Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    schiff wrote: »
    I don't know if you can withdraw added interest from an ongoing RS without breaking the T&Cs but an interesting point arises.

Yes you can withdraw the interest as the account is not fixed like other regular savers, I removed the interest paid in March from my online regular savers and I will do the same with the store versions when their interest is added at the end of the month.

This means that the totals are round figures, rather then paying in less then I do to make the balance an even round number.

Waiting for the first Virgin RS to mature in of the month, then I will know how it works for the other 12 I have opened

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • Westie983
    Westie983 Posts: 5,213 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Not sure if this has been mentioned, but its not on the front page, so needs updating Leeds issue 7 has been withdrawn,

Issue 8 has been launched, you cant open issue 8 if you have issue 5, 6, or 7.

http://www.leedsbuildingsociety.co.uk/savings/regularsaver/

Westie983
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Banking & Borrowing, and Reduce Debt & Boost Income boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySaving Expert.
    Save 12k in 2023 #58 Total (£4500.00) £2500.00/£5000 = 50.00%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~17 #24 Total (£55.00) £0.00/£500 = 0.00%
    Xmas 2023 £1 a Day #13 Total (£85.00) £344.00/£365 = 94.24%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total (£500) £550.00/£500 = 110.00%
    £2 Savers Club 2023 #17 Total (£25.00) £45/£300 = 15.00%
    The 365 1p Challenge 2023 #7 Total £656.19/£667.95 = 98.23%
    Total £4095.19/£7332.95 = 55.84%
  • interest_Ted
    Options
    Sad news received in today's post.
    YBS Reg Saver (issue 1) will change to a "single access saver" with rate reduced from 3.55% down to 1.50%, (which I note is less than the current regular saver rate !)
    Change is due on 14 Dec, but they are going to pay accrued bonus early, on 14 Oct.
    Anyway - guess we all knew something would probably happen sooner or later.
    Understand similar thing happening to the Regular saver issue 2.
    Disappointed Ted
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I search the forum, and the saffron bs website, but yet to find out if it is possible to pay a 13th monthly payment into the saffron 12 month fixed regular saver account. Does anyone know?

I phoned them two weeks ago and she said 12 payments only, no 13th payment allowed.
  • Speculator
    edited 4 October 2017 at 4:45PM
    Options
    YBS Reg Saver (issue 1) will change to a "single access saver" with rate reduced from 3.55% down to 1.50%, (which I note is less than the current regular saver rate !)
    Change is due on 14 Dec, but they are going to pay accrued bonus early, on 14 Oct.
    Disappointed Ted

Disappointing news. Only Stroud & Swindon/Coventry (2.75%) and N&P Family Saver/Family Esaver (3.25%) left now.

Does it say in the letter if they will allow closure by BACS/FP to our current accounts or is it CHAPS/Cheques only? Thanks.
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does anyone knwo the best way to close a postal account with pass book such as Leeds RS i3.

Leeds RS i3 is maturing on October 31, 2017 I just called them that I wanted to close it, bus he was asking me to send the letter together with the pass book to them.

Sending the passbook will need to be done by signed for letter otherwise it might loose during transfer and you have no proof of posting it. Signed for will cost around £1.75 not to mention time need to go to the post office.

Does anyone a better method to close your RS with passbook such as Leeds RS ??
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Disappointed Ted

Please can I ask where your info came from? Have you had a letter in the post? Nothing on the website yet.

I've got the regular saver issue 2 which is the odd one with the 0.05% interest but a total of 3% including bonus - interest just paid out on October 1st.
    This was one of my first forays into collecting regular savings - October 2013. Its redeeming feature is that in March 2017 they let us pay £500 a month in instead of £250.
    I also have the newest regular saver started in February 2017 - again £500 a month - OH pays one and I pay the other. This one pays a miserable 1.75% - this is the sacrificial goat when I run short of money to pay the other regular savers.
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • mhoc
    mhoc Posts: 19,262 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    Does anyone knwo the best way to close a postal account with pass book such as Leeds RS i3.

Leeds RS i3 is maturing on October 31, 2017 I just called them that I wanted to close it, bus he was asking me to send the letter together with the pass book to them.

Sending the passbook will need to be done by signed for letter otherwise it might loose during transfer and you have no proof of posting it. Signed for will cost around £1.75 not to mention time need to go to the post office.

Sorry cant help, mine is just online and I am putting off thinking about it until the final week in the month.
    I am going to start up the Chorley one to take its place
    “Create all the happiness you are able to create; remove all the misery you are able to remove. Every day will allow you, --will invite you to add something to the pleasure of others, --or to diminish something of their pains.”
  • Speculator
    edited 4 October 2017 at 5:05PM
    Options
    adindas wrote: »

Post it to your nearest branch and phone them next morning to see if they've received it. Should be easier to locate your passbook than if you posted it to head office.

Post it at the Post Office and ask for a certificate of posting.

I may make a trip to the Stevenage branch. Does anyone know if it's closure by cheque only or will they allow BACS/FP withdrawals?
  • mgarl10024
    mgarl10024 Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The T&C aren't clear, but it would be great if they get chance to check what happened last year and report back.

Just checked - 13th payment was returned.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure