Massive family problem & It's tearing me up. Needing guidance

Options

Comments

• sheepy21
    sheepy21 Posts: 221 Forumite
    Options
    z1a wrote: »
    Maybe it IS all your fault.

What a horrid thing to say, OP is clearly upset and struggling, to tell them that is just not on
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    if youve all grown apart i'd leave them to it.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could write your frustrations in a diary then you can't offend anyone. maybe the online thing is because you need someone to believe you and take your side? Try to get past that.
    I'd say distract yourself. You can choose friends but family is tricky. You won't always get along just because you are related.
    It sounds like this issue is consuming you. Find some hobbies to immerse yourself in. Go out with positive people. Do some exercise to get the frustration out.
  • m1kjm
    m1kjm Posts: 1,264 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
  • Charleyalmostking
    Options
    Yes, unfortunately that is the knife thing i was on about.

And yeah I think I'll leave things be as they are and just work on building myself a better life,
    Make new friends and create new experiences.

It doesn't seem like my auntie posted anything about it in our family facebook group chat.
    That was what I was more worried about. Hopefully they won't find out
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
  • seashore22
    seashore22 Posts: 1,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why do you have more than one persona on here? There's really no need.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 May 2018 at 1:48AM
    Options
    I am over 50 now, had a nightmare time as a child, emotional and physical abuse, grew up thinking either I was mad or bad, maybe both lol.

It took many years for me to begin sorting my head out. I was never close to my family (was the odd one out but I'm still not totally sure why). To my family I am 'awkward'. I have been accused of lying many many times when I (in the past) tried to talk to my family and ask why things happened. Been told I exaggerated, they couldn't remember, making a fuss out of nothing - even by my brother who was also abused .., anything and everything.

It culminated in one argument when I was in my 30's. And I finally realised I was onto a loser communicating with them. It was always going to be hurtful and damaging given our inability to resolve past incidents. I don't have contact with any of them. Its taken time but I am at peace with the 'unresolved' ness of the situation.., sometimes you just can't. I have made a life for myself, sometimes a bit messy but I have two wonderful children. There are down times, but they get less and less as I work on what's going on in my head. To be honest, this forum has helped me enormously. Do better than me, sort it out now while you are young.

And my story is very definitely not unique. Get some counselling to help you resolve the things that have happened in your head (MIND tend to do fairly inexpensive counselling if you phone them and ask what is happening in your area) but concentrate on making your own life, as you want it to be. You can and will. Someone who survives abuse may be damaged by it but is intrinsically strong and an independent thinker. I can see that you are. Celebrate that. Celebrate that you don't need to hide things as it seems other people in your family do, it will enable you to make different, more informed and happier choices.

If you need to vent, write stories and poems but don't put them on the net unless you can hide anything that can be tracked back to you. Its amazing how these things get seen by people who know you.

The best way of venting usefully is to get therapy.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Struff happens,d eal with it and move on.

You don't like your family then cut ties, there are no rules that say you need to stay in touch.

Sounds a bit drama llama to me, it's your choice how you handle things and you are basically putting your life and other people's out there, which isn't fair to do in an identifiable way.
  • Doodles
    Doodles Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Writing blogs is a popular way now to get things off our chest, but they do run their risks as you have found out.

As an adult, we sometimes have to make difficult choices about who we allow in our lives. Sounds like your auntie may be someone that you need to cut ties.

My observations about your post though. The style you have written in is very 'troubled'. It's full of drama, he said, she said etc etc which suggests to me that you are young, or a sense of immaturity (sorry!). Maybe this is contributing to others not believing you, if you come across like this in real life.

If you have experienced abuse, then counselling is an excellent way to talk things through with a professional and start to heal. I would also suggest a chat with your doctor about your depression.

You have to cut ties with people that bring you right down, even if that's family.
  • Charleyalmostking
    Options
    I never used names I never said what happened ... I honestly literally wrote we're distant.

I can't make amends , I can't talk it through. I try and talk to others at family events and apart from the initial "hey how are you" I'm forgotten about or that's just it.

No hope in rebuilding:(
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure