Tax Credit Briefing discussion

1232425262729»

Comments

• This year I've been told we've been overpaid. My husband was without work from October to April & I work 22 hours a week. I don't know whether or not this is why we've been overpaid as for a period I was the sole worker & work less than 24 hours. Does anyone know? When I completed the renewal form I put in my husband's total salary for this year (2016-17) & my income from my P60. When I contacted them to say that the income would be less for my husband as he won't have worked for a full tax year, they said it's the total income before any deductions were made. When I mentioned my income was from my P60, the adviser then said that my income should be 20% more, so it's the total salary. I've now received another letter to say we've been overpaid even more. Should it be the income from my P60 or not? The income I gave for my partner for 2015-16 was from his P45 & this is considerably less. Can anyone help?
  • This year I've been told we've been overpaid. My husband was without work from October to April & I work 22 hours a week. I don't know whether or not this is why we've been overpaid as for a period I was the sole worker & work less than 24 hours. Does anyone know? When I completed the renewal form I put in my husband's total salary for this year (2016-17) & my income from my P60. When I contacted them to say that the income would be less for my husband as he won't have worked for a full tax year, they said it's the total income before any deductions were made. When I mentioned my income was from my P60, the adviser then said that my income should be 20% more, so it's the total salary. I've now received another letter to say we've been overpaid even more. Should it be the income from my P60 or not? The income I gave for my partner for 2015-16 was from his P45 & this is considerably less. Can anyone help?
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,525
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    kim2013 wrote: »
    This year I've been told we've been overpaid. My husband was without work from October to April & I work 22 hours a week. I don't know whether or not this is why we've been overpaid as for a period I was the sole worker & work less than 24 hours. Does anyone know? When I completed the renewal form I put in my husband's total salary for this year (2016-17)& my income from my P60. When I contacted them to say that the income would be less for my husband as he won't have worked for a full tax year, they said it's the total income before any deductions were made. When I mentioned my income was from my P60, the adviser then said that my income should be 20% more, so it's the total salary. I've now received another letter to say we've been overpaid even more. Should it be the income from my P60 or not? The income I gave for my partner for 2015-16 was from his P45 & this is considerably less. Can anyone help?
    Did your partner receive JSA between October and April? did you include this amount in his income?
    Your P60 should have shown the full income pre deductions (gross) and after (net) which number did you use?
  • Hi I'm a bit useless with this stuff so this might seem like a silly question but I'm confused as how to fill in my working hours. It says to put down the hours I was working before going on maternity leave (I was full time) however when I return to work I will only be going back part time so I will be entitled to a different amount of tax credits. What do I do?! Fill in the hours before or after maternity leave or just wait until I'm back at work? Thanks.
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Tross16 wrote: »
    Hi I'm a bit useless with this stuff so this might seem like a silly question but I'm confused as how to fill in my working hours. It says to put down the hours I was working before going on maternity leave (I was full time) however when I return to work I will only be going back part time so I will be entitled to a different amount of tax credits. What do I do?! Fill in the hours before or after maternity leave or just wait until I'm back at work? Thanks.

You put the hours you are currently contracted to. When you change your hours you call them and tell them.
  • alduncan
    alduncan Posts: 43 Forumite
    I'm a bit confused. Now there is a tax-free personal allowance for savings interest, do I still need to declare the interest on all our interest (minus £300), or is that now counted tax-free (like money in an ISA which I'm told to disregard), and I don't need to declare it (up to £1000)?
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,264
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    alduncan wrote: »
    I'm a bit confused. Now there is a tax-free personal allowance for savings interest, do I still need to declare the interest on all our interest (minus £300), or is that now counted tax-free (like money in an ISA which I'm told to disregard), and I don't need to declare it (up to £1000)?
    Yes. It's taxable income even if it isn't taxed, a bit like income within your personal allowance.
  • captainbeaker
    captainbeaker Posts: 306 Forumite
    Does anyone know how long it is taking to process child tax credits at the moment? Will it be done before the end of July cut off for returns?
    We did ours online about 3 weeks ago and checked online and said it is being processed.
  • fryster2006
    fryster2006 Posts: 274 Forumite
    Feedback on using the online service to report changes: I used it to inform them that my 16 year old son was staying on in college from September, this was done as soon as we received the provisional letter, final award letter hasn't acknowledged this. Also phoned to change bank details as couldn't see a way to report it online and again this hasn't happened (we've had 2 payments into old account since informing them).
  • Darksparkle
    Darksparkle Posts: 5,465 Forumite
    Feedback on using the online service to report changes: I used it to inform them that my 16 year old son was staying on in college from September, this was done as soon as we received the provisional letter, final award letter hasn't acknowledged this. Also phoned to change bank details as couldn't see a way to report it online and again this hasn't happened (we've had 2 payments into old account since informing them).

what do you mean the final award hasn't acknowledged the change to your child's education? The final award is for last year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure