Oh, the shame - I forgot to scan one item in Tesco!!

Options
12346»

Comments

• DNotebook
    Options
    Two days ago I got a service check and I had a loaf of bread with a reduced label. So when the assistant scanned the ithe loaf, she scanned the full price barcode instead of the reduced label so it showed as me having an item in my bag that hadn't been scanned. She admitted that it was her mistake and told the manager that she scanned the wrong barcode. So the manager had to rescan all my shopping because there's no other way to do it. Then last night I went in there again and I got another service check and when the assistant scanned the barcode thing that they have on a card that they scan before they do a service check, the screen turned red on the scanner and I was led to another checkout and had to put all my shopping on the conveyer belt and have it all put through the till. And then tonight it wouldn't let me get a scanner at all. A message came up on the screen when I tried to get the scanner saying "There is a problem. See customer services." Other people were using scanners so it's obvious my card has now been blocked. So I'm now being penalised for the staff member's mistake. I'm livid! It's literally delaying me every evening now. There's no staff override on the Tesco machine to say that it's their mistake and not mine. And when that red screen came up on the scanner they were really smug about having stopped a "shoplifter" from stealing from them a second time. I feel shame-faced going in there now.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    DNotebook wrote: »
    Two days ago I got a service check and I had a loaf of bread with a reduced label. So when the assistant scanned the ithe loaf, she scanned the full price barcode instead of the reduced label so it showed as me having an item in my bag that hadn't been scanned. She admitted that it was her mistake and told the manager that she scanned the wrong barcode. So the manager had to rescan all my shopping because there's no other way to do it. Then last night I went in there again and I got another service check and when the assistant scanned the barcode thing that they have on a card that they scan before they do a service check, the screen turned red on the scanner and I was led to another checkout and had to put all my shopping on the conveyer belt and have it all put through the till. And then tonight it wouldn't let me get a scanner at all. A message came up on the screen when I tried to get the scanner saying "There is a problem. See customer services." Other people were using scanners so it's obvious my card has now been blocked. So I'm now being penalised for the staff member's mistake. I'm livid! It's literally delaying me every evening now. There's no staff override on the Tesco machine to say that it's their mistake and not mine. And when that red screen came up on the scanner they were really smug about having stopped a "shoplifter" from stealing from them a second time. I feel shame-faced going in there now.

Dont use the scanner thing again, go in with a trolleyand do your shopping as per usual.

Or shop elsewhere.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Don't like the sound of this at all - our Tesco hasn't introduced this system (yet) but if I were to be treated as a criminal because of a simple mistake I would just abandon the lot and walk out. There are other shops.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Options
    DNotebook wrote: »
    Get a new clubcard?
  • mnevis
    mnevis Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    What is the legal position of the customer should the customer refuse to submit to a "random service check"? Surely once the "invitiation to treat" has been accepted and the goods paid for, the goods then become the property of the customer and the shop has no further interest in them legal or otherwise. This "random service check" procedure, which I have never heard of before, surely must be an illegal procedure. It is tantamount to the shop adopting the procedure of suspecting every single customer as a potential thief and demanding that the customer submits to their will.
  • Lrimas
    Lrimas Posts: 196 Forumite
    Options
    I love the self scan and always use it. You can see exactly what your total shopping is and you never have to queue.

And despite being very forgetful I've never forgotten anything (and I regularly get checked).

The checks happens before you pay so I can't see how they can be illegal. At that point the stuff in your trolley still belongs to the shop.
  • glider3560
    Options
    mnevis wrote: »
    What is the legal position of the customer should the customer refuse to submit to a "random service check"? Surely once the "invitiation to treat" has been accepted and the goods paid for, the goods then become the property of the customer and the shop has no further interest in them legal or otherwise. This "random service check" procedure, which I have never heard of before, surely must be an illegal procedure. It is tantamount to the shop adopting the procedure of suspecting every single customer as a potential thief and demanding that the customer submits to their will.
    It occurs *before* payment. There has been no "invitation to treat" at this point. You don't have to submit to it, but then they will refuse to sell you the products.
  • diygardener
    diygardener Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    I complained to their CEO about the way that the service check was done - rescanning every one of the 64 items in my bags in a public arena with no proper facilities to store any of the items before rebagging them. Nothing was said about any discrepancy at the time. It was only in response to my complaint that they said they had discovered one item value £1.99 in my bags that had not been scanned by myself.

However, on reviewing my receipt and the contents of our cupboards, I discovered that the Tesco staff themselves must have scanned one item twice. By not making me aware of the discrepancy at the time, I had no way of ensuring that they corrected their error.

According to their written response I am now to be targeted for further security checks in future. No way. I categorically refuse to use their "scan as you shop" service if this is the way they treat honest and loyal customers. I have asked to be reimbursed the £1.99 they overcharged me in the process and will let you know the result of this.

I think it is disgraceful and they should suspend the "Scan as you Shop" facility until such a time as they can implement an accurate means of checking in a way that does not cause so much inconvenience and embarrassment to loyal and honest customers.
  • glider3560
    Options
    In Tesco today I saw some of the scanners have a red handle. There's a sign next to them saying if you randomly get a red scanner, your full shop will have to be rescanned (see here, other people have spotted it too: https://www.revk.uk/2018/06/tesco-scan-as-you-shop.html).

I don't get the point. If they tell you before doing your shopping that the whole lot will need to be scanned again, what's the point of using the scanner?

If I get a red scanner now, I'm just going to put it back and shop normally (not that I visit Tesco much now we have a Lidl).
  • secretmaggie
    Options
    I have just come back from a most embarrassing time at Tesco Bidston scan and shop. I used this system once a long time ago, I had to ask the security bloke how to use it. I did this because I was taking my husband for a covid vaccination and I was in a hurry. I did my shopping (which I do there every week) and packed my bags carefully and was very pleased with myself until I got to the checkout. I asked one of two ladies who were busy chatting, what I did next as I had forgotten. One stayed where she was and told me what to do. Then a lady came over and said she had to do a spot check, which she did and found an item had not been scanned. I was most surprised but said ok just scan it now then. Oh no the assistants said and took me to a corner of the area  in full view of passing shoppers and took out all my shopping and rescanned it all. I explained I was in a hurry but they just stared at me like I was some kind of criminal. I am 66 years old and have shopped at Tesco Bidston for 10 years. I have used Sainsbury's scan and shop and never had a problem. I will never put myself through the humiliation of today ever again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback