Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,826 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 22 March 2018 at 1:21PM
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing your stories.

Deep breath and here goes mine.....

I was a chubby teenager, and I've just kept on getting fatter ... and fatter.... and fatter.

Going to university I developed a social life which mainly centred itself around drinking, and this continued when I started work - there were always a few people who'd go over the pub after work, and some of us ended staying for most of the evening. Then it would be a case of either going for a sit down curry or grabbing a takeaway on the way home.

Needless to say, all that beer and fast food meant I was piling the pounds on - and the fact that my work was quite stressful, often with long hours and at times through the night, but largely sedentary didn't help. Although I had to look reasonably smart for work, I've never been interested in fashion so I didn't really take much notice of the fact that I was getting bigger and bigger.

Roll on to my forties, where I moved job and location. This con-incided with me cutting back almost completely on the drink - so far so good, but then I decided to give up smoking as well and re-discovered my tastebuds! A long daily commute to work all too often meant ready meals or takeaways and the pounds kept piling on - not that I really noticed, as I never weighed myself and only bought new clothes when absolutely necessary.

Eighteen months ago, at the age of 56, I was effectively made redundant, and at my age and weight I just couldn't face looking for another job in my area, which is pretty much a young persons field.

Gradually I realised how restrictive my weight was becoming, as a short walk left me out of breath and with aching knees. Luckily, having now been saving all the money I used to spend on cigarettes and alcohol, I was financially in a position where I could retire.

Finally last October I had my lightbulb moment, that I needed to do something and fast if I was to enjoy my retirement in good health.

I'd heard that a friend of a friend had lost seven stone on Slimming World, but I know I'd struggle to get to a group regularly, so I just bought the books from e-bay, read them and started on changing my eating habits. I'm ashamed to say when I got on the scales (for the first time in many years) I weighed 23 stones.

And then I found you lot - my virtual group! Since then I've lost 3 stone 8lb. Getting under 20 stones was a real buzz - I've no idea when I was last that. I'm enjoying cooking healthy meals (as is my OH) and only have the occasional craving for buttered toast, a sausage roll or a takeaway korma with onion bhajis. My personal target is to halve my weight and my dress size - from 23 stone to 11.5 stone and size 28 to 14.

When (not IF) I manage to get there, my BMI will still have me as 'overweight', as I'm only short, so I'll probably need to go a bit further.... but that's a later journey, and I hope that this group will be with me along the way as you're all a great help and inspiration to me. Thank you all.
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Really nice to read all the stories. We're all in the same boat at the end of the day. @p00hsticks (great name :D ) that's awesome. I love that having a virtual group gives you the same benefits and motivation as going to one in person. Group motivation is important. I'm completely new to this thread, but I can see how many of the principals of group are found here.

I think if I hit target, I will continue to attend every week. I know that on paper, I won't need to, but I think I'll want to

Also you shouldn't be ashamed about what you weighed. Weight doesn't make you a bad person, you definitely shouldn't feel bad about it.

My first weigh in, showed that I was 18st 7.5lbs, but I know for a fact that before I joined SW. I was heavier. I weighed 19st 8lbs at my heaviest. I actually tracked it using MyFitnessPal so I have a log of it, including the date that weight was recorded. I had somewhat successfully lost a small amount of weight (a stone ish) using the 5:2 diet before joining SW. I couldn't maintain 5:2. SW is maintainable and that is what makes it perfect, for pretty much anyone.
  • esmy
    esmy Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Today's menu:
    B Frylight fried egg on toast, apple
    L JP with tuna, mixed with onion pepper and cucumber, LTL mayo, large salad, vanilla yoghurt (free) with banana - like banana and custard!
    D Just me tonight so will have Aldi's Slimwell Chicken saag with rice and extra spinach, yoghurt mint dressing

Interesting article about impact of prolonged stress (raised cortisol) on obesity:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-stress-cortisol-obesity/more-evidence-linking-stress-to-obesity-idUSKBN17130P
    and there are lots of others if you Google it. It seems a familiar theme in many of the stories here.

Bubbs good luck with weigh in today!
  • Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    KathrynHA can I join as of Monday with a 10lb target please? Sorry I'm late to the party but I've been on plan since Monday, I promise!

Hello all. Now Top Baby is 8 weeks (and a day!) old, I've bitten the bullet, stopped refilling the biscuit tin and I'm back in the game!

Being on maternity leave is hard going for healthy eating as I am definitely a boredom eater and she still sleeps a lot in the day... I'm back at job 2 on an ad hoc basis so hoping for a much needed coffer boost as well as something to stop my fingers dipping in the crisps.

I've banked 28 syns so far Mon-Wed and am having a delicious bottle of wine and a galaxy ripple tomorrow night :)

Today's menu was as follows:

B - Bacon egg and mushroom sandwich and an apple. Cup of tea.

D - Snacked on celery sticks, ham, cottage cheese and had a pear.

T - OH is making stir fry. Free apart from the Asda rice noodles which are 2 syns per bag so I'm counting them as one.

HEXA - Milk in tea
    HEXB - Bread
    Syns - 1 for stir fry, 4 for a hot chocolate (2) and 4 Mikado sticks (0.5 each) later.
  • Top_Girl
    Top_Girl Posts: 1,211 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Been reading the stories and here's mine:

I was always a chunky child and had a father who told me as much. My mother was bi polar and everything was a bit out of control for a long time and I comfort ate and, when she was in hospital, I 'cooked' for myself, my brother and my dad. A lot of convenience and frozen food, given that I was only at the end of primary school myself.

My dad left and my brother and I were taken into care at 12 and 11(I'm older). Various foster homes later, I had continued my comfort eating, up to getting to sixth form, whereupon I began an even unhealthier relationship with food. Whilst I wasn't ever fully anorexic and bulimic, I flirted with both a lot, ending up a size 8, which looked dreadful on me as I have a big build. I then developed an unhealthy relationship with alcohol, which, as 'luck' would have it, disguised the food issues as that kept the weight on.

It wasn't until I fell pregnant at 22 that I stopped drinking and started eating properly. I weighed less when I gave birth to Top Boy than I did when I fell pregnant. However, the convenience foods and booze crept back in, the booze to a much lesser extent, but I was drinking fruit ciders and lagers most weekends (and eating, and not throwing up) which led my weight to creep up again and the unhappy relationship exacerbated both that and the comfort eating. When I broke up with Top Boy's dad, I reined in the junk and booze again and the weight fell back off, but then the pressures of family bereavements, single motherhood, university, work and life in general meant I yoyo-ed for a few years.

When Top Bloke moved down, I reached my highest ever weight and give or take a few pounds, stayed there. Weekly takeaways when he was on late shifts and weekends without work or Top Boy often meant another takeaway and sharing a few beers, then a few more, then a fatty fry up the morning after. Top Bloke is forever telling me that I'm beautiful (and making me believe it) and somehow my weight felt less of an issue.

I then fell pregnant with Top Baby and lost weight again due to enforced abstinence and increased fruit and vegetables :D and now I'm going to try and lose the rest and keep it off!
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the stories all of you. Inspiring!:T I think one of the things I enjoyed about SW was meeting loads of people that, while we had one obvious thing in common, I might never have met otherwise in my usual circle of friends and colleagues. This virtual group is just the same. All ages, all backgrounds and also from all parts of the country.:T:A

Well done on your 6.5 shiny missteach.:T

Great to have you back posting topgirl.:T

I hope they don't do a bag search before letting you in the ground MrsR.:eek:

Glad you had a good birthday greentiger. It's good that you're making the most of it. :T

I succumbed to a piece of cake last night. A friend bought some to our dance class and it really would have been rude to say no as it was HM and she'd cooked it specially. Today is my official start to a new week of 105 syns. I'll do my best to keep within it but it might be difficult with eating out and guestimating. I think the best I can hope for until after Easter is being good when I can. I've got a wedding to go to on the May Day weekend so I really would like a new dress and I want to be well in target for that.

Today's plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, scrambled eggs, HEB toast, HEA milk for drinks
    L: JP with ham, cottage cheese, beetroot, tomato
    D: not sure yet, maybe a pub meal.
    Syns:tbc
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Lioness_Twinkletoes Posts: 1,573 Forumite
    edited 22 March 2018 at 7:06PM
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I had somewhat successfully lost a small amount of weight (a stone ish) using the 5:2 diet before joining SW. I couldn't maintain 5:2. SW is maintainable and that is what makes it perfect, for pretty much anyone.

I tried 5:2 and found that I was obsessed with food -all the time. It was miserable. When I was fasting I fantasised about food I could eat when I wasn't. When I wasn't fasting, I dreaded the next fasting day.

Poohsticks and TopGirl- thank you for sharing :)
  • bubbs
    bubbs Posts: 66,923 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What awe inspiring stories , we will do it :D
    You are all amazing, well done everyone:j:j:T:T:T
    Well i did it, Yes i ahve LOST 5 STONE 1/2LB :j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j lost 1 1/2lb this week :D:D:D

100_8419_1.jpg
    Sealed pot challenge number 003 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500:T:T £770 for 2018 £1295 for 2019:j:j spc number 22 £1,457Stopped Smoking 22/01/15:D:D::dance::dance:- 5 st 1 1/2lb :dance::dance:
  • BarleySugar
    BarleySugar Posts: 443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Well done Bubbs. :j:j

Amazing achievement. :T:T
  • dustydigger
    dustydigger Posts: 1,508 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 22 March 2018 at 8:19PM
    Options
    Put on 1 lb again.
    Thats two weeks running,gone back up to a higher stone level,and leaves me 3 lb away from my 4 stone award:mad::mad:
    Annoying when I was only 1/2lb away 8 weeks ago but family crises and health issues have seen me really struggle,bobbing back and forth over the same 3 lbs. :(Maddening!
    Most embarrassing since my son is paying for this countdown,and I only lost a princely 1 lb since I started it!:eek:
    Only one week left,dont know if I dare ask him to pay for another one:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport