PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Options

Comments

• nursemaggie
    nursemaggie Posts: 2,608 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We once had baby rat in the kitchen sink. I don't know how but the dog and I were on the kitchen table instantly. I don't remember getting up there but we both stood shaking.

Hubby said "It's only a baby and its dead now you silly gu88ers."

I was only about 23 so I would be a lot more spritely then.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I could simply not imagine still working in the City at my age, I was burnt out well before I left. I have been doing two adult education classes this term 10 till 4, Monday and Thursday and I have been shocked at how exhausted I am. I am so thankful I was able to take early retirement. Maybe I could have just about kept going, working full time, though it's hard to imagine, but having stopped, I can't now ramp things up again.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    I think life's like a wee country road - twisty and turny and hilly. And we just have to walk along it never knowing what is ahead. It's exciting.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    It can be a real bumpy road for some, as well as twisty, right from the start, from the day they were born. Our younger ones, the ones in young adulthood now, how the heck will they cope with all the stresses they get and then having to stay at work until my age now? I never had to do CVs and stand up performances to get a job, performances, targets and 000s mile on fume filled roads. Life, for me, was far less stressful than that and if truth be told, I would not want to be young again. I would like to turn the clock back, yes of course, that is different
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    kittie, you put my feelings into words. No way would I want to go back and live the life my children and grandchildren have to live. I remember when life was hard but we knew that it would get better. I can't see that the younger generations will ever have that certainty.
    On the other hand I would love to be younger but still know what I know now.

One thing about being retired is that weekends don't have the same significance. Although thinking about it, when I was working full time and bringing up a family as a single mum, weekends were a whirl of cleaning, washing, shopping, cooking and generally preparing house and people for the week ahead. On Mondays I went back to work exhausted before the week began. So that Friday night feeling came at a price.

I see that it has been raining in the night but I believe that today shouldn't be too bad weatherwise. No exciting plans, just a few more steps along mar's winding lane to see what occurs.

Whatever you are up to this weekend, make it a good one.

THOUGHT FOR TODAY

Let your weird light shine bright so the other weirdos know where to find you.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • Jazee
    Jazee Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning all. I haven't read fully back but thought I'd chip in anyway.

Until recently I was working full time with a commute of at least 3 hours a day, earning more than I needed for bills etc, but was getting worn out and short tempered with those around me. I've now left my job. I still have quite a few years to go till proper retirement and there are still bills to pay, BUT I am being far more picky about what I'm going for. I will not work full time again and I won't travel into the city again.

Its not that I feel I'm slowing down, its more that I want to enjoy other things too while I do still have the energy.

I'll shut up now.
    Spend less now, work less later.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    My winding road leads me to the allotment today as today is shed putting up day! I'm so excited. DH has been working on it all winter. It originated as a rotting shed belonging to my sister. It emerges filled with wood scavenged from various places and will have a free rubberised roof. We've even got slabs for the base for diddly squat. The only thing we've paid for was the purple paint. Did you read that, purple paint! My little space :D

Better get up then! Have a good day. :)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    post some piccies Fuddle. ( I'd love to see the old f**rts faces when they see your little purple paradise go up)
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Monna - with you about weekends now I'm retired. When I was working the Friday mantra for most of us was paid work finished, now go home and do the other job!
    Quiet day today - taking up curtains for DiL.
    Fuddle - the purple shed sounds brilliant but I bet you'll have complaints from old fogies! Are you able to position it so you can sit outside it in the sunshine after some hard labour?
    Have a good day all
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • FairyPrincessk
    Options
    Love Fuddle's purple shed!

Nursemaggie--I'm fairly tall (not as tall as some on here, about 5ft 7in) and people still try to stand where I'm standing, walk straight into me when they're 4 abreast and I'm alone on the pavement; being rammed in the shins by prams and making my commute with two men's elbows, one on each side, literally layered on top of me are my personal favourites. I do my best to be polite, but I've given up on trying not to take up space.

Well, teaching is officially over for this term. I've still got mountains to do next week of the writing and research variety, and of course I got emails late last night wanting more, more, more. Part of what is so exhausting is constantly working out when to be firm with students who haven't listened/didn't do something on time etc. (which itself can be a kindness) and when to temper the rules with kindness because we're all human. Of course, in fairness, most students have no idea that teaching them is only about 1/3 of what my job entails and when I set those deadlines it isn't just to make their lives difficult. I'm only human too.

Shopping and gym trip this morning, and then some chores and a nice project this afternoon. Possibly a bit of dressmaking, although it is nice and sunny (if cold) outside. I can't wait for our trip away. We've plotted menus and listed all of the 'stuff' we think we need to take. We've never done self-catering and the 'fully equipped kitchen' is a bit vague, so we'll be loaded up with cafetieres and a decent kitchen knife etc. This is supposed to be relaxing after all!

Hugs to all who need them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure