No longer in use

Options

Comments

• MeandO
    MeandO Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's £1200 in the emergency savings now, split between the ISA and the help to save account, with 4 months worth of savings in the H2S account now. I'll be leaving it in there for the full four years to benefit from the 'bonus' payment of £1200 which, with the savings accrued, will hopefully be my new kitchen fund unless something else falls down/off/in/ and I have to fix that first.

I've just spent 20 minutes trying to make a payment to the credit card and have just finally paid off another £100 but had to do it over an automated phone line (for which I've probably paid for the call :mad:) instead of the normal simple online payment since Sainsbo's changed their rules. I even tried to set them up as regular payment on my bank account but that kept crashing too. :mad: There'll be around £650 left on it once I have received the refund - I'm debating whether to just pay it off with the savings, shut the account down completely and work on rebuilding the savings afterwards...

I need to get some shopping tonight, but will go to Aldi or Lidl and will be sticking to the list. I will have DS with me, so there'll be no dawdling as he is not a shopper (neither am I tbh).

OH came over last night and brought me a big box of 15 eggs that he'd picked up in the YS section for 79p. :) I've bought six to work and will have them scrambled with some of the YS bagels for lunches this week - we have a microwave at work that we clubbed together to buy. That's a lovely filling lunch for around 20p a day! :T;)

I see another survey has just dropped into my inbox so I'll do that a bit later too.

I have a company coming out tomorrow to look at some issues with the house. I have everything crossed that it's nothing serious, but I'm sure it'll cost money no matter what. Maybe I need to hold on to the savings for now. :(
    Mortgage @ 03/2019: £125K, Now: £66,970
    Mortgage OP's 2024: £738.03 Total OP’s: £8948.59
    SAVINGS: EF: £6923.98/£15,000 XMAS: £607.21 CAR/HOUSE: £550
  • MeandO
    Options
    Just checked DS's dinner money and there's plenty left in the online payment account left to cover school meals up to the summer holidays and even a week or two into the autumn term.

I'd allocated a top up of £20 this month, but have just transferred that to the 'holidays' pot instead, in readiness for a camping trip or something over the hols. There's only £70 in there at the moment, but it will cover a few nights camping at least. :)
  • MeandO
    Options
    The grocery shopping cost £41.09 last night - more than I'd planned to spend, but there was a freezer section with lots of items reduced to £1 and 50p, so I have stocked the freezer up. :)There may also have been custard slices reduced :o

The two items for refund have been sent back, OH kindly dropped them off for me last night, so I should have a refund within the week.
    I'm also returning the mattress I bought recently as I'm not happy with it, so that will be £350 in total back to the credit card. :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Happy new diary, will be cheering you on! :)
  • MeandO
    edited 3 July 2018 at 10:29AM
    Options
    Thank you Moguline. :)

I haven't posted for a while - it's been a bit of a rollercoaster week and I spoke too soon about something falling off/down/needing fixing. :(:(:(

I found out the house is going to require some structural work - am still awaiting quotes - not covered on the insurance. :( I'll worry about it when I know what I'm dealing with.

The car then died on me at a really dangerous junction and I consider myself lucky to still be here! :eek: Someone was looking down on me, because a breakdown truck pulled up behind me within a couple of minutes and helped me to safety, despite not being a member of said breakdown company.
    The car was eventually fixed for free by the dealer, even though they claim it's definitely not because of a known fault, oh no, but purely from the goodness of their hearts... ;)

I've also had yet more worrying news about the health of my parents. :(

That aside, I've been feeling really fortunate and grateful for my lot this past week. I've generally seen more people and made some new friends; received lovely flowers from a neighbour; had lots of fun with DS and lovely times with OH despite him going through quite a stressful weekend :(; chatted with friends at a BBQ, had lots of laughs and felt quite loved by very few, but very treasured people in my life.

There is not a lot of money in the bank as I have spent money buying a couple of 'liquid gifts ;)' to take to gatherings, but feel it's only fair when I have been well fed and hosted. :) DS and I also had lunch out yesterday for a rare treat around a medical appointment, spending £13.

I've also filled up with petrol yesterday which came in just under £50. :eek: That should last me until past next payday though.

The regular overpayment of £51.03 (rounded the mortgage up to £400) has come out of the account, so there's still just under £100 to find to meet my overpayment target which I'm hoping will be achievable towards the end of the month.

The mattress and pillows have been returned, so I am awaiting refunds from those within the next few days. The credit card should look a lot better then. :o

I bought a few photo frames in the sainsbury's sale yesterday to cover the blank wall ) with large, difficult-to-remove hanging nails already on from an old mirror) in my dining room. I eventually plan on buying a few different ones from elsewhere when I see some at a good price and framing a few bits of artwork/drawings and photos to make a little gallery wall. The four I bought yesterday are up on their own but laready look lovely, I'm really pleased with them. :) I shall transfer the £15 from the house projects fund to the main account today to cover the cost of those.

Have a good Tuesday all

x
  • MeandO
    Options
    Another £2 Amazon voucher received from surveys. :)
    £1.20 spent in the vending machine at work as am sooo hungry today... need to plan and buy more bits for healthy lunches and snacks at work. :(
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2018 at 3:45PM
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having such a tough time. It can definitely help keeping a tight reign in finances in these times, as at least it gives you the feeling that there's something in your life you actually have control of.
    Hope you hit a streak of good luck soon, and house repairs don't turn out to be too costly!
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,755 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    It sounds difficult for you right now but you are keeping your head and ploughing on. It always makes it that more tough when you have loved ones with health issues.

You didn't need the car issue either but you are safe.

You sound well supported and that's good.

Sending you a virtual hug (())
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MeandO
    Options
    Thank you doingitanyway.
  • MeandO
    Options
    Another £2 Amazon voucher claimed from surveys this morning. :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family