MSE News: More than half of UK airports STILL don't have free water fountains

Four UK airports are in the process of installing free drinking water fountains in their departure lounges following a MoneySavingExpert campaign, and a further two are considering it...
Read the full story:
'More than half of UK airports STILL don't have free water fountains'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• PasturesNewPasturesNew Forumite
    70.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it important?

I've never been to an airport, so have no idea why this would be so "important" when so many other things are really important.
  • stevenhp1987stevenhp1987 Forumite
    907 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it important?

I've never been to an airport, so have no idea why this would be so "important" when so many other things are really important.

It's not important.

In airports without a water fountain you can just ask at the bar to fill up a water bottle or for a glass.

Its non-news that is making a big deal out of nothing. It's the kind of journalism you expect from a tabloid.
  • z1az1a Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who cares?
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I always use the fountain at Gatwick (I fly often so £2 for a bottle of water adds up). Never seen anyone else use it. Ever. It's in such a stupid place that no-one will notice it unless they know it's there.

Stansted went even further and removed all of theirs (except on one pier).

The more important one, IMO, is major railway stations. There's nothing more frustrating than being delayed and running out of water on a hot day.
  • matelodavematelodave Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    And????

Surely MSE has better things to do than nit pick over trivia
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • PollycatPollycat Forumite
    32.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Savvy Shopper!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I guess MSE's call to the 18 UK international airports in this thread fell on deaf ears....

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5685393&highlight=fountain
    MoneySavingExpert.com is calling on 18 UK international airports to offer free drinking water fountains to passengers in their departure lounges...
  • eDickyeDicky Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Why is it important?
    It's not important.
    z1a wrote: »
    Who cares?
    Free and easily accessible drinking water facilities are provided as a common courtesy in the airports of virtually all, including third world, countries. The British are fairly unique in allowing themselves to be fleeced, and to bear the shame of fleecing departing visitors, in this lack of common decency for shameless commercial gain.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • f4phixerukf4phixeruk Forumite
    80 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    Edinburgh has free fountains. Used it in May. Just after security. Filled an empty bottle I'd brought through just for this purpose.
  • LrimasLrimas Forumite
    196 Posts
    It's important.

You are not allowed to take water through security so you are left with the option of buying water (which is expensive and comes in a single use plastic container), filling it up in the bathroom (which can be unsanitary and sometimes leaves you drinking warm water) or asking at a bar (an option that I won't do as I will feel the need to buy something as well)
  • parcivalparcival Forumite
    949 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    It is important and this is a money saving website. Why should people (UK residents and Visitors) be ripped off with blatant profiteering.

Bristol airport has a fountain and many people seem to use it.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Stoozing, sublets & summer sips

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE News

Martin Lewis quizzes Rishi Sunak

Watch the cost of living support Q&A here

Join the MSE Forum discussion

48 craft beers for £50 delivered

One-off bundle for newbies. Excludes Northern Ireland

MSE Deals