PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style Sunday 27 May 2018

Options

Comments

• Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Morning :wave:

Another lovely day here didn't hear any thunderstorms either last night so think they must have been south mostly. Some amazing pictures of the lighting over London.

Redruby Thats awful you must have been really scared. hope they can take some steps to protect you in your workplace

ILCs hope you had a lovely birthday I love it when birthdays land at the weekend.

Judiwhen you fly you will remember the safety advice to put on your own oxygen mask before you help others with theirs...I bet that goes against most mums instinct but it makes tons of sense. I get the feeling from your posts that you come bottom of the list for care and its gotta catch up with you at some point. Hope you can sit the lot of them down and remind them that you need some me time too.

GersCant wait to see the pics of the garden with bark :)

CrankyGood for you on the couch to 5K I cant wait to get back to some form of fitness after my op although I don't think running is advised for hip ops so think it will be swimming and gym

Lazy day planned today with Sunday Brunch first then back in to the sun with any luck. Food wise it must be potato based .....yesterday my delivery arrived and I was surprised to see a large bag of jersey royals as ordered and 16 large baking potatoes :eek: I know how I did it I thought I had ordered 4 loose baking potatoes when in fact I had ordered 4 packs of 4 :o:o The lovely Asda refunded my money and told me to keep them even though I fessed up it was my fault. I think she was just glad to get someone not complaining for once :D
    So quite what I will do with my eu potato mountain I don't know so ideas please :) I did cook all the jersey royals last night, had a large portion, then froze the rest.

So food tonight will probably be ...a potato :)

Have a fun day all and take good care of yourselves x
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Internet ate my post!

Happy birthday for yesterday I Love Comps.
    Redruby I hope you are OK, it will have been a horrible experience and I know how scary it can feel.

Sunshine now after several hours of thunderstorms, more forecast for later. We had torrents yesterday without the thunder. OH is about to go out for newsprint and I've suggested he gets on with it before it all starts again.

No fascinating plans today a friend will come over for an hour later. I might make some cake for us.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all

Weird weather last night ! we had almost constant lightening but no thunder or rain, the sky was lit up on and off for over an hour !!

Thanks for the good wishes it certainly was very scary and it has been reported and the person suspended until further notice, but it would not surprise me if they are allowed back !! :mad:

Tru when Evie comes on from a dirty walk she will go up and jump straight in the bath ready to be showered off :rotfl: they are funny little things !!

We will do a BBQ again tonight as long as the weather holds if not we have plenty to cook indoors.

Today DW needs emptying and reloading and a quick tidy through, I have stripped the beds and got them on to wash so they can be hung out today.

Will take puppy out for a nice long walk today see if we can wear her out !

Have good days all xx
  • Helebore
    Helebore Posts: 181 Forumite
    Options
    Morning!
    Nelski, that did make me laugh about your baking potatoes! Many many years ago I put in an on line order with Sainsbobs, probably one of the first I had done so it would have been on dial up ie slow internet. Anyway, fortunately I happened to look at the receipt that I think you could look at before order came but had already gone through. Thankfully. I had ordered 4 kg bananas. I only wanted 4! Was able to phone up and get it changed! What on earth would I have done with all those bananas?! Haha!
    Helena
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,033 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Plans to cut the grass came to nought - the mower won't start! Completely dead. Think buying a new one is now the plan.

The washing is out. I've had to water the garden, it's a new experience for me as I'm out of practice doing this job! As it's been raining almost non-stop since early August I had to remember how to do it. :rotfl::rotfl: I bought a new trigger for the hose as the original one was leaking very badly. The new one is also much better.

A mystery plant is growing in my garden. It hasn't been there before this year, just weird. I've posted on the gardening section as the folke there are really knowledgable and helpful.

It just shows how lovely this thread is that it takes a rude newbie to point out my mistake in such a nasty manner! Thanks for your comment Judi.

Right, next on my list is the piece of marking and then I can relax until the bark man comes. Nelski - the bark going down is, unfortunately, not the end of the work but it will mark the end of the 'heavy' work. :j I'll post up another photo in the gardening section when it's all down.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,407 Forumite
    Options
    Morning folks :).
    Slept well again but my energy has, like Elvis, left the building. I think it's weather related as we have thunder and torrential showers here. I did manage to do 2 loads in the WM yesterday and it dried to about 90%, so has been finishing off on the airers over night. Only another 3-4 loads left but can't see it getting done yet as the weatherman says probably Tuesday will be the next dryish day :(.
    On to today, Dad should be coming over for lunch/tea but it will depend on how bad the weather is. On the menu is roast chicken, roast potatoes, new potatoes and mixed veg with gravy. Tea will be a selection of sandwiches followed by doughnuts. I will probably forego the sandwiches as I can hear my weight going up just thinking about it :eek:. ( as I have a sweet tooth I will force myself to eat a doughnut.......... got to get some energy from somewhere :rotfl: )
    Gers :( to the mower. I am imagining your mower and my kettle walking hand in hand into the sunset off to appliance heaven :rotfl:.
    Nelski there are lots of potato recipes on pint*rest, under " I bought too many potatoes" ( I think ) Ask me how I know :rotfl:
    Dumpling please give your girls a hug from me.

Righty ho I'm off to put the oven on as this chicken won't cook itself, shame about that :D. I have already peeled the potatoes and put the DW on and Mr Fix It has run the hoover over the downstairs :A
    Take care all, the hug bucket is refilled so please help yourselves.
    nan xx
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if yo need one.

Late posting this morning, our usual Sunday brekkers, DB got up and surprise, surprise was out in the garden, am about to call him in, he has gone well over his allotted time.

Rhubarb part cooked for a crumble, veg prepped for supper, roast pork.

We had rain overnight but not the thunder and lightening, the garden smells fresher, if you know what I mean. I cannot wait for the weed killer to come, the weeds are going mad, but the soil is sticky and I cannot get them out, there is a massive one growing up in the rhododendron, I do need to get in and get that out.

The sink unit problem persists, the chap will not do anything until the floor has dried out. I have news for him, I do not think it is going to dry out at all........I am already getting wound up, nothing is where I need it to be..........

Judi....I meant to answer you yesterday, when I was married and had 4 little ones, my mother refused to have them unless it suited her. I only asked her to babysit once, the moans afterwards were enough. I have baby sat my grandchildren, but it was not very often. I do think you need to think about yourself a bit more. Having the little ones during the day is ok but at night is another matter. If your daughter wants to go out for an evening why not use a baby sitter. Having a baby disturb the whole house is just not on. Sorry if I sound harsh but thats how I look at it. You have had your children and brought them up, its your turn to sit back a bit.

Have just had to rake OH in from the garden, he has been out there far too long. Its almost lunch time................
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There's also the dreaded ironing to be tackled - do I bribe the youngest, since she has a day off? :rotfl: I have to iron sitting down and I find that much harder than standing. Weird, isn't it! It takes me longer as well and is not my favourite job.
    I have to sit down to iron, too. Also, I can't lift the ironing board myself, Mr LW has to set it up for me, and he invariably sets it too high and I have to get him to alter it. Thankfully he does remember I can't iron right-handed. :D

I did laugh at the doggies who take themselves to the bathroom for a shower; luckily we don't usually have to bathe any of our guests, although we did have one stay a few times who had to have a weekly bath with special shampoo for a skin condition. He only ever brought a tiddly little towel with him, so we ended up loaning him a bath towel, otherwise he'd roll on the carpet to get dry. :D

We had the thunderstorm last night, but luckily Dusty slept right through it. He's such a lovely little guest! :T
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Mrs_Salad_Dodger Posts: 4,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning everyone. Thanks for starting us off Gers :T What is it about Bank Holiday weekends :o I can think of nothing worse than being stuck on the road trying to get somewhere which will then be crowded with people :o At least your sojourn in the land of traffic jams had a good outcome - a Chinese takeaway :) Sorry about the mower - was it an old one?
    Glad you remembered how to water :rotfl: - afraid I would struggle as the hosepipe has been decluttered I think :rotfl:

TA, good news re Mr TA’s eating plan yesterday & I’m keeping everything crossed re today. Here’s hoping that a corner has been turned :) Iam glad that you are only pottering & reading. You deserve it :A You can send the starlings my way for the afternoon :rotfl: but only the afternoon :rotfl:

Cranky40 - I am mightily impressed at your determination - 5k :eek:

Love reading about Scampi & Evie :j

Redruby, I hope you are pleasantly surprised & that the person responsible is suspended permanently :mad: The ptb should have more concern for their staff, after all you & your colleagues are the glue that holds the system together & one bad apple should not be allowed to ruin the chances of the others who need help:o - rant over :rotfl:

Nelski, eu potato mountain :rotfl: - lots of soup for the freezer :D for when the cold weather returns :D

Yesterday was hot, hot, hot - my DSis couldn’t believe how much of a sun trap my garden is :shocked: Mind you there was a massive thunder & lightning storm last night & the rain was bouncing a foot off the ground it came down so hard :eek:

I was up at 8:30, made a cuppa & sat out in the garden in the warmth watching the birdies & squirrel ‘in peace & quiet’ with just the birdsong :) My DSis does love to talk ALL the time :o & I much prefer companiable silence :rotfl: DH got up about 11:00 & we had a nice chat & then DSis got up about 12:15 - no more peace & quiet :D

DH is off to see his family shortly - he will deliver the sewing machine to his niece who is about to become a grandma. DSis & I will potter & try not to kill each other :rotfl: I do love my DSis but didn’t realise how wearying she can be & this is only her third day here :eek: Oh well it will all come out in the wash :rotfl:

Full roast dinner tonight. No plans for BH Monday other than pottering about & trying to create space.

Have a great day everyone whatever your plans

MrsSD
    Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It just shows how lovely this thread is that it takes a rude newbie to point out my mistake in such a nasty manner! Thanks for your comment Judi.
    Just protecting my own.;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport