What to do in Birmingham?

Options
We have been bought a voucher for dinner and have the offer of babysitting so we can have our first baby free evening out.

The dinner voucher is only valid until 4pm on a weekend though so we are looking for something to do (ideally in Brum city centre) on a Saturday afternoon after food and before we have a few drinks.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    Options
    Just get on the M6 toll asap.........
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cyantist wrote: »
    We have been bought a voucher for dinner and have the offer of babysitting so we can have our first baby free evening out.

The dinner voucher is only valid until 4pm on a weekend though so we are looking for something to do (ideally in Brum city centre) on a Saturday afternoon after food and before we have a few drinks.

Any suggestions?

Depends on what sort of things you like, there is plenty to do from Broadway Plaza, along Broad St, the Mailbox, Grand central, Chinese quarter and gay Village, over to Millenium Point and back to the jewellery quarter and much in between.
  • theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Shopping - Grand Central and Bull Ring close by. Walk up to Brindley Place and watch the world go by - have drinks there or call into the Sealife Centre. Take transport to Cadbury World and dream of chocolate.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions (even NineDeuce - I am tempted given my experience of Birmingham the last time I ventured there!)
    DUTR wrote: »
    Depends on what sort of things you like.

This is a very good point.

Most things - but nothing too strenuous and not shopping unfortunately! We like puzzles and science. Here they have hiddencity trails (you pay them £20 and they text you clues and you run round trying to solve them) and we've done all of these - don't suppose anyone knows of something similar in Birmingham?

Other thing is I don't really want to do anything that my daughter would really like - so the sealife centre is out because I'd feel bad going without her.
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cyantist wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions (even NineDeuce - I am tempted given my experience of Birmingham the last time I ventured there!)

This is a very good point.

Most things - but nothing too strenuous and not shopping unfortunately! We like puzzles and science. Here they have hiddencity trails (you pay them £20 and they text you clues and you run round trying to solve them) and we've done all of these - don't suppose anyone knows of something similar in Birmingham?

Other thing is I don't really want to do anything that my daughter would really like - so the sealife centre is out because I'd feel bad going without her.

With any city, you get media scare stories, the city centre is certainly a tourist spot, I don't work in the centre anymore but at one time there were various owls dotted around (which were later auctioned) I think they had another theme going later.
    There are certainly plenty of tourist attractions for you to spend an enjoyable day beyond the meal.
  • Inforapennyinforapound
    Options
    Grand Central (New Street station) is nice but mainly eateries/shopping, Birmingham museum and art gallery (free but check times) and Brindley Place,which has already been mentioned,is a lovely area with walks along the canals and interesting sights (old and new) and is very vibrant in the evening . Maybe you will use the voucher in this area?. In the same area you can take a journey in a narrow boat(water bus).
    As for Cadbury World dont bother without kids and anyway it is quite some distance from the City centre.

Brum is actually a lovely City but unfortunately people dont visit unless there is a reason and they just pass by on the M6!!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The back to backs are interesting but do need to be booked in advance.
    I'd also suggest a mooch along the canals.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • cyantist
    cyantist Posts: 560 Forumite
    Options
    The back to backs look really good. But tours seem to be only at 10:15.

Love the idea of the canal water bus - and the restaurant just happens to be right near the canal. Then the route from near there to the bar I want to go to would take us past the museum so maybe a quick look in there if there's time.

Thanks all!
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 6,990 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Birmingham was never the same after the old Bull Ring and Dolce Vita went!
    Oh and who remembers the Opposite Lock now that was worth going to.
  • pjcox2005
    pjcox2005 Posts: 1,015 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    On the clue theme then escape rooms are by snow hill station - v good, but harder with two people but still fine https://www.escapelive.co.uk/locations/birmingham/

Never done them but normal explore the city ones you can do yourself

https://www.treasuretrails.co.uk/what-to-do/west-midlands/birmingham

Library quite often has exhibitions and has a recent viewing platform.

I think you were looking for a gap on drinking but a load of gin & craft beer places for tastings.

Pesky blinders tour? Not sure on running times.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure