PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Options

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is PasturesNew on an old style posting diet?
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Whereas I just envy you all with any garden or allotment of any shape or form.

I can but dream :)
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    katkin wrote: »
    I sleep better with a full tummy. Cannot sleep if I'm hungry, a carb heavy meal also makes me drowsy so helpful for getting off to sleep.

Caronc your garden sounds lovely, like my ideal garden. I'm jealous!
    karcher wrote: »
    Whereas I just envy you all with any garden or allotment of any shape or form.

I can but dream :)
    I'm lucky that my garden is long and narrow though it's so far from "Home & Garden" / hipster but it's my space and it gives me great pleasure and sense of well being, so important when times are tough;)
    karcher - get your window sills working for you - I grew tomatoes & chillies when I lived in a studio flat (just one of each but it was fab) :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    My garden is typical new build .... smallish, although it is double the size of most of the neighbours, so not too bad. I've a non-descript front bit that the deeds say should be kept planted as it is .... I'll be ripping it all out in the next 2-3 years and replacing it with my own low maintenance offering that'll look better.

I had weetabix/milk/sugar about 1am.

This morning I had a banana for breakfast as it was there and you have to eat them else they go black and you stare at them and wish you'd eaten it while it was still yellow.
  • caronc
    Options
    Morning everyone

Still bitterly cold here:( I made stock overnight with the chicken carcass and it smells brilliant, just wish I could wave a magic wand and I could turn it into soup as it's just the weather for it, but not to be as I hate "greasy" soup so it will need cooled and chilled so I can lift the fat off before I can do anything with it. Looking forward though to the "cooks perk" of scoffing the veg I used to flavour the stock :D and no doubt some of the carcass pickings will disappear as well :o Pooch will no doubt be hovering for treats too - thankfully yesterday's tummy troubles seemed to have passed:)

I'm feeling a tad anxious as my elder son is due to go to later Westminster today for a promotion assessment tomorrow - a bit of me hopes they might put it back but another part hopes it's business as usual:cool:

PN - I much prefer bananas when they are the under side of ripe :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 March 2017 at 12:00PM
    Options
    caronc wrote: »

.... to go to later Westminster today ....
    I've never been .... will never go. Wouldn't even be able to find it if you dropped me randomly into London.

Mid December I bought a 4-pack of part-baked bread rolls, date on them said best before 8 February. They were part of the "buy that for Xmas" shopping events - things I bought and didn't eat at the time. So I thought I'd better open them and eat them up.

I've cooked two and am scoffing those with cheese/branston. One's enough, in all honesty, but as I'm more interested in getting through them soonest I'm scoffing two. I expect to nod off soon due to being over-stuffed.

:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,228 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've never been .... will never go. Wouldn't even be able to find it if you dropped me randomly into London.

I have, a few times, including walking tour inside the H of P

What I liked is all the places you see are just "there" walk a bit up the road, it's Trafalgar Square and National Gallery, got eh other way, Buck house, all very touristy but I enjoy it

One awful bit for me about yesterday's news was I have actually been there so recognised all the views, crossed the bridge etc and it could so easily have been me on some another day, but then that could be the case with many things

Back to CFO, yesterday's soup turned uot lush, had two bowls of it, and have rest in the fridge for perhaps the weekend

Early start this morning, no reason, just up and about, so it was banana for breakfast, sort of black and yellow, but I don't mind that, when a bit blacked then a cake calls :D

I was undecided for lunch, in the end I had a BIY baguette with a couple of free range Waitrose pork sausages, plucked form the freezer & actifried in side, plus bright yellow American style hot dog mustard, now have one part baked baguette left for tomorrow lunch, filling TBD

Dinner has sorted itself because I have the last two bangers now defrosted, so them plus instant mash & I think a couple of fried eggs will make the plate. When the kids were young I would have arrange this as a face, but now it will just be [STRIKE]bunged[/STRIKE] placed on the plate
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Afternoon everyone,

Well my son's promtion assessment has been postponed unfortunately this was only decided while he was en route to London:( thankfully his cost's will be covered:)

I used to live in Clapham and work in Peckham during the 1980's so used to love a wander round Westminister and the surrounding area:)

I had a bagel with smoked salmon and cream cheese with a tomato earlier swiftly followed by the stock veg :) I was a good owner and gave pooch the chicken carcass scraps;)

I'm undecided about dinner probably something with pasta or noodles. I've a pukka pie coming with my shopping in a bit but will save that for tomorrow night as for reasons unknown a pie feels more like a Friday night "treat" kind of dinner:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I made two different one pan meals today, both comfort food. First at lunch was just barley, soaked all night, in with stock and different veg, later added miso. Was gorgeous and enough for two more meals. Followed by an end of goats cheese

Second comfort meal, which I have just eaten, was all in the rice cooker. This time brown rice with organic textured soya protein, added fresh ginger, frozen leeks and fresh purple sprouting and a chopped tomato. Left it all to soak for a while and used the timer. Was scrummy, really good for a thrown together meal. Now having a few cherries and a small glass of red wine

Will light candles again this evening
  • caronc
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    I made two different one pan meals today, both comfort food. First at lunch was just barley, soaked all night, in with stock and different veg, later added miso. Was gorgeous and enough for two more meals. Followed by an end of goats cheese

Second comfort meal, which I have just eaten, was all in the rice cooker. This time brown rice with organic textured soya protein, added fresh ginger, frozen leeks and fresh purple sprouting and a chopped tomato. Left it all to soak for a while and used the timer. Was scrummy, really good for a thrown together meal. Now having a few cherries and a small glass of red wine

Will light candles again this evening

Sounds lovely I love barley especially in soup type dishes :) I might actually do some sort of one pot job with brown rice for dinner - will see how I am after putting the shopping away. Unfortunately that's one of the simple tasks that I seem to find disproportionally difficult.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure