MSE News: More than half of UK airports STILL don't have free water fountains

Options
2»

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I don't bother taking an empty drinks bottle with me as know several people at various airports had their empty and dry bottles confiscated. They were just empty bottles that had some drink in them when purchased - in 500ml to 700ml bottles.

I get a sandwich meal deal at Boots or Superdrug (East Midlands doesn't have Boots) and get my water this way.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't bother taking an empty drinks bottle with me as know several people at various airports had their empty and dry bottles confiscated. They were just empty bottles that had some drink in them when purchased - in 500ml to 700ml bottles.
    I've never had this problem (taken about 30 flights in the last few years from various UK and overseas airports).

I find it helps to keep it out of display. The only two times I've been told it's not allowed is by the people who tell you which queue to join and hand out those little plastic bags (i.e. not the actual security screeners). I just ignore them and put it through the scanner. The staff actually doing the screening know the rules and always allow it through.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    edited 15 July 2018 at 8:18AM
    Options

I get a sandwich meal deal at Boots or Superdrug (East Midlands doesn't have Boots) and get my water this way.

I have taken empty bottles through dozens of times in many different airports and never had one confiscated. I always have it in my hand and show them.

I also think it is good MSE are trying to get airports to install.

For those that say its a non story etc...this is a money saving site, and guess what,its trying to save us money
  • System
    Options
    What about the foreign airports? I doubt they have as many. That is another reason why I don't bother bringing an empty bottle through when going home.

I remember at Rome airport in 2016. For !!!8364;4, I got a (surprisingly large) coffee, bottle of water and a danish pastry. Buying the three individually would have cost !!!8364;8
  • glider3560
    Options
    What about the foreign airports? I doubt they have as many. That is another reason why I don't bother bringing an empty bottle through when going home.
    I've found water fountains or taps available at the following:
    • Copenhagen
    • Athens
    • Los Angeles
    • Bratislava
    • Tallinn
    • Gothenburg City (no longer open to commercial flights)
    • Palma de Mallorca
    • Malta
    There are some places that don't have them, like Nice, where the cheapest bottle of water appeared to be €2.50!

I always take an empty bottle through, just in case there is a fountain. And also because I want to re-use the bottle when I get home.
  • photome
    edited 15 July 2018 at 10:30AM
    Options

I remember at Rome airport in 2016. For !!!8364;4, I got a (surprisingly large) coffee, bottle of water and a danish pastry. Buying the three individually would have cost !!!8364;8

I find that foreign airports often have more water fountains than U.K. airports

Its hardly a bother to take an empty bottle through and like glider says its also reusable when you get home

Ps I would never spend 8364 on snacks and a drink
  • photome
    Options
    glider3560 wrote: »
    I've found water fountains or taps available at the following:
    • Copenhagen
    • Athens
    • Los Angeles
    • Bratislava
    • Tallinn
    • Gothenburg City (no longer open to commercial flights)
    • Palma de Mallorca
    • Malta
    There are some places that don't have them, like Nice, where the cheapest bottle of water appeared to be €2.50!

I always take an empty bottle through, just in case there is a fountain. And also because I want to re-use the bottle when I get home.

I also reuse the bottles, many times
  • System
    Options
    I!!!8217;m flying to Riga and flying back from there in Sept.

Got this from the airport website
    Riga International Airport and the companies operating in it have joined the initiative of Airports Council International Europe (ACI Europe) and provide an opportunity to buy a bottle of water (0.5 l) for a trip for 1 euro beyond the passenger security checkpoint since 2016.

There are 2 places immediately behind security control which are marked with special sign where passengers can buy water for 1 EUR[\quote]

I have never heard of ACI Europe. !!!8364;1 is the price for water in tourist attractions.
  • glider3560
    Options
    I!!!8217;m flying to Riga and flying back from there in Sept.

Got this from the airport website
    Riga International Airport and the companies operating in it have joined the initiative of Airports Council International Europe (ACI Europe) and provide an opportunity to buy a bottle of water (0.5 l) for a trip for 1 euro beyond the passenger security checkpoint since 2016.

There are 2 places immediately behind security control which are marked with special sign where passengers can buy water for 1 EUR[\quote]

I have never heard of ACI Europe. !!!8364;1 is the price for water in tourist attractions.
    Interesting. I noticed in Greece that the government actually regulate the price of water (and various other things) at "captive environments", including airports. 500ml water has to be €0.35. Unsurprisingly the only water on display at the airport in Athens is 600ml at around €2! You actually have to ask for the 500ml bottles (which they reluctantly sell you) although unlikely to be refrigerated.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure