Teenager and trainers

Options

Comments

• seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If kids know the value of money then they wouldn't ask for shoes so expensive. Both my teenage boys were non-label orientated and used to laugh at those stupid enough to spend big on a label.

My son never cared either.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My son never cared either.
    Neither did mine and still doesn't age 17. My daughter is a different matter however.......
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neither of my kids have either but it's the luck of the draw i think. I'm pleased they didn't as i can't afford stuff like that. My daughter( 17 next week) wanted some Timberland boots for Christmas last year, not for the label, she just likes them, i used Quidco and got them in the Office sale for just over £100 they were her main present, normally she's happy with Primark stuff which suits me ! I'd hate to feel under pressure to buy what they want but if you can afford it, and they appreciate it then i probably would. If they throw tantrums if you say no, then i'd dig my heels in. My daughter has a part time job and quite often we negotiate how much she is going to contribute if it's something expensive, otherwise she knows she's paying so it's off to Primark !
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    No I wouldn't.
    I would give her the cost of a 'regular' pair and if she wanted the more expensive ones she could pay the difference herself whether that be by saving up her pocket money/ allowance/ earnings from part time job/chores etc

This was my stance 15 years ago my DD decided the expensive ones were not worth the extra and she only did it once..
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    This was my stance 15 years ago my DD decided the expensive ones were not worth the extra and she only did it once..

Ditto.
    We started when she wanted the school shoes with the flashing lights in the heels and progressed using the same principle throughout the teenage years.

Her dad is now using the same regarding her wedding - he's given her the maximum he can afford (enough to pay for a perfectly good wedding at a local venue) they want a country manor house and a few other fancy bells and whistles so are paying the difference themselves.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Caroline_a wrote: »
    Are these for fashion or for sport? If for sport then I would answer maybe, but if she never goes near any sorting of sporting activity it would be a resounding no!

I do somewhat agree with this, depending on the sport and commitment level to it - I paid about $120 for my most recent running trainers and have done over 500 miles in them (due to be replaced). Fashion trainers = £40 for me

I would suggest she has a budget of X and if she wants something more than that, she needs to contribute the difference.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,706 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Converse might be a suitable acceptable alternative. Still expensive IMHO but less than those trainers....
  • Rachel83
    Rachel83 Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Mine get a bog standard 'allowance' for trainers they have to make up this amount from pocket money if they want the 'it' pair. She's 12 and her brother will have the same rules... He's 8 (the only thing he cares about at the moment is Pok!mon cards!)
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Growing up, my siblings and I changed from getting pocket money to getting a clothing allowance, when we became teenagers. We were given a lump sum once every 3 months, and got to chose how to budget and spend it.

Our parents paid for school uniforms, school shoes, and a winter coat. And for essential school equipment

We got to chose how we spent the rest - clothes, shoes, make-up / toiletries, leisure activities etc.

It worked really well, as we could chose what we wanted, so if you decided you wanted the expensive trainers you could have them, but that might mean you couldn't have anything else new. And no grumbling at parents allowed, because it was your choice, not theirs!

It was also really useful to us longer term as it meant we got experience at budgeting and planing, and I think that did help us to avoid making bigger and longer-lasting mistakes when we were older.

Maybe you should talk to your wife and suggest something similar, moving forward?
    And perhaps discuss your joint parenting choices, so that you are on the same page. It seems like this is less about whether it's appropriate to buy the trainers and more about having differing views about what's appropriate to spend, and to buy on demand.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not blinkin likely.

I also wouldn't spend that amount on a pair of trainers or shoes for myself, ones at £50 are perfectly fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure