Options
1789101113»

Comments

• RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    soolin wrote: »
    The 'do I have to pay this import charge' is probably the most asked question on MSE as it is usually on several boards at the same time. I wonder if we could use some of the pertinent links that have been usually provided on this thread to make up a sticky thread.
    I was quite friendly with the person on the desk at a central Parcelforce depot. They get it continuously day in and day out, some people get quite aggressive with them too.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RFW wrote: »
    I was quite friendly with the person on the desk at a central Parcelforce depot. They get it continuously day in and day out, some people get quite aggressive with them too.

I used to queue every day at my local Mail centre to drop my mail off and the amount of arguments from people refusing to pay was amazing. I even saw one person try and snatch the item from the counter clerk and then threaten to call the police for theft as he said the parcel was addressed to him and they should not withhold it. From memory I think the counter staff had to call the police themselves in the end as the man just lost it.

I also saw lots of tears and threats that people would tell their children that a nasty man / woman at the post office wouldn't let them have their present from nanny, and others actually call the local press while the staff just got on with dealing with other people.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • vacheron
    vacheron Posts: 1,604 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    tremault wrote: »
    I already found a UK definition. Chattels. And as I already said, it doesnt change anything.
    The package wasn't my property until I accepted it.

The vat was due before delivery could be made therefore the vat was due before it became my property. After it became my property, no vat was due.

This is music to my ears!

I'm going to John Lewis this afternoon. I can't wait to tell them that I won't be paying VAT on my new TV because I they are forcing me to pay the VAT it incurrs BEFORE it becomes my property.

I guess that will probably work in Tesco too... in fact all the thousands places where they give you full title to the item BEFORE you pay the VAT the item commands. :money:

The only thing they could do is refuse to give me the item if I refuse to pay them the VAT, but then I would effectively have to walk away without paying and and relinquish my claim to the item... but what are the odds of that ever happening?
    • The rich buy assets.
    • The poor only have expenses.
    • The middle class buy liabilities they think are assets.
    Robert T. Kiyosaki
  • Mcleansc
    Options
    Holy thread bump batman!

I've just been done by this, ended up pushing my import fees to 52% of the value of the item. After paying for expensive shipping.

I've imported quite a few things (from the same person) and this is the first I've been forced to pay clearance fees. Is there any way of avoiding them? I've filled out a HMRC form before for a rather expensive purchase, but I did nothing to arrange that, it just appeared in the mail. I'm happy pay the import fees and VAT obviously, but when the 'clearance fee' is more expensive than in it's a bit frustrating.
  • Spoonie_Turtle
    Options
    Oh wow, I'm glad this thread did take a turn to sanity eventually.
    Mcleansc wrote: »
    Holy thread bump batman!

I've just been done by this, ended up pushing my import fees to 52% of the value of the item. After paying for expensive shipping.

I've imported quite a few things (from the same person) and this is the first I've been forced to pay clearance fees. Is there any way of avoiding them? I've filled out a HMRC form before for a rather expensive purchase, but I did nothing to arrange that, it just appeared in the mail. I'm happy pay the import fees and VAT obviously, but when the 'clearance fee' is more expensive than in it's a bit frustrating.

The only way to avoid them on items that incur import VAT / customs fees is to buy from a seller who is registered with HMRC and who charges you appropriately so they can then account for the fees to HMRC.

Alternatively, Amazon's global shipping programme estimates the fees outright (will refund the difference if they're less, will absorb the loss if they're more), I'm not sure about eBay's but it seems to indicate it does too.

Or just buy under the threshold for items from outside the EU (difficult), or only buy from within the EU - both of which will likely soon not be options unless there is a decent Brexit deal, although there are plans to do away with the low value threshold regardless (I don't know when though, and haven't been able to find out from HMRC, probably because even they don't know yet).
  • scalemail
    Options
    Hi, just came across this thread after being frustrated that something I’d ordered will now cost me double what I thought due to import vat and clearance fee, just wanted to express my appreciation for all of the comments taking the time to explain the laws surrounding it and providing references. I still don’t entirely understand why some things I’ve ordered from USA do have these charges and others don’t (I’m probably just being a bit thick, it seems genuinely random to me) but I honestly thought this was a bit of a con when I got the letter, similar to the original poster. Sorry, just wanted to pop on and say thanks!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    scalemail said:
    Hi, just came across this thread after being frustrated that something I’d ordered will now cost me double what I thought due to import vat and clearance fee, just wanted to express my appreciation for all of the comments taking the time to explain the laws surrounding it and providing references. I still don’t entirely understand why some things I’ve ordered from USA do have these charges and others don’t (I’m probably just being a bit thick, it seems genuinely random to me) but I honestly thought this was a bit of a con when I got the letter, similar to the original poster. Sorry, just wanted to pop on and say thanks!
    Actually it is random, I buy a lot and probably 1 in 3 packages arrives with no fees or charges. Others just slip over to the high teens in pounds and do attract fees and handling, and theres no real pattern. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    From the USA maybe more so than elsewhere like China. Postage from the US is often extortionate. Spotted
    a Leatherman pocket knife/multitool on sale for $40, normally £100+ in the UK.  Most sellers said no to posting
    to the UK, the couple that said yes wanted more than the item cost in postage alone. Even without fees it would
    have been the same price as the UK sellers. Adding fees would have made it dearer.

Went to GoOutdoors for a pricematch on an Amazon UK seller. Assistant actually found it cheaper elsewhere, one
    I would not have trusted with my money but they price matched on that so bonus for me.

Had stuff from China upto £45 with zero fees.   (well i did have one for £200/£300?  but the courier messed up and
    scrapped all fees, seller only insured for $50).

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback