What to do when student loans dont cover rent?

Options
I am going to be getting the minimum loan which is just over £4000 but with rent being £100 a week that £5200 a year so theres a massive short fall. And yes i know i could just get a job and ive applied everywhere. I do have a disability where I cant lift above my head or stand for too long but its not bad enough for PIP and finding a job that I can do with no experience seems unlikely right now. I guess I just need to rant a bit as it feels like im stuck for not being born into the right family or something.

Comments

• Cash-Cows
    Options
    It's generally expected that the shortfall is made up by parents. I take it you don't get a full grant because household income is high (relatively).

Also look at disabled student allowance. You might qualify. The uni you're going to can advise on finances so worth seeking that out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Find somewhere cheaper to rent,
    get a job you can do such as a desk job,
    ask your parents for help,
    and as suggested check out the disabled students allowance.
  • WhydeWhy
    Options
    I dont get full lot because im under 25 and i dont know my parents income. So unless i can provide that i get the bare minimum.
  • WhydeWhy
    Options
    i cant find anywhere cheaper. i get a good deal as is as that is most bills included. i have been looking for a desk job but no luck and i cant ask parents for help as I don't know how. and theres nothin I can apply for dsa wise as theres nothing I need.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    WhydeWhy wrote: »
    I am going to be getting the minimum loan which is just over £4000 but with rent being £100 a week that £5200 a year so theres a massive short fall. And yes i know i could just get a job and ive applied everywhere. I do have a disability where I cant lift above my head or stand for too long but its not bad enough for PIP and finding a job that I can do with no experience seems unlikely right now. I guess I just need to rant a bit as it feels like im stuck for not being born into the right family or something.

You won't be in student accomodation for 52 weeks ? Where will you live when you're not at Uni ? Where do you live now ?
  • WhydeWhy
    Options
    Of course im going to be renting for the full year. where else am i meant to live? I still need housing over the summer.
  • WhydeWhy
    Options
    the degrees in maths in south of england. my dream job is to work with maths and honestly im getting nowhere if i dont do this as the usual routes for work experience and references are closed off to me. this way I get a degree and references and I can fight off the feeling that im worthless for a while longer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    WhydeWhy wrote: »
    Of course im going to be renting for the full year. where else am i meant to live? I still need housing over the summer.

Most students return home to their family over the summer. If you have no family because you are estranged or a care leaver you should be getting the maximum amount. Even extra grants if a care leaver.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Best/easiest way to earn money is to do work as a maths tutor.

Where I live an A level student was advertising (and getting enquiries) for O level maths at £20/hour!!
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,967 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you giving the full story here? Student loans are assessed on family income (unless you are married, over 25 or estranged). Even you are not getting the full loan that suggests that the family income is too high for you to qualify, it therefore follows that your parents could (and the government assumes "should" rather than "could") support you by topping up your loan to the non means tested amount. Parents generally welcome their student offspring back into the family home during university holidays.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure