Liable for USA tax

I have found out that because I was born in the USA I have to file tax returns there and may have to pay taxes on my UK income even if that is zero rated here. I am amazed that I can't find anything about this issue on the main site although it has been in the news recently (Boris Johnson had to pay US taxes on the sale of a property as he also is an "accidental American").
It is beyond complicated.
Any shared experience out there?

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,235 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The information you've found out is correct, ISAs are not recognised as tax free savings vehicles in the USA, unlike pensions.
  • SonOf
    SonOf Posts: 2,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I am amazed that I can't find anything about this issue on the main site

This site publishes articles that cover the mainstream. Back when Martin used to own it, he said that he could only cover the major areas and could not delve into the smaller quirks or issues in his guides. I would estimate that most articles on this site are accurate to around ~75%

It is estimated just 173,470 US born residents are in the UK (2011 Census). Many of which are at US military bases. So, it makes up under 1% of the population. So, its no wonder its not in the MSE article. MSE is not the place to get accurate financial/tax information.

For as long as you remain a US citizen, you will be subject to a US tax return and the potential of US taxes.
  • mrswoo57 wrote: »
    I have found out that because I was born in the USA I have to file tax returns there and may have to pay taxes on my UK income even if that is zero rated here. I am amazed that I can't find anything about this issue on the main site although it has been in the news recently (Boris Johnson had to pay US taxes on the sale of a property as he also is an "accidental American").
    It is beyond complicated.
    Any shared experience out there?

You will need to file tax returns but it’s unlikely that you will owe any tax - the first $100k or so of foreign earned income is disregarded, if I recall correctly. You will also need to file a FBAR http://https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/report-of-foreign-bank-and-financial-accounts-fbar if you had the equivalent of $10,000 in “ foreign financial accounts “. There are accountants who deal with US citizens abroad. They aren’t cheap.

You can renounce your citizenship but need to be up to date with your taxes for that...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure