3 year old PCP Faulty Car

Options
Hiya, I have a £40,000 (from new) Audi A5 2015, I am in the 3rd year of a 4 year PCP plan and I use it for work to travel all over the UK. It has done about 75,000 miles. It has recently had a problem, in that the AdBlue filter has been wedged open for an unknown amount of time (I have been complaining for the last year about how much it was using) , and now the car is in pieces in a garage after the engine light being on for weeks, and they have now found the adblue has leaked throughout all parts of the car causing damage throughout the car, with many parts needing replacing costing thousands of pounds. I am currently also paying for a hire care to keep me on the road. I have spoken to Audi Cust services, they want the car moved to a specific dealer. The car needs putting back together and shipping across to them. I have 1 year left in the PCP agreement, and right now, simply don't want the car. I don't feel safe in the car being that it is so damaged. And am not happy about having to pay thousands (the estimate is between £3000 - £5500 to fix) to fix a car that's only 3 years old that you would expect to just work considering it's a high spec car, and clearly was faulty? What can you advise on my choices in this situation?

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,477 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hiya, I have a £40,000 (from new) Audi A5 2015, I am in the 3rd year of a 4 year PCP plan and I use it for work to travel all over the UK. It has done about 75,000 miles. It has recently had a problem, in that the AdBlue filter has been wedged open for an unknown amount of time (I have been complaining for the last year about how much it was using) , and now the car is in pieces in a garage after the engine light being on for weeks, and they have now found the adblue has leaked throughout all parts of the car causing damage throughout the car, with many parts needing replacing costing thousands of pounds. I am currently also paying for a hire care to keep me on the road. I have spoken to Audi Cust services, they want the car moved to a specific dealer. The car needs putting back together and shipping across to them. I have 1 year left in the PCP agreement, and right now, simply don't want the car. I don't feel safe in the car being that it is so damaged. And am not happy about having to pay thousands (the estimate is between £3000 - £5500 to fix) to fix a car that's only 3 years old that you would expect to just work considering it's a high spec car, and clearly was faulty? What can you advise on my choices in this situation?

At three years old, why isnt this a warranty issue?

You "not wanting" or for some strange reason "not feeling safe"(?) in a subsequently repaired car (???) are not valid reasons to walk away from your obligations to the finance company.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    When you say you have been complaining about the Ad Blue use for a year was this to the dealer? If this fault has happened during the warranty period and they failed to fix it then they should be sorting this out.

(On the other hand if you have just been complaining to friends about the car and have been driving around with the initial fault present you may struggle)
  • motorguy
    Options
    wgl2014 wrote: »
    When you say you have been complaining about the Ad Blue use for a year was this to the dealer? If this fault has happened during the warranty period and they failed to fix it then they should be sorting this out.

(On the other hand if you have just been complaining to friends about the car and have been driving around with the initial fault present you may struggle)

+1

Even at or after three years with a full Audi history, Audi should be covering it, particularly if theres evidence that its polluted other systems over an extended time.
  • Jonesya
    Jonesya Posts: 1,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If all this is due to the leaking Adblue, then you need to establish why the filter was leaking:
    - was it a fault, defect or failure due to the filter itself or from manufacture, so something to pursue under warranty?
    - was it due to improper or poor maintenance by whoever you had maintain and service the vehicle, for example problem with re-fitting following a filter change etc?

You also need to get a better understanding of exactly what damage has been done and where, and what parts need replacing. Realistically, it's going to be confined to the immediate area, or at worst if it is spraying out, then some or all of the engine bay - but then with a major leak, it couldn't last long as you'd soon run out.
  • parking_question_chap
    Options
    Your issue needs to be taken up with Audi not the finance company, but I thought Audi warranties were limited to 50,000 miles.
  • motorguy
    Options
    Your issue needs to be taken up with Audi not the finance company, but I thought Audi warranties were limited to 50,000 miles.

60,000 miles, but you do make a valid point. The O/P is over their mileage on the warranty.

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/warranty.html

I'd be :-
    • Attempting to prove when the fault was first reported to Audi and what the mileage was then (assuming it was much closer to 60K miles)
    • Assuming FASH, looping in Audi UK with an expectation that Audi UK would pay or provide a significant goodwill gesture.

Once the car is running correctly, then if i was still put off the car, i'd be in to the realms of selling it on. Not the finance company's responsibility though. It would just be a normal resale.
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    60,000 miles, but you do make a valid point. The O/P is over their mileage on the warranty.

https://www.audi.co.uk/owners-area/warranty.html

I'd be :-
    • Attempting to prove when the fault was first reported to Audi and what the mileage was then (assuming it was much closer to 60K miles)
    • Assuming FASH, looping in Audi UK with an expectation that Audi UK would pay or provide a significant goodwill gesture.

Once the car is running correctly, then if i was still put off the car, i'd be in to the realms of selling it on. Not the finance company's responsibility though. It would just be a normal resale.

And this is one of the issues of taking a 4yr lease on a car with only 3yr warranty. Presumably (albeit at a cost) Audi will offer an extended warranty to cover the final year.

In this particular case I'd hope Audi would contribute (obviously depending on when they were advised and what damage had already been caused
  • motorguy
    Options
    k3lvc wrote: »
    And this is one of the issues of taking a 4yr lease on a car with only 3yr warranty. Presumably (albeit at a cost) Audi will offer an extended warranty to cover the final year.

In this particular case I'd hope Audi would contribute (obviously depending on when they were advised and what damage had already been caused

Absolutely. An extended warranty would have been a no brainer IMHO.

And yes, assuming the car has a FASH i'd expect Audi to put their hand in their pocket to a greater degree.
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    being that ad blue is an ammonia type product one would assume it could be fairly corrosive if it gets to places it shouldn't.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I presume it's the tank or pipework that's leaked, and that's located inside the car?

Nasty.

Given that you first reported the AdBlue issues within the warranty, it should be covered, even if the car is now outside on both age and mileage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure