a vehicle. And, instead of a "full service" next time, you can just get an "interim" done. So it's not even as if it's cost you any extra in the long run.
  • angrycrow
    angrycrow Posts: 1,078 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Most manufactures recommended service intervals are far too long anyway. They set them at a level that ensures the car will service the manufacturers warranty period.

I always felt 20000 or 2 years which is set on a lot of modern cars was too long. My cars have a full service every 12 months regardless of mileage covered although I save money by doing it myself if the car does not have full dealer service history.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2017 at 9:29PM
    Options
    Franco42 wrote: »
    When the garage asked me what service i required, i told him interim. When i tirned up with the car, he asked me how many miles has the car had done. I told him 9,000 since last service. He then said it needs a full service. So it was him who advised me. I put my faith in him. I never informed him to do anything.

But at this point you "let them go ahead", when you should have said "no thanks, just do the interim service", trust is not even a factor.
    This is the important differentiation, if i'd been in your shoes I would have said "NO", if they then did it anyway, i'd tear them a new A'hole.

Besides, mileage is not the primary measure of the required service, so I don't why your friend would go by this. The service schedule will say X miles OR X years, "whichever comes first".
    There is a valid reason for this, there are many valid reasons for this and this something that low mileage drivers choose to ignore at their peril.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Shouldn't the service book say what needs doing at each service? That's what the garage should have done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure