PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What have you baked today?

Options

Comments

• maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,986 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    DWhite wrote: »
    I’m currently looking into recipes that are healthy but not ‘clean’ eating if that makes sense? Need to be SW friendly and often clean eating doesn’t work with that. I have made low fat/sugar versions of things in the past. But I find the flour is still an issue in terms of calories so that’s something for me to look at

When you refer to recipes with flour is this for things that you would eat several times a day/daily/a few times a week/rarely?

The reason that I ask, is that my philosophy is to make and eat the food in it's high calorie/fat state and just enjoy it occasionally, you mention SW, if you did this could you make any allowance in your eating plan for such a treat. Admit to being totally out of touch with how it all works nowadays. I am fortunate in that I can just eat one square of chocolate/piece of cake/just a couple of biscuits.

Many years ago when I needed to loose a little weight I was able to stick to the plan very well and on the weigh in night, if I had lost weight I called at the corner shop and bought myself a M*rs bar, no loss, no treat:rotfl:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Dizzy_Ditzy
    Dizzy_Ditzy Posts: 17,462 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I've made honey and raisin flapjacks for the fridge, plum crumbles for the freezer and am in the process of making individual apple pies - plums and apples from the allotment and the rest was stuff I had in anyway.

Really really fancy mince pies so I might well make some of them in a bit too :D
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Health & Beauty, Greenfingered Moneysaving and How Much Have You Saved boards. If you need any help on these boards, please do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert
  • dumpling
    dumpling Posts: 2,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My son made some lovely wholemeal cheese scones this afternoon, needless to say they are all gone now. Tomorrow I am making a plum and almond crumble bake from the Good Food website.
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've made some savoury flapjack (aka Cheesy Flapjack) for snacks throughout the week - no sugar, lots of taste & goodness! I've also made 4 jars of "Summer Fruits" jam to use up some leftover fruit from last Friday's market, plus some blackberries from the end of the garden; DD1 made scones yesterday & we finished up the strawberry jam, so this will do for the rest of the scones. And there's naan dough in the bread maker for tonight's curry.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've made some savoury flapjack (aka Cheesy Flapjack) for snacks throughout the week - no sugar, lots of taste & goodness!
    Recipe please? Am particularly interested to know what you bind it with instead of syrup?

My problem with flapjack - as with so many other sweet goodies - is that I can't just have a bit and leave the rest, I just keep going :o . Am thinking a savoury version will be easier to stretch across the course of a week.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,667 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 August 2018 at 6:53PM
    Options
    VfM it's an adaptation of a recipe I found on here some years ago. As follows:

450g rolled oats
    150g butter
    150g grated cheese - cheddar today! But whatever needs using up
    A good handful each of pumpkin, sunflower & sesame seeds
    2 eggs
    1 tsp Marmite
    1 tsp mustard

Grease a 9x14" baking tin & heat oven to 180 degrees C. Melt the butter gently in a small saucepan with the Marmite & mustard; whilst that's melting, mix the oats, seeds, cheese & eggs together in a mixing bowl. Mix the melted butter, Marmite & mustard (they tend to stay separate) pour into the oat mixture & mix well. Spread evenly in the greased tin & pat down; wet hands work well for this but a spatula does too! Bake for 25-30 mins at 180 degrees C, until golden brown. Cut into bars as it cools & keep in an airtight-ish tin; it'll keep for up to a week. If it gets the chance....

ETA: I haven't been able to find the original recipe for a long time, so sadly can't credit the OP. But I have adapted it out of all recognition, anyway, I think!
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    VfM it's an adaptation of a recipe I found on here some years ago. As follows:

450g rolled oats
    150g butter
    150g grated cheese - cheddar today! But whatever needs using up
    A good handful each of pumpkin, sunflower & sesame seeds
    2 eggs
    1 tsp Marmite
    1 tsp mustard

Grease a 9x14" baking tin & heat oven to 180 degrees C. Melt the butter gently in a small saucepan with the Marmite & mustard; whilst that's melting, mix the oats, seeds, cheese & eggs together in a mixing bowl. Mix the melted butter, Marmite & mustard (they tend to stay separate) pour into the oat mixture & mix well. Spread evenly in the greased tin & pat down; wet hands work well for this but a spatula does too! Bake for 25-30 mins at 180 degrees C, until golden brown. Cut into bars as it cools & keep in an airtight-ish tin; it'll keep for up to a week. If it gets the chance....

ETA: I haven't been able to find the original recipe for a long time, so sadly can't credit the OP. But I have adapted it out of all recognition, anyway, I think!
    Thanks. I guessed big seeds and egg would feature - not keen on egg though so I wonder if chia seeds might do a similar job to bind the mixture together. There's only one way to find out...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • f0xh0les
    f0xh0les Posts: 6,878 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Today I went to the community orchard and picked a big bag of apples.

So Apple and Cherry Crumble was baked.
    4/10/22One Year Mortgage Free Yay!
    NSTurtle # 55 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢🐢🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.[/b]
    ******PROUD MEMBER OF THE TOFU EATING COALITION OF CHAOS !!!******
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Friday - mincemeat cake
    Sunday - Eve's pudding adapted (rhubarb from the garden instead of apple).
    Monday - Moussaka - homemade.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • DWhite
    DWhite Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Some amazing ideas here!
    Savoury flapjack sounds very interesting, I’ll have to give that a go.
    Lots of autumny flavours popping up, I wasn’t quite ready for autumn yet, despite it being my favourite season, but I’ll embrace it for the food ;-p
    Someone asked me about SW and my calories etc. I can make it part of my plan. My problem at the moment is that I’m not being all that great on plan and need to take the temptation away from myself :(
    I do still bake, I just do it for the enjoyment and seeing other people enjoy it.
    Crumble may have to happen soon!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure