Options

Comments

• T-G-C
    T-G-C Posts: 591 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 23 May 2018 at 9:55PM
    Options
    Katapolt wrote: »
    I was always told this was the best way to have a credit card... how confusing! i was told it builds up a credit report and helps to show that you wont have balance outstanding for long and you're in a position to keep up with payments.

There is nothing wrong with having an outstanding balance, it would be seen as more abnormal to have £0 recorded each month, if cleared before the statement date.

Of course, it has a massive influence on the outcome of an affordability assessment, therefore if your overall credit utilization is high, it could deter the lender from putting you into a position of potentially taking on too much credit.

Some areas that lenders focus on:
    • Your total credit utilization. To be on the safe side, it would be wise to keep under 25%.
    • Late Payments or Missed Payments
    • Evidence of Being Overlimit (Statement Balance Higher than Credit Limit)
    • Cash Advance or Advance Against Income (Wonga or ATM Withdrawals on Sub-Prime)
    • Minimum Payment Status (Some may see this as a positive, to make more interest out of you.)
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cash withdwawals are the exception to the rule.

And the comments about the reported balance are not incorrect......if its nil at the date the credit card company does its monthly run to the CRA then that is what will show on your report.
  • T-G-C
    First Post
    Options
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Cash withdwawals are the exception to the rule.

And the comments about the reported balance are not incorrect......if its nil at the date the credit card company does its monthly run to the CRA then that is what will show on your report.

Agreed, some people make this mistake quite often.

The statement date is crucial for different areas of managing the account. For people who take out cash on a regular basis, their statement will never be £0 because of advance interest, but purchases won't do this for them.
    Advice provided from this account does not consist of any professional knowledge. For professional debt advice, please contact either National Debtline or StepChange. Advice may consist of personal experience, opinion and/or informational sources.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Years ago I encountered financial difficulties so when I started to rebuild my credit history I'd make a purchase on my credit card, wait for it to post to my account, then clear the balance.

It wasn't until I started to use these very forums that I realised I wasn't helping myself at all; it looked like I was never using my card(s) to my lenders and, as such, never saw an increase in terms of credit limits etc.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • T-G-C
    First Post
    Options
    20aday wrote: »
    Years ago I encountered financial difficulties so when I started to rebuild my credit history I'd make a purchase on my credit card, wait for it to post to my account, then clear the balance.

It wasn't until I started to use these very forums that I realized I wasn't helping myself at all; it looked like I was never using my card(s) to my lenders and, as such, never saw an increase in terms of credit limits etc.

I suppose theoretically, the actual lender being used for your mentioned practice, could log and analyse expenditure pattern etc. to determine whether to grant a limit increase. This is irrespective of the statement, as the lender has a transparent view of your account usage.

Other lenders can only see what is reported, which would be null, so it is a different story when applying for credit elsewhere for example.

However, if you never have a statement balance and aren't making them any interest either, I can't see them bothering to increase your credit limit.

I'm not saying that lenders would never increase someone who does this, but someone who does have a statement balance, makes full use of their credit limit and overall demonstrates a decent appreciation of the credit facility would be favored.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I do a mixture. I don't like my card balance to be too high. I pay the balance off in full each month. However a large payment I will pay off as soon as I can- partly so I know that money has gone.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Craig1981
    Craig1981 Posts: 769 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Ever Since my IVA started 7 years ago, i have done the same thing. started with high rate APR cards to rebuild. When IVA finished and 6 years passed, was accepted for "normal cards" - only got ones with bonuses to get rewards. 99% of the time zero balance at statement date. I have 6 cards now totalling over £20k credit, all with zero balance. most recent card was for air miles as this seems to be the best reward card for me without annual charges (club card card reduced point spending, cashback card now only at 0.5% etc) this started at £4300 limit. My Experian score remains at 949...
    have not paid any interest on credit cards now for 7 years
    I want to cancel some of the older cards as don't need all of them, but difference in opinions when it comes to closing off old accounts, so reluctant to do so
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend doing this.

If you, your statement balance would be £0 each month which would be reported to the credit agencies. It will look like you're not using the card at all.

Just pay it off in full when the statement is generated. Even better if you setup a Direct Debit to pay it off in full.
    It wouldn't be the same as not using it, I assume you have a credit card and have actually looked at that part of credit reports? In addition to statement balances they also report amount paid. This is important to show if using, e.g. if your statement balances show £2000, £1900, £1800 ... and payments to balance show £100 then its clear that its just being paid off and not used. If statement balances are zero but amounts paid vary all the time, then its clear its being used but paid before the statement. A card not being used would also have payments to account as zero.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Craig1981 wrote: »
    Ever Since my IVA started 7 years ago, i have done the same thing. started with high rate APR cards to rebuild. When IVA finished and 6 years passed, was accepted for "normal cards" - only got ones with bonuses to get rewards. 99% of the time zero balance at statement date. I have 6 cards now totalling over £20k credit, all with zero balance. most recent card was for air miles as this seems to be the best reward card for me without annual charges (club card card reduced point spending, cashback card now only at 0.5% etc) this started at £4300 limit. My Experian score remains at 949...
    have not paid any interest on credit cards now for 7 years
    I want to cancel some of the older cards as don't need all of them, but difference in opinions when it comes to closing off old accounts, so reluctant to do so
    Is that because you are concerned about your score? 6 cards totaling £20k isn't excessive available credit if all zero (well depends if your wage is less than this or not). Are you using them every few months to stop dormancy clauses being triggered? People have different views on old unused accounts, but I'm sure you have heard them so won't rehash them :rotfl:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend doing this.

If you, your statement balance would be £0 each month which would be reported to the credit agencies. It will look like you're not using the card at all.

Just pay it off in full when the statement is generated. Even better if you setup a Direct Debit to pay it off in full.

This is utter tosh.

The credit report shows the amount that gets transacted each month - even if the statement balance is in credit or zero.

Why would a third party care if you spend £0 or £5000?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure