Cheap Parcel Delivery - official discussion

Options

Comments

• Obviously_the_best
    Options
    cdav wrote: »
    I want to post a blind in mainland UK. It weighs less than £3k, but is 1.2m long, but only 12cm wide & deep. Can anyone recommend a courier who calculates postage costs by volume, rather than by dimension? Thanks for your help.
    Take a look at https://www.parcelmonkey.co.uk , they would charge £7.99 + VAT with those dimensions.
  • Nandita_2
    Options
    I have heard some good reviews of UPS access point. Does anyone know if one can integrate its API with the ecommerce portal and still use parcel2go for using its service..reason being better rates through parcel2go?
  • Kayster
    Kayster Posts: 390 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Use voucher code LOVE350 for 10% of a UK parcel at ipostparcels.com until 14th Feb - and a chance to win a free 3 course meal at Hilton Hotels.
  • dessipops
    Options
    I have successfully used Hermes for the past year sending over 15 parcels per week, however since just before Xmas they have gone to the dogs, I have had one parcel stolen (they admitted by a member of their staff), one parcel disappeared after being left at the parcel shop and three breakages.

I would not normally blag a company as anyone can make mistakes, but their customer service is appalling, they don't read correspondence properly, sending automatic responses and not the questions you have asked and are only looking to dissolve themselves of responsibility. I have asked the same question three times and still no answer.

My advice, pay a bit more and send them with someone else, their insurance is worthless - check what is covered, I have and it appears that nothing is - they use words such as "composite items" any guesses?
  • ruky_uk
    Options
    Thank you so very much to everyone on here who has left afeedback!! All the negatives and thepositives included!!

I had to send a parcel to Pakistan, it was 3.5kg in weightand dimensions were 41x32x15. I had beenlooking at sending this via DHL or UPS directly.

The cheapest quote I got directly from going to the websiteswas £111 from UPS to collect from home and courier to Pakistan – estimated deliverytime was said to be 4 days. DHL werequoting more than this.

Thanks to all you guys and MSE I read the posts, went viaTransglobal Express and saved a small fortune!! It cost £38.65 via UPS for the same service. Just had to create an account with T.E whichwas fairly straight forward, make the payment, print the labels and wait forthe parcel to be picked up. I got a callabout 30 minutes after creating the account from T.E to welcome me to theservice and confirm the order details.

The parcel is due to be picked up sometime today (between8am and 5pm which can be a problem for some, but I have a friend at home todayso wasn’t an issue). I’m hopeful thingswill go smoothly without any problems (fingers crossed) so will feedback to letyou all know how it went.

Thank you everyone once again for the great help viafeedbacks!:)
    Eat, Sleep....Fart and then DIE!!!!! :T:eek:
  • ruky_uk
    Options
    To update from my previous post I have to say I am very impressed with T.E service. My parcel was picked up from home at 2.35pm on Tuesday 18th Feb and I have received notification that it has been delivered today at 12.35pm (Pakistan time). Fantastic.

The parcel was delivered before the scheduled date which originally was for Saturday 22nd – had to let the shop know delivery was scheduled ahead of time but apart from that no problems.

I had to register with T.E and could track what happened to parcel from pick up to drop off which was great. Will definitely be using this service again;however I do appreciate from all the comments I have read that mistakes do happen, so fingers crossed the service continues on this positive note!
    :money::j
    Eat, Sleep....Fart and then DIE!!!!! :T:eek:
  • tippertip
    tippertip Posts: 52 Forumite
    Options
    PeggyAnn wrote: »
    It seems that many carriers apply restrictions to parcels containing any glass. Some, such as Interlink/DPD and Collect+, don't even accept glass. Others offer cover for just loss but not damage.

We don't mind damage not being covered as we've not had our glass damaged in transit for many years. However we do expect cover for loss, if only to give the company a financial incentive to track down missing parcels.

What's worse is that many brokers are more restrictive than the carriers they use! For instance, Parcels2Go won't even accept glass although most of their carriers are happy to do so. Others such as IPostParcels and Transglobal, both of whom are competitive for our Far East shipments, don't offer compensation for either loss or damage.

Brokers I've found that will cover glass for loss but not damage include CollectMyParcel/P4D, Interparcel and Parcelbroker.

I've found just one broker who mirrors their carriers' terms and that's Courierpoint. They're also currently top of Trustpilot's customer satisfaction ratings.

Can anyone add to this list of brokers who will at least cover glass for loss?

In the meantime I hope this is helpful to others who sell glass, or for that matter similar items such as ceramics.

Hi

I can confirm collectmyparcel.com have definitely covered glass for loss in the past for us. When we claimed we were successful, no problems at all, a very simple process.

Hope that helps.
  • teedy23
    teedy23 Posts: 2,088 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think I've put the wrong weight on my parcel, and its getting picked up today eek, what can I do ?
    :T:jDabbler in all things moneysaving.Master of none:o

Well except mastered my mortgage 5 yrs early :T:j
    Street finds for 2018 £26:49.
  • PleaseDont
    PleaseDont Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I looked on MSE yesterday to see how to send a 9kg box of books I sold on eBay to another UK address. I chose interparcel.com and booked pickup for yesterday afternoon by 5:30 by TNT. Waited in all afternoon and evening. Nobody showed up.

This morning I contacted interparcel by live chat (needless to say, their phone is an 0871 number) and was told the TNT driver couldn't find my address. When I enquired why he didn't call me (since I had to provide my phone number), I was told the drivers don't have 'business phones'. interparcel doesn't contact senders for missed pickups, just waits for the sender to contact them. I asked if it could be picked up today and was told I would have to print out the paperwork again and attach a new label to the box, and would have to wait in all day until 5:30.

I asked for a refund and have rebooked it with a different carrier.
  • JamesHyman
    JamesHyman Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 14 March 2014 at 12:35AM
    Options
    Interested to know other people's opinions on the recent experience I had with Interparcel. Have used them for about 10 years and would say overall a reliable service although I estimate a delay in pick up is probably 1 in 10 orders. Usually this is OK as most of my pick ups are not urgent. A recent order to USA was urgent and it took Interparcel 5 days to pick up the order. Several e-mails were not replied to and I did not want to have to call their premium rate number. I filed a dispute with Paypal and said on the dispute that I would stop the dispute once Interparcel picked up the order. They soon picked up the order but I was unable to cancel the dispute because bizarrely Interparcel escalated the dispute to a claim!!! I was refunded the full amount by Paypal and being honest offered to give Interparcel the refund as I had originally stated in the dispute that I would stop the dispute once item was picked up, which it was, eventually. Interparcel decided to close my account as I had done this Paypal dispute before and they didn't like it then. Surely a consumer is entitled, within reason to dispute his order if he wants to cancel, or a refund etc? It's no different disputing a payment with a credit card company. Thoughts welcomed! Thanks
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback