Bulb - underquotation

Options

Comments

• chrisl-1410
    Options
    nic_c wrote: »
    So did you have a DD set up based on your original usage quote and has it changed. If the DD is the same as it was set up, then you must have misread something as it will be based on the usage they quoted. If it has increased, did you not think of querying how cheap they still would be?

the initial DD was £37 per month (annual price they quoted over 12 months). As the year has gone on and the account has been in debit each month we have increased this DD and we now pay £60 per month.

As I say, the cost to be with bulb appears to be about double the figure bulb quoted which was based on accurate usage figures we have adhered to and not exceeded

I have thought of querying the increases though have taken some time to ensure I had sufficient data hence now the post here and steps taken to discuss with Bulb, albeit with no success currently.
  • chrisw99
    Options
    What were the tariff rates on one of your first bills - have you then worked out the cost based on these rates and the usage figures to see if the estimated cost they gave you *is* an accurate cost based on your usage and initial tariff?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    @chrisl-1410

Forget about monthly DD payments as these are nothing more than payments that you make into your account. You are billed on the basis of actual usage (or estimates if you haven't provided meter readings) and the tariff prices that you have agreed to accept. The Bill (or charges) are then taken out of the balance on your account. When you decide to leave Bulb, they will raise a Final Bill based on the agreed closing reading. Any credit on your account will be re-paid at that time. If, for some reason, your account is accruing a large credit balance then ask Bulb to refund some of it or agree a lower DD payment.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    the initial DD was £37 per month (annual price they quoted over 12 months). As the year has gone on and the account has been in debit each month we have increased this DD and we now pay £60 per month.

As I say, the cost to be with bulb appears to be about double the figure bulb quoted which was based on accurate usage figures we have adhered to and not exceeded

I have thought of querying the increases though have taken some time to ensure I had sufficient data hence now the post here and steps taken to discuss with Bulb, albeit with no success currently.

It's not a fixed price tariff, and each time your DD went up you could have considered switching to another provider without exit fees. As I stated in an earlier post the quotes I got from this year and last is 50% increase, so not really small increases. Maybe you miscalculated how the increases would impact you.

I cannot see how you will get the resolution you want, it's not a fixed tariff and the price has been increased. You cannot complain that you are paying more than quoted as its a variable tariff. Each time the price increased and your DD did you could have reconsidered whether you were on the right tariff.

I cannot see what point you are trying to make. If it's because its gone up more than you anticipated, then you can switch! Maybe you are frustrated because you have suddenly realising your DD is now almost double what it was, but it was up to you to decide whether to stick or twist every time an increase came around, no one elses.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    <However, are we saying that no-one accepts the quote without doing the sums themselves? >

This seems unlikely to me.

Problem is a generation of users that check nothing and are unable to do the sums .
    The £37 pm would have been an immediate red flag to me as it is very low .

• Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    On my comparison website (for Manchester) the annual cost of the Bulb vari-fair tariff for 2,100kWh electricity and 1,500kWh gas is £487 at today's rates.

Bulb - Vari-Fair

Gas Unit Rates 3.812p per kWh
    Annual Standing Charge: 24.56p per day (£89.64 per year)
    Annual Spend: £131
    All prices include VAT at 5%

Bulb - Vari-Fair

Electricity Unit Rates 13.430p per kWh
    Annual Standing Charge: 24.56p per day (£89.64 per year)
    Annual Spend: £356
    All prices include VAT at 5%

Total Annual Spend £487

I don't know when you moved in during January but assuming it was 01 Jan to 31 August 2018 - i.e. 243 days.

So for your 1,246kWh electricity and 606kWh gas your bills should have totalled approx £310.

As you have paid £443.54 it can only be that Bulb have been using incorrect/estimated meter readings.

Have you a smart meter? or have you been sending meter readings to Bulb? - if the latter, have you checked they have been using those readings?
  • chrisw99
    Options
    Just looked at Bulbs website, using my postcode it says standing charge for gas / elec are both £89.64 a year.

Using your elec usage 2100 kWh = £282.03
    Gas 1500 kWh = £57.18

So using their current tariff and your usage should be £518.49 a year (although this may be different at your postcode).
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    This seems unlikely to me.

Problem is a generation of users that check nothing and are unable to do the sums .
    The £37 pm would have been an immediate red flag to me as it is very low .

His useage was
    We went on uswitch and gave an annual usage of 2100 kWh for electricity and 1500 kWh for gas when obtaining our quote.

So not sure £37pm would be too low
  • Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That opening DD is exceptionally low for dual fuel, but then again so are your usage figures.

Electricity is low end of average but reasonable, the gas is about 10% the national average. I'm guessing it's just cooking and some hot water, with space heating coming from another source such as wood or a miners pension?

Off the top of my head I'd estimate that with that much electric use, you could get about 10,000 kWh of gas for £60 at Bulbs pre-november hike prices. Really need at least the opening rates to check.

Something doesn't add up. I'll ask again, if you look back over the bills you've received, have they been against actual or estimated reads? Even if you've been providing them, it's possible they have been failing validation and have been replaced with estimates. Particularly if you used nearer the average amount of gas in previous years and have done something to change usage. That said I'd have expected them to point it out during your correspondence with them.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • chrisw99
    Options
    chrisw99 wrote: »
    Just looked at Bulbs website, using my postcode it says standing charge for gas / elec are both £89.64 a year.

Using your elec usage 2100 kWh = £282.03
    Gas 1500 kWh = £57.18

So using their current tariff and your usage should be £518.49 a year (although this may be different at your postcode).

Oh and £30 discount for dual fuel which takes it to £488.49 (comparable to the £487 mentioned above for Manchester).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure