Eon energy reviews: Give your feedback

Options

Comments

• MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hi lucky to get the E.ON Energy Fixed 2 Year both fuels v9 fixed until Oct 18 before it closed, no complaints.
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    footyguy wrote: »
    Just to clarify the situation, the ombudsman's resolution is only binding upon a supplier IF the customer accepts such resolution in full and final settlement of the complaint.

It would appear from this other thread
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5665198
    that Eggatha has now elected to reject that proposed resolution from the ombudsman too.

So that's the end of it ... unless Eggatha gets a court order (and I can't see that happening)

Spot on footyguy. Customers need to agree to the Energy Ombudsman's findings. Once they do this, we'll carry out whatever actions the Ombudsman has told us we need to do.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Options
    pineapple wrote: »
    Eon just gave me a huge shock! I transferred to another supplier in February when my deal came to an end. But today I got an email saying my bill was ready to view. WHAT? I am still able to log in so checked and it is confirmed the account is closed with nothing owing. Phew. OK a glitch but please Eon no more - my heart won't take it!

Sorry about this pineapple. I was aware of a system issue that has had an impact on how we've communicated with certain customers both existing and previous. Not sure what caused it as, to be honest, the techy stuff goes over my head but our IT people are working to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Hope your heart has recovered.

Malc
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    Options
    Eggatha wrote: »
    Thank you for linking to this thread Malc- I'm still getting the hang of navigation on here :)

When I eventually got to the bottom of what happened, it transpired that EON had set up two accounts with different numbers. We paid a bill over the phone using a debit card (the bill itself was unexpected, as we'd understood that we'd been on a dual fuel direct debit scheme and we knew that we'd had been paying direct debits). Unknown to us, the call handler apparently applied the payment to the wrong account before merging the accounts together, and we have been told that the disputed balance was never paid off when we made the payment. As you have said, any balance owed should have been transferred to the live account when the accounts were merged; we understood that the payment we made cleared the disputed balance before merging took place so there was no debt to transfer. EON now claim that they didn't apply the payment made to the in-debt account. Obviously we have no way of checking that, because the account ceased to exist as far as we knew- until the day that the letter threatening action for non-payment arrived, over 3 years later.

The above is a very, very long story cut short, and summarises a protracted correspondence with a complaints department who couldn't understand the case at all. It worries me greatly that nobody in the complaints resolution team (or, presumably, the account management department) could understand their own payment and accounting system until I pieced things together from our own documents.

Frankly, I'm sorry that I ever bothered looking through my own documentation in a bid to resolve it, because as soon as I unearthed the possibility of EON having mismanaged payments to the two accounts and messing up the merging process, a member of the complaints team transferred funds without our agreement from our live EON account (not bank account) to pay the disputed bill. We have still never seen any evidence from EON that this amount was ever actually owed- as far as we were concerned, we'd paid the bill three years previously and had a receipt for it- let alone given options to pay off in installments, as the regulations state we should have the chance to do.

The licensing standards oblige suppliers to review accounts annually, and update customers with new payment arrangements. Over a period of three years, EON failed to notify us of any outstanding debt (debt that we couldn't possibly have been aware of, since we'd been given a receipt for paying it) and I believe that this therefore breaches their licensing agreement.

That said, my concern now is the bigger picture. I had understood that we were protected by the back-billing regulations and the licensing standards. However, it would appear that suppliers have free rein to mismanage payments and accounts, fail to meet their obligations to annually review accounts, and demand enormous sums many years after customers have paid the bill, as long as the original bill was sent within 12 months of energy use.

I will be reporting what I believe to be a breach of the licensing standards (failure to review accounts annually) to OFGEM- I know that they cannot intervene in our particular case, but they should have the opportunity to investigate EON. I will also be asking OFGEM to consider protecting consumers by extending the back-billing regulations to prevent customers being forced to pay for a supplier's accounting error which is over 12 months old. Finally, I will be contacting as many consumer groups as possible to raise awareness of this loophole, as I don't think customers are aware of the limitations of the back-billing regulations.
    Eggatha wrote: »
    Just to clarify- 'account' referred to our EON account rather than bank account. Eon transferred funds from our live EON account to pay a disputed sum on an account which we had been told had been fully paid up 3 years previously , and as far as we knew no longer existed. They didn't take money from our bank account.

Hello Eggatha and thanks for posting some more details.

My first thought was that the electricity and gas had been set up as separate accounts with their own unique numbers and then merged as a One Bill under a single number (either the electricity or gas). The other number becoming redundant. This is a common practice and, as I mentioned above, balances are automatically transferred to the live account.

The additional information doesn't match with this though. If it did, the payment you made 3 years ago should've either cleared the amount outstanding so a zero balance was transferred or have been switched to the new One Bill as a credit.

I can understand your frustration as it certainly seems we haven't adequately explained what has happened. Has the Ombudsman told us to provide a better, more detailed explanation as part of their findings?

From what I understand from your posts, it doesn't sound like the Billing Code will apply. This is a specific industry mechanism where [FONT=&quot]we've failed to bill accurately due to something we've done wrong. It applies where we're at fault for customers not receiving an accurate bill. Here, we won't charge for any unbilled energy used more than 12 months from the point the problem was fixed.

I take your point about a suitable mechanism to deal with failings outside of these billing issues but, as things stand, this wouldn't be the Billing Code in its current form.

We do transfer balances from one account to another where appropriate. The complaint handler should've explained what they were doing and why.

Sorry we weren't able to sort this to your satisfaction [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Eggatha.

Malc[/FONT]
    Options
    Wolf3 wrote: »
    Whilst i agree it doesn't sound like you have been treated well Eggatha, i think you might have a slight misconception.
    I believe the back-billing regulations relate to live accounts which you say have been paid by a Direct Debit. Whereas closed accounts with no live gas or electricity can be chased for outstanding balance for up to 5 years. If that amount was outstanding on the closed account when the accounts were merged they are able to pursue that payment.

I agree, Wolf3. It sounds like this case falls outside of the Billing Code. As above, this applies where we're at fault for not billing or not billing accurately. It comes under the Code of Practice for Accurate Bills and we're audited each year by an independent body that check we're applying it properly.

Malc
    Options
    My transfer over to EON and their v9 tariff, went live on 7 June. Since then, I have been contacted about going onto their vulnerable persons registered and have also been allowed to set up a password, that I can request all EON callers to give, before allowing them access.

I have given them weekly readings, two statements have been issued, both of which have been spot on.

For my estimated usage, my TCR is 14.85p and is the cheapest I have been paying in a very long time.

Although early days, very happy so far.

Hello SpotlandRules and glad things have gone well so far.

It's good you've signed to our Priority Services Register (PSR). This is a record of any vulnerability or disability in the household that could be affected by a loss of power or gas. It also means we can give you access to certain services that might be suited to your particular circumstances or needs.

As well as setting up a password to help protect against bogus callers, there are other things we can do too. This includes notification of planned supply interruptions; large print, Braille or talking bills if visually impaired; pre-arranged quarterly meter readings; free annual gas safety checks; and a bill nominee scheme where we send bills to family members, carers etc where they're looking after accounts. There's more about our PSR on the website.

Hope this is of interest SpotlandRules. Let me know if you need any more information as happy to help.

Malc
    Options
    MoneyMate wrote: »
    Hi lucky to get the E.ON Energy Fixed 2 Year both fuels v9 fixed until Oct 18 before it closed, no complaints.

Nice one MoneyMate. This tariff was withdrawn from sale on 25 October 16 but you're okay as your prices are fixed until the end date in October 18. If something better did come along, there are no exit fees with this product leaving you free to switch tariff or supplier without penalty.

Glad no complaints so far.

Malc
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Everything seems to have switched successfully with the electricity but not the gas. Eon have estimated the opening gas meter reading despite me entering it through their online system when asked to and them having a record of this reading on their system.. The reading they have estimated is far more than what we have used to date which has resulted in a large final bill from our previous supplier for gas that we haven't even used yet :mad: Also, this final direct debit will go out at the same time as our first direct debit to eon.

When I called to find out what had happened, they explained that they have a 'problem with their online system' so that new customer's readings are not always validated. Also, they can't do anything about it...

The only thing they could do is suggest I cancel our direct debit to them and let them recalculate when we get our first bill in 3 months. When asked if I felt they had 'resolved' my problem today, I said no and have been awarded a 'goodwill gesture' of £5 off our first bill - which might just cover the cost of the phone call this morning :rotfl:

All in all, the 'computer says no' response is a bit frustrating and paying more than double our usual energy bill next month is going to be very annoying. New customers might be advised to give opening meter readings over the phone if they want to avoid this.
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • keithgawler
    Options
    Would be interested in E.on smart meter compatibility with British Gas (who I will be shortly switching away from) and also how long I would have to wait for a new smart meter if not compatible (BH24 area). Have email E.on but yet to receive a reply so if an E.on moderator gets to this first then please reply here!

I've got E.on on my shortlist list (pending any new MSE collective coming through in the next couple of weeks) but keen to make sure I switch armed with the best facts.

TIA
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @keithgawler
    If you move away from British Gas then your smart meter will just act as a dumb or normal meter. That is you will have to read the meter yourself and send in readings to e.on or whoever.
    I doubt e.on or whoever would swap a working meter that has become dumb but you could only ask.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback