I'm newly single.... any bill reductions?

Options
Stoke
Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
Hello,

So my fiancee decided to have a change of heart the other week and one thing has gone to another and we're now separated. I've already got in on the 25% discount on my council tax, but now I'm wondering, is it possible to get a single person discount on leccy and water? I live in a 3 bed semi, so I'd hope so....
water supplier is united utilities and they're a bit cagey on their website about it.
energy supplier is avro, who I cannot seem to contact anymore. My account is £98 in credit as well, so I might need to badger them a bit.

Comments

• Raxiel
    Raxiel Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well, you might use less if you're on your own, which will lower your bill, especially if you can turn the thermostat down now.

Other than that, no. You pay for what you use at the agreed price per unit + daily charge, that's it.
    3.6 kW PV in the Midlands - 9x Sharp 400W black panels - 6x facing SE and 3x facing SW, Solaredge Optimisers and Inverter. 400W Derril Water (one day). Octopus Flux
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are no discounts of that nature, it's only for council tax.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You need to be on a water meter for you water bill to fall then it could go down by almost half but that depends on how much each of you used for baths and the like.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 9 November 2017 at 9:24AM
    Options
    Unless your water rates are very low a water meter is an option but its unlikely to drop by half as the standing charges can be a large proportion of the bill.

You can also revert to rateable value charges within two years if she realises that you are the best she can hope for.
  • cranford
    cranford Posts: 797 Forumite
    Options
    I am a average metered water 2 person household in the South east and my bills are £400 year of which £60 is standing charges. But I see that standing charges can vary from £40 to £150 a year depending on where you live. But it would be worth you checking your current water charges against a one person watered meter supply.
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Options
    Your energy and water suppliers have no idea how many people live in the property. You pay for what you use, regardless of numbers (assuming your water is metered-if not, it is based on the RV of the property).
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • NittyGritty
    Options
    there "could be" some savings made on water,(on Anglian water at least), now weather they will apply to you is another story

they are called

watersure and aquacare plus

again you would need to fit the criteria to get them tho,

worth a look to see if it applies to you
  • Stoke
    Options
    I will ask United Utilities if they'll give me a discount. Energy i'm aware is metered. Is there anything else really? Council tax has saved me quite a bit to be fair.
  • northwalesd
    northwalesd Posts: 1,168 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Stoke wrote: »
    I will ask United Utilities if they'll give me a discount. Energy i'm aware is metered. Is there anything else really? Council tax has saved me quite a bit to be fair.

You can ask, but they won't. The only way to save money on water bills is to go metered and use less water than it would cost if you weren't metered.

As the other posters have said, there really aren't any 'single person discounts' other than council tax. Even the Anglian water tariffs mentioned aren't 'single person' tariffs, but for customers suffering hardship (and you have to jump through several hoops)
  • Stoke
    Options
    Richmc wrote: »
    Sorry, but welcome to the real world, if the utility companies gave out discounts just because the other half dumped you then bills would be up for the rest of us, if you are that badly off try going to the benefits office.
    you can get discount food from a food bank.

Wooooooooooow. :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport