Can I loan my daughter my credit card for an emergency

Options
2»

Comments

• shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    My sister once couldn't find card just before a holiday so I gave her mine without any dire consequences. Of course you shouldn't do it, but I'm not sure it's a really big deal.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »
    My sister once couldn't find card just before a holiday so I gave her mine without any dire consequences. Of course you shouldn't do it, but I'm not sure it's a really big deal.

Except the OP's question was this:

My concern is if this card is stolen, would I be covered for any misuse?

And the answer to that is that she should be concerned as she almost certainly won't be covered. If all goes without a hitch then you're right that there's unlikely to be any problem with the card, but if it does go wrong she could be heavily out of pocket. And as someone who had been pickpocketed on 3 occasions in Barcelona I know how easily it can happen.
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,125 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It seems very common in American films - but I don't know how much it happens in real life or in the UK.

I've used my wife's contactless debit card to pay for drinks in a pub, to save her going to the bar, but that's the closest I've come to your suggestion.

I wouldn't do it. Your daughter needs a variety of payment methods, needs to store them separately and needs to remain vigilant. I've spent several days wandering around Barcelona with no problems at all - but then I'm quite successful at looking like I don't have two beans to rub together.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,584 Forumite
    Options
    Good idea Guerillatoker.

@gillybean129 - Load up the pre-paid card with the necessary budget and your good to go!!

Have a look at the MSE Prepaid Cards Guide Discussion Area
    Beware of such cards, its cheaper and easier in general to use your regular bank debit card overseas.

An exception is Loot.io - or ideally the Starling Bank debit card arrives in a couple of days or so if she's over 18, if under 18 the Nationwide FlexOne account debit card has no overseas fees but may take a bit longer to arrive.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • redpete
    redpete Posts: 4,693 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    shortcrust wrote: »

It isn't a big deal if nothing goes wrong. It could be a big deal if the card is stolen or misused in some way where you would claim that spending on the card is unauthorised. You will have let given card and PIN to a third party and almost certainly be refused any refunds.

Your risk.
    loose does not rhyme with choose but lose does and is the word you meant to write.
  • gillybean129
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies
    She will be taking cash, a crossbody bag, a hidden belt type clip wallet, storing cash in more than one area, only taking out what she needs and her debit card as back up
    Plus she has insurance though obviously a £50 excess.
  • chattychappy
    chattychappy Posts: 7,302 Forumite
    edited 4 August 2018 at 9:40AM
    Options
    boo_star wrote: »
    If you do it you're going to wave away your ability to claim fraud if the card is cloned or stolen. Given how costly that could be it's not something I'd do myself.

You are not liable for unauthorised transactions. By giving a card to somebody else, you become liable for those transactions because they have authorised them on your behalf. But if the card is stolen, those subsequent transactions are still unauthorised.

Just because you have broken the rules doesn't mean you've waived all your rights. But I agree it might be a struggle!

Incidentally, if you give a card to somebody for a specific purpose or transaction and they go beyond that, the FOS has held that the transaction is still authorised.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Why not get her to take a Starling card - you can transfer funds to it online quickly, as long as there is internet access and she has the app on her smartphone.
  • Yawn
    Yawn Posts: 151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The new Transferwise debit card is amazing and might be a good option here. You could top up the account in seconds if she needs extra cash?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    edited 11 August 2018 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Is it "user friendly" - no fees for ATMs or goods & services ?

One quick glance only - looks like £200 monthly withdrawal limit, then 2% fee thereafter.

Otherwise the Starling card is a better deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure