MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Options

Comments

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    A quick reminder for anyone intending to switch a NatWest account to Barclays making the switch request in branch.

NatWest debit cards don't have your account number on them - the Barclays system needs the account number in addition to the sort code and 16 digit card number.

So don't forget to take something which shows your account number to your appointment - don't rely on the debit card being enough. ;)
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Barclays debit card arrived today- I only applied for the account on Monday evening.
    Can't cope with such efficiency!! It's an alien concept.......
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Katiehound
    Options
    ronbell101 wrote: »
    Can some one please point me in the right direction online to apply for a switch ?

I clicked on the MSE article- quoted at the top of this thread, then clicked on a link well down that page and it took me straight there. HTH
    Many thanks
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,30 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=164 £86 spent!!!
  • Markyboy112
    Markyboy112 Posts: 73 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This does not work if you are already signed up for blue rewards, customer service confirmed this.
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This does not work if you are already signed up for blue rewards, customer service confirmed this.
    In which case a complaint would be going in from me if it doesn't work, as the terms indicate it should, and no problem was indicated when I switched in branch and mentioned the offer.
  • Katiehound
    Options
    PIN arrived today. Speedy.

too good to last...!!

However, went into my local branch with required docs today. They say I need to see a 'something' manager (can't remember the term) and make an appointment. Earliest appointment is next Thursday!!
    Phoned the switch team who say that anyone in branch can check the docs and update my profile. But " each branch may operate differently!"
    Oh dear- left hand, right hand syndrome (think NatWest!)
    Good news they have managed to move switch date by a week so I don't have to start all over again!
    Many thanks

• EachPenny
    EachPenny Posts: 12,239 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Something the T&C's are not clear about is when the '12 months' of double rewards period actually starts. The best I've been able to get out of Barclays is that it starts in the calendar month when the application/request for Blue Rewards is processed and activated on the account.

However, the Rewards T&C's state:-
    As long as you do these two things [pay in £800, pay the £3 fee] in the previous calendar month, we’ll add any regular product loyalty rewards (including any direct debit loyalty reward) or enhanced cashback to your Rewards Wallet on the 2nd working day of each month.
    and
    Your monthly fee will be taken from your nominated account on the 2nd working day of each month. The first monthly fee will be taken in the month after you join Barclays Blue Rewards.
    Therefore if you get Blue Rewards in May your first fee is due on the second working day of June and the first reward payment will be made on the second working day of July.

That means you will be into your third month of membership before the first payment is made. Nobody at Barclays I've spoken to can confirm whether you are then eligible for a further 11 double payments, or only 9.

Has anyone asked a similar question and managed to get a sensible response?

The relevance of the question is that if you won't be able to get two DD's set up and taken from the Barclays account in May then you will miss a month's worth of reward if the 12 months starts with May. However, the T&C's suggest there is no reward payable in that first month regardless of whatever else you do, unless you already had Blue Rewards active and paid the monthly fee on the second working day of May.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
  • Katiehound
    Options
    oh dear it is getting complicated!
    I've got one DD going out end of May, hopefully there will be x 2 in June, and certainly x2 in July.

Maybe the year of double Blue Rewards will be the subject of a complaint when the 'year' finishes and it doesn't equate with 12 months of double rewards!

All one can do is sit tight and hopefully jump through all the hoops- correctly!!
    Many thanks

• Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well I fell foul of the Experian generated question
    Q1 in Jan this year .... (fine, got that)
    Q2 in July of last year... (yep, that one's easy)
    Q3 in June 2009.... (?@!)

I answered the 'none of the above' for Q3 b/c I never 'switched cable provider' as such, merely switched a landline from BT to TalkTalk and that form of question threw me off balance.

But now I'm locked out of the online application b/c Experian had to trawl ancient history for enough questions (and probably miscategorised it) to ask so I must 'book an appointment' to take in I.D. I can't just go to a bank brach and have it copied
    .....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
  • youngretired
    youngretired Posts: 581 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Like Ashen if Markboy112 is correct then I will be doing a complaint as when I switched in the branch the personal banker actually checked to see if he had to reset my Blue Rewards as I already had it activated and he was told no he just does a normal switch.

The T&C's clearly indicate that existing customer with Blue Rewards just need to switch and make their account a primary one. Also states to make sure that your nominated account for Blue Rewards is the one that you switch to.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure