Sparks

Options
VfM4meplse
VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Don't do it, for the sake of your own mental health.

And don't let Countrywide Estates do it for you either.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 10 March 2018 at 8:03PM
    Options
    Why not ? Spark Energy are coming up on Uswitch with very cheap rates for prepayment meters being the 5 th cheapest supplier in the UK, very close to the cheapest ( Swift PAYG tariff )
    Most people I see with Spark Energy as a meter reader for them are on prepayment meters. They are not so cheap for credit meter deals but for prepay they re ok.
    By the very nature of Spark Energy dealing with customers in the rental sector they have many customers who don`t understand the system very well as it may be the first time they have had ever to deal with their own bills since leaving the nest.
    Hence lots of mix-ups and bad reviews. The deals they have with letting agents are beneficial if they compare much more expensive prepay rates with the big 6
  • robin58
    robin58 Posts: 2,802 Forumite
    Options
    Why not ? Spark Energy are coming up on Uswitch with very cheap rates for prepayment meters being the 5 th cheapest supplier in the UK, very close to the cheapest ( Swift PAYG tariff )
    Most people I see with Spark Energy as a meter reader for them are on prepayment meters. They are not so cheap for credit meter deals but for prepay they re ok.
    By the very nature of Spark Energy dealing with customers in the rental sector they have many customers who don`t understand the system very well as it may be the first time they have had ever to deal with their own bills since leaving the nest.
    Hence lots of mix-ups and bad reviews. The deals they have with letting agents are beneficial if they compare much more expensive prepay rates with the big 6

A bit patronising that. Could it be Sparks not actually explaining it clearer.

I have read some websites Q&A and terms and conditions where even I had problems understanding them. And I class myself a well tuned in guy on these things.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Ok, now I've calmed down a bit I will tell you the problem.

Countryside Estates have an "arrangement" with Sparks to change suppliers. In my case this happened prior to written instruction was received (separate albeit critical issue). Bottom line, I had my account closed, am paying for energy to a supplier I haven't chosen at a rate I have no knowledge of. I was informed of this when I attempted to offer my exit reading to the energy company I actively switched to.

Sparks made an estimate of usage some days ago, far higher than actual. The remedy? They will bill me if another reading is submitted in a weeks time, so they can accurately estimate what the usage was on the date they took the contract on without my knowledge. There's an obvious flaw in the accuracy of this methodology in my case, as the property has been unoccupied until very recently, and a week of occupancy won't reflect the previous 3 months during which time relatively little energy has been consumed. It's not hard to understanding! Why not take the actual readings and have done with it?

To top it off is the difficulty I had trying to get hold of anyone at Sparks. It's not possible to submit an online reading without an account number. Online chat - closed. Repeated calls were made until I got fed up of waiting on the line. Eventually I persisted, and was answered after a half an hour wait. You can imagine that all of this is only going to make an already upset "customer" even more irate, then I speak with someone who blames OFGEM for the system.

If you can't match the demand, don't court the supply. And personally I wouldn't choose a supplier for any service without a sound track record of customer satisfaction. Hence post #1.

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Ok, now I've calmed down a bit I will tell you the problem.

Countryside Estates have an "arrangement" with Sparks to change suppliers. In my case this happened prior to written instruction was received (separate albeit critical issue). Bottom line, I had my account closed, am paying for energy to a supplier I haven't chosen at a rate I have no knowledge of. I was informed of this when I attempted to offer my exit reading to the energy company I actively switched to.

Sparks made an estimate of usage some days ago, far higher than actual. The remedy? They will bill me if another reading is submitted in a weeks time, so they can accurately estimate what the usage was on the date they took the contract on without my knowledge. There's an obvious flaw in the accuracy of this methodology in my case, as the property has been unoccupied until very recently, and a week of occupancy won't reflect the previous 3 months during which time relatively little energy has been consumed. It's not hard to understanding! Why not take the actual readings and have done with it?

To top it off is the difficulty I had trying to get hold of anyone at Sparks. It's not possible to submit an online reading without an account number. Online chat - closed. Repeated calls were made until I got fed up of waiting on the line. Eventually I persisted, and was answered after a half an hour wait. You can imagine that all of this is only going to make an already upset "customer" even more irate, then I speak with someone who blames OFGEM for the system.

If you can't match the demand, don't court the supply. And personally I wouldn't choose a supplier for any service without a sound track record of customer satisfaction. Hence post #1.
    Don t go to Iresa Energy for gods sake. A half hour wait is nothing compared to how long they will have you hanging on the phone. Website slow or crashed and email also dubious.
    You like your "value for money " but this is the downside to suppliers who come in cheaper than the big 6. There`s a reason they can do this, they don`t employ enough call centre staff.
    I would recommend British Gas and their All Online latest 2019 deal. You will get an answer in under 5 minutes. Eon are also a good bet for reliability IMHO
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Don t go to Iresa Energy for gods sake. A half hour wait is nothing compared to how long they will have you hanging on the phone. Website slow or crashed and email also dubious.
    You like your "value for money " but this is the downside to suppliers who come in cheaper than the big 6. There`s a reason they can do this, they don`t employ enough call centre staff.
    I would recommend British Gas and their All Online latest 2019 deal. You will get an answer in under 5 minutes. Eon are also a good bet for reliability IMHO
    All good points, but I never chose Sparks. And based on this experience, I never would.

• Hi VfM4meplse

Sorry to hear you're not happy.

If you drop me a line using the details in my profile, I'd be happy to have a look at this for you.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Customer Relations Manager
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    Hi VfM4meplse

Sorry to hear you're not happy.

If you drop me a line using the details in my profile, I'd be happy to have a look at this for you.

Kind regards

Jenny
    Thank you.

I looked at the website earlier this morning, and will be contacting the complaints team - which is exactly where your call handler should have referred me on Saturday afternoon instead of being so antagonistic.

• Hi VfM4meplse

I work in our Complaints team, so if you'd like me to start the process for you, you are welcome to email me using the address on my profile.

I can then raise a formal complaint for you and get everything sorted out.

Kind regards

Jenny
    I am the official company representative of Spark Energy. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • VfM4meplse
    Options
    A big thank you to Spark Energy: Jenny for her effort and sheer determination in bringing this matter to a close. It's taken a while but we are there now.

And also credit to Co-Operative Energy (incumbent supplier), their end was resolved proactively.

• Hi VfM4meplse

Sorry for the late response - thanks so much for coming back to update the thread.
    I'm really glad I was able to help.
    Kind regards

Jenny
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure