Rewards Checker Discussion

Options
This thread is to discuss the new

Please click reply to discuss

Comments

• Torkijo
    Torkijo Posts: 506 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Looks OK, but doesnt have the Egg Money card on it so no use to me.

Cheers

T
  • keckydelhi
    Options
    I haev an Ulster Bank card but they don't use Airmiles any more and haven't in ages. It;s called your points - I'd like to know how this onecompares because the airmiles one is no use to me
  • singhy
    singhy Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Would it please be possible to add the popular NatWest cards in there please e.g. NatWest Black? These use the NatWest YourPoints which aren't quantified and would be very useful to have, thanks!
  • singhy
    Options
    keckydelhi wrote: »
    I haev an Ulster Bank card but they don't use Airmiles any more and haven't in ages. It;s called your points - I'd like to know how this onecompares because the airmiles one is no use to me

Ah, I've just checked and this is the same program I was looking for info on; UlsterBank, NatWest and RBS all use YourPoints
  • lynnechapman
    lynnechapman Posts: 219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would it be possible to include the Priority Club card which gives points at Holiday Inns?
    Lynne
  • Former_MSE_Dan
    Former_MSE_Dan Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi folks,

Natwest Yourpoints aren't available to new customers at the moment, only those who had existing Natwest etc cards when the change from Airmiles happened.

We asked Natwest for a full breakdown of what's available on the scheme (as the only way we can evaluate reward schemes is to see everything thats available, not just the ones Natwest publicise), but they wouldn't do that, so we are trying to find other ways.

Hope this helps,

Dan
    Former MSE team member
  • singhy
    edited 25 June 2009 at 9:18PM
    Options
    MSE_Dan wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Natwest Yourpoints aren't available to new customers at the moment, only those who had existing Natwest etc cards when the change from Airmiles happened.

Thanks for letting us know why, Dan. I did actually only sign up for a NatWest card a few months ago, and use YourPoints as a new customer, although admittedly that's a NatWest Black card so I suppose that's not the norm.

If I can help by logging into the site and finding out any information, please don't hesitate to get in touch.
  • Stephe
    Options
    While the rewards checker is good so far as it goes, it begins from an assumption that one has a certain number of points.

Another factor that determines the value of these points is how fast they are accumulated, and the formula for this is not as straightforward as one might assume:

I have a "Sainsbury's Local" over the road from me, so it is worthwhile my collecting Nectar points. 2 points are "awarded" for every pound spent, so you might assume that for every £100 I spend there, I will have received 200 points...

Unfortunately, Sainsbury's only "award" 2 points for every whole pound spent, so with an average spend of about £2.50 per visit, my £100 spent only "earns" me about 160 points. (I haven't done the maths in full — this site may be for obsessives, but I am only a new member and this is my first post — give me time!)

This may be discussed elsewhere — if so, sorry — but I haven't seen it yet.
  • Stephe
    Options
    Actually, I get more than this — Sainsbury's offer 1 "bonus point" for having your own shopping bag. The staff didn't always bother recording this, so I've taken to answering the automatic "d'y'need a bag?" question with a cheery-sounding (I hope), "No, I bring my own; I get brownie-points for it!"

The poor staff must be fed-up with me!
  • jonthedog
    jonthedog Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think it is misleading and unhelpful to think of the 'true' value of £10 worth of clubcard vouchers being £40. The only products and services you can buy at this ratio on the deals tokens are those with a very high mark up anyway, e.g. restaurant meals, brouchure holidays, jewelery, RAC membership.
    To look at the above examples, restaurants that accept deals tokens are pretty much the same chains offering the perpetual 2 for 1 offers; as you can't use them at the same time the true 'value' of your deals tokens is halved. I'm sure no dedicated moneysaver has occasion to buy a holiday at the full brouchure prices that often...you can't use the vouchers on the last minute deals. I don't think many moneysavers would go for RAC membership over one from a comparison website at 1/4 of the cost.
    And as for Goldsmiths, well if you compare the price of just a plain platinum wedding band, Goldsmiths charge £500, H Samuel charge £350, internet price £200...it's a reasonable assumption to think that this mark up applies accross the range.
    What I'm saying is, yes deals tokens are great, and yes, you have to spend them on something, but it is very unhelpful to think of them as an actual cash value...they force you to buy an expensive product you wouldn't normally buy. This tool perpetuates the idea that people should automatically think that clubcard vouchers are worth 4x their face value when making decisions. They aren't; it's 2-3 at best.
    Incidently, I have had a tesco credit card for the last 8 years or so and have racked up the vouchers...yet to find anything to spend them on outside of the odd meal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure