Fixed bonds.

Options
Looking around the web interest rates appear to be around 2% and declining.

I have though noticed Fixed bonds where it appears they guarantee you a rate of 4% and upwards.

Is there a catch?

Those I have looked at are FSCS regulated, what am I missing?

Thank you Mike.

Comments

• cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,055 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Mike_Smyth wrote: »
    Looking around the web interest rates appear to be around 2% and declining.

I have though noticed Fixed bonds where it appears they guarantee you a rate of 4% and upwards.

Is there a catch?

Thank you Mike.
    Actual, appropriate FSCS regulation.

FSCS regulation is not black and white, it covers many, many aspects of financial conduct. What you might (will) find if you dig deeper is that the organisation will be regulated for one aspect but it will not safeguard you as a private investor.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bond is a term that covers a range of different investment types.

Some fixed-term deposits refer themselves as bonds but so do some risk-based investments. Including unregulated investments.

Some of those unregulated investments claim they have FSCS protection when they do not. Or they word it to be as vague as possible.

Maybe tell us what the high rate ones are.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,196 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    cloud_dog wrote: »
    Actual, appropriate FSCS regulation.

FSCS regulation is not black and white, it covers many, many aspects of financial conduct. What you might (will) find if you dig deeper is that the organisation will be regulated for one aspect but it will not safeguard you as a private investor.
    To be a tad pedantic, nothing is regulated by FSCS - the regulator is the FCA, while FSCS is a compensation scheme offering protection under certain circumstances.

However, the above point remains, and FCA regulation applies by product range rather than by company. FSCS protection is likewise different between that offered for genuine deposits (e.g. in capital-protected savings accounts) versus the lesser protection for investments, and many carefully-worded sites attempt to blur that distinction.

OP, probably best to name the company concerned, just to allow confirmation of suspicions....
  • Mike_Smyth
    Mike_Smyth Posts: 10 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2019 at 10:09PM
    Options
    Thank you for reply

International bonds: Tesco, 5% 21nov2020, GBP
    Company name: Quilter cheviot
    Issue information
    Borrower Tesco
    Bond type Coupon bonds
    Placement method Open subscription
    Par amount, integral multiple 100 GBP
    Nominal of international bonds 100 GBP
    Minimum settlement amount 100 GBP
    Outstanding principal amount 100 GBP
    Amount 200,000,000 GBP
    Outstanding face value amount 200,000,000 GBP
    Placement date **/**/****
    Maturity date **/**/****
    Floating rate No
    Coupon Rate *%
    Current coupon rate 5%
    Day count fraction ***
    ACI *** (10/21/2019)
    Coupon frequency 2 time(s) per year
    Interest accrual date **/**/****
    Listing

That was one of them, 5% with Tesco!

I cannot put up URL the forum does not allow newbies too!
  • Mike_Smyth
    Options
    Thank you all for replies, most informative!
  • Davy_Jones_II
    Options
    What’s the Tesco bond yielding?
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Running yield 4.879%. Mkt price £103.10p per £100 nominal.

With only 13 months to run. Suspect that the market may well be very thin with little stock available.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you for reply

International bonds: Tesco, 5% 21nov2020, GBP
    Company name: Quilter cheviot
    Issue information
    Borrower Tesco
    Bond type Coupon bonds
    Placement method Open subscription
    Par amount, integral multiple 100 GBP
    Nominal of international bonds 100 GBP
    Minimum settlement amount 100 GBP
    Outstanding principal amount 100 GBP
    Amount 200,000,000 GBP
    Outstanding face value amount 200,000,000 GBP
    Placement date **/**/****
    Maturity date **/**/****
    Floating rate No
    Coupon Rate *%
    Current coupon rate 5%
    Day count fraction ***
    ACI *** (10/21/2019)
    Coupon frequency 2 time(s) per year
    Interest accrual date **/**/****
    Listing

That was one of them, 5% with Tesco!

I cannot put up URL the forum does not allow newbies too!

That has no FSCS protection. It is not a retail financial product. It is a corporate bond and has 100% loss potential.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Running yield 4.879%. Mkt price £103.10p per £100 nominal.

With only 13 months to run. Suspect that the market may well be very thin with little stock available.

So, I dont do bonds but, putting it roughly, does that mean you buy it for £103, get 4.9% but when it redeems in a years time you'll get back £100, hence nominally you are really only getting 1.9% and at risk of Tesco not paying it back at all? Perhaps quite a low risk but OTOH look what happened to Tesco a few years ago.
    And, 1.9% is what you could get on a 2 year fixed account with FSCS protection.
    So, if my understanding is correct, turns out its not a free lunch after all.
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    So, I dont do bonds but, putting it roughly, does that mean you buy it for £103, get 4.9% but when it redeems in a years time you'll get back £100, hence nominally you are really only getting 1.9% and at risk of Tesco not paying it back at all? Perhaps quite a low risk but OTOH look what happened to Tesco a few years ago.
    Yes, that's basically correct, although I think that particular bond expiring on that date is the one from Tesco Personal Finance which actually has a price of 102.3 and so gross yield to maturity is 2.8%. As an aside 'what happened to Tesco a few years ago' was not an event in which they couldn't repay their short term debt obligations... but I take the point.
    And, 1.9% is what you could get on a 2 year fixed account with FSCS protection.
    So, if my understanding is correct, turns out its not a free lunch after all.
    If you were an institutional investor trying to deploy hundreds of millions, you wouldn't find an £85k FSCS protected bank account to be much use. All these institutions compete with each other to put money into the opportunities available, making the market, but not necessarily getting a very high return for the risk taken - because if people thought the return was too high for the risk, the prices would go up and yields down.

For an average retail banking customer to look at using those risk opportunities instead of something with a compensation scheme, they should be getting a rate comfortably higher than what the banks offer. But you have to understand what you are getting because with such bonds, the effective yield you get can be a lot lower than the 'headline' 5%, and FSCS does not protect against the kind of risks you're taking. If someone says it is FSCS protected just because you bought it from a stockbroker, it is likely to be a scam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure