HASTINGS INS money grabbing !!

Options
Just received a call from relative who is insured with Hastings - having received her phone bill realises that for merely reporting an accident on the telephone number provided in the policy it cost her £8.62 - are they really so hard up of funds that they have to scratch around picking up every penny ?

Comments

• paddyandstumpy
    Options
    She must have called an 0845 or 0870 type number.

I've just googled "Hastings report a claim" and the top link has an 0800 number which is free from landlines and mobiles.

Why didn't she do that?
  • losgiganteskid
    Options
    because she did what most people would do - looked in her policy documents
  • Faith177
    Faith177 Posts: 2,927 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Sorry I might be a bit thick here but surely that is what her phone company has charged her so not Hastings or am i missing something?
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Day 27/04/2013, Baby Moshie due 29/06/2019 :T
  • rudekid48
    rudekid48 Posts: 2,382 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    From the Hastings Policy document...

Important numbers
    To report an incident or make a claim call us on: 0800 035 4260 Or from outside the UK call: 00 44 1424 738 585 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

Did she make the call from a mobile?
    All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.
  • losgiganteskid
    Options
    Faith177 wrote: »
    Sorry I might be a bit thick here or am i missing something?

Right on both counts !! :D the phone number Hastings provide in their policy document is a premium rate number where the revenue collected for the calls are shared between the phone operator and their client ie Hastings. Given that reporting a new accident is likely to be a lengthy process resulting in a long call this should be no more than either a freephone number or national rate standard charge. Believe the call lasted just under 1 HOUR !!
  • losgiganteskid
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »

Important numbers
    To report an incident or make a claim call us on: 0800 035 4260 Or from outside the UK call: 00 44 1424 738 585 (24 hours a day, 365 days a year)

The call was made from a landline - ive seen the policy document and in the one I looked at the number is 08445611417
  • paddyandstumpy
    Options
    If it was a well held secret that 0845 numbers cost, I may be more sympathetic.

Knowing that 0845 cost; I'd try and do something about it before calling.

Regardless, if it's a non fault claim your relative can claim the cost of the calls back from the third party, along with their excess.
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    rudekid48 wrote: »

Important numbers

There are a number of policy documents

https://www.hastingsdirect.com/car-insurance/policy-booklets.shtml

At a glance, the ones for policies starting with "XA" list an 0800 number, the ones for policies starting "H" list an 0844 number. I am guessing the difference depends on who actually underwrites the policies.
  • Ian011
    Ian011 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    FCA regulations effective 26 October 2015 require financial services firms including banks, card companies and insurers to provide an 01, 02, 03 or 080 number for contact by existing customers.

Most companies have complied. However, the 0844 number used by Hastings clearly breaches those regulations. Ask Hastings for a refund of the call costs and lodge a complaint with the FCA.

The 0844 number should have been shut off long ago.
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    because she did what most people would do - looked in her policy documents
    Maybe she looked at historic policy docs, not current ones.

In any case, she ought to be aware which numbers not to use if she wants to avoid expensive phone calls, perhaps something you can help her with?

On a practical note, if there is a liable third party involved then she can include this in her claim for uninsured losses
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure