CCJ on my file

Options
Hi guys, newbie here and really need some help.

I moved out the house which my partner owned July 2015. She still lives there I believe. I checked my credit file last week and I have a CCJ on it from Welsh Water.

I have spoken to Welsh Water and explained to them that I moved out on the above date and can you tell me the dates for this debt. They told me it was from March 2016 to March 2018 and we have both been given a CCJ for £1,200.

I explained I wasn't living there at those times and even offered my Bank statements showing I was paying Welsh Water at my new flat. The basically said "do one"

I knew nothing about this at all and wasn't living there at these periods, which I can prove.

Is there anything I can do?

Please help...Thanks in advance.

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Write to them, send a copy of the proof you have.

Contact the reference agency and dispute the CCJ, contact the other 2 agencies and dispute it if its on there ?
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How did Welsh Water get your name?
  • bazzyb
    bazzyb Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If the CCJ has been issued against you, you would need to get it set aside before it can be removed from your credit files. If you have evidence that you weren't living there (and therefore wouldn't have received any notification/correspondence regarding this) then it should be relatively straight forward. Speak to a clerk at the court which issued the CCJ who will explain which form you need to complete.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    were you both on the water bill pre-July 2015? When you moved out of the house, did you inform them you were no longer at the address and needed removing off the bill? If not why?
  • leicesterlee
    Options
    They said we were both on the account, but I don't recall changing anything, I could be wrong though.
  • leicesterlee
    Options
    were you both on the water bill pre-July 2015? When you moved out of the house, did you inform them you were no longer at the address and needed removing off the bill? If not why?

I didn't think of telling the Water I was moving. 1 I never knew it was in joint names. 2 it really was the last thing on my mind to ring Welsh Water up. And 3 I am 99% sure they asked for my previous address when I moved into my new flat.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    can they actually do 2 defaults (different people) for one bill , either one or the other or half the charge

if you had both have paid they would have taken £2400
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • leicesterlee
    Options
    pappa_golf wrote: »
    can they actually do 2 defaults (different people) for one bill , either one or the other or half the charge

if you had both have paid they would have taken £2400

This is what they told me this morning on the phone
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I know it's 'water under the bridge' now, as you might say, as far as the OP is concerned, but the following is good practice:

Never have utility accounts in joint names.

When you open a water account never provide the water company with anything other than your surname - no previous address, date of birth, detailed first names, phone number, email or anything else.

Remember; you don't have a contract with the water company, they are obliged to supply you, and cannot disconnect you.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's not unusual for Water bill to be under joint names, and they will have served it to the last known address.

You could apply for the CCJ to be set aside, since you have just found out about it - you have to apply within a reasonable amount of time of finding out. There is a cost. The question would then be about the debt and who would be liable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure