Ex committing benefit fraud

Options
Craigie121
Craigie121 Posts: 12 Forumite
edited 21 October 2018 at 10:28PM in Child support
Hi everyone,

I have been trying to deal with this by myself but have been getting nowhere.

I have an 18 yr old daughter (19 next month) who I have always paid maintenance for.

In recent yearsI have noticed that the money is being paid to her mother when she is actually living with her mothers parents (ie not the main carer)
I have challenged previously this with the CSA initially, who came back with laughable comments such as "oh well maybe she pays the money direct to your daughter/her gran" which imo is not acceptable as I know the grandparent has been her main carer for the past 15 years at least.
I have contacted the mother via facebook asking her to cancel her claim and arrange for her parents to claim so I can pay them or our daughter direct. I have sent several messages like this but have never received any response.
I understand my ex lives in London but does have access to a council property in Bristol (where I used to live with her) which is near where our daughter actually lives with her grandparents.
I have asked my daughter which address she is registered to at college and work and she has refused to answer me, saying that is an inappropriate question.
I believe my daughter and her mother are both registered as the vacant Bristol address which is why she has been allowed to claim child benefit all this time and even have a facebook message from a neighbour confirming the mother only stays there every 4 months or so.
I have been considering legal action and have been advised to get a DNA test beforehand. I have asked the mother some years back for this but she continues to ignore me. recently I have had to ask my daughter direct which has made her VERY angry with me and seems oblivious to the fact her mother is committing fraud.
It seems absurd in this day and age that someone can get away with committing benefit fraud for so long and the CMS seem unable or unwilling to see this and in the end just apply arrears.
Does anyone have any advice as I seem to be in a very big hole. I accept I need to make payments but leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that the money goes to a mother who is not the primary carer for our child.
The CMS seem to investigate but not very thoroughly leaving me with arrears which I cannot afford to pay.
I have been doing 22 hrs a week overtime just to pay for this and have 2 other children to care for.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    speaking from the other side i think its disgusting so much fraud is committed by the Self employed for CMS assessment and they are not required to show bank statements

anyway back to you

it does seem like there is fraud going on,especially if she has a council property that are like gold dust,and it all sounds generally like your ex is committing fraud

i would report to relevant people

it sounds like your daughter has been coached what to say and is pretty bad that her mother would do that but i happens

you need to talk to tax credit/council first the rest will follow if she is guilty

good luck
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    could you speak to the grandparents?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Do a search on 'Reporting Benefit Fraud' and do it officially if that's the route you wish to take. Once reported it will be investigated and you will have fulfilled your obligation. You can't force government agencies to act, and even after investigation they may feel the case doesn't warrant action.
  • Topcat1982
    Options
    You need to report the fraud to the DWP, they will investigate. The CMS won't investigate benefit fraud, all they care about is that child benefit is still being paid.

Also report the empty council house to the relevant housing association/council because there's homeless people waiting on the list for a home
  • Craigie121
    Craigie121 Posts: 12 Forumite
    edited 26 October 2018 at 10:13AM
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys. Ive just been paid today and the CMS have taken the standard fee (plus arrears) so its clear the child benefit agency have done nothing since my last contact. Not even a letter to say they have investigated but are not taking it any further. Very poor and disappointing.
    I will take your advice on board and contacting the council fraud line (I believe I did this many years back but as with most things they will never update you) and DWP (I have only contacted CBA and CMS so far).
    The grandparents will always protect their daughter so I have not even attempted to speak to them. The grandmother actually used to work for the council so i'm sure she is coaching her daughter how to work the system. Certainly she is aware what her daughter is doing and must know it is wrong
    I have had a facebook conversation with someone who lives next door to the vacant council property and has said has hardly stayed there except for the last month where she has been staying everyday. I think this is to try and cover her tracks as I asked our daughter where she was registered with work and college and she refused to tell me and has clearly passed this onto her mother.
    The neighbour also confirmed that the mothers children have not lived there since I left 16-17 years ago (she also lived there while I was there) but stressed she doesn't want to get involved.
    Just to add to the drama I have now asked our daughter for a DNA test to make sure she is mine. She has gone ballistic at this and now refuses to speak to me. I asked her mother for a DNA test again many years back and received absolutely no response. Now our daughter is almost 19 I felt it right to ask her direct yet seems to have blown up in my face and (surprisingly) still no contact from her mother about the matter. I need to know this before I take any legal action and have reasons for suspecting she is not mine, although its only really come to a head now.
    I want to pay but I just dont want any money going to her. I dont see what the CMS/CBA feel I am trying to get out of all this. If only they asked for bank statements they could see where her personal area of residence is.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Craigie121 wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses guys. Ive just been paid today and the CMS have taken the standard fee (plus arrears) so its clear the child benefit agency have done nothing since my last contact. Not even a letter to say they have investigated but are not taking it any further. Very poor and disappointing. - And not the people who would change any CMS arrangement. You're on collect and pay. Regardless of where the daughter lives or lived. You still pay
    I will take your advice on board and contacting the council fraud line (I believe I did this many years back but as with most things they will never update you) and DWP (I have only contacted CBA and CMS so far). - again it's not really relevant now she's 19 is it?
    The grandparents will always protect their daughter so I have not even attempted to speak to them. The grandmother actually used to work for the council so i'm sure she is coaching her daughter how to work the system. - Most council employees wouldn't know the first thing about the system. Just their small bit of it; even if she used to work in the housing dept. Certainly she is aware what her daughter is doing and must know it is wrong
    I have had a facebook conversation with someone who lives next door to the vacant council property and has said has hardly stayed there except for the last month where she has been staying everyday. I think this is to try and cover her tracks as I asked our daughter where she was registered with work and college and she refused to tell me and has clearly passed this onto her mother. - why do you care?
    The neighbour also confirmed that the mothers children have not lived there since I left 16-17 years ago (she also lived there while I was there) but stressed she doesn't want to get involved. - Ye I wonder why
    Just to add to the drama I have now asked our daughter for a DNA test to make sure she is mine. She has gone ballistic at this and now refuses to speak to me. - and you're surprised? You asked someone who is 19, for a DNA test. Does it matter if she's biologically yours? I asked her mother for a DNA test again many years back and received absolutely no response. - should've asked the CSA / CMS then shouldn't you Now our daughter is almost 19 I felt it right to ask her direct yet seems to have blown up in my face and (surprisingly) still no contact from her mother about the matter. - so this was just to get a reaction?? I need to know this before I take any legal action and have reasons for suspecting she is not mine, although its only really come to a head now. - Get over it and live your life.
    I want to pay but I just dont want any money going to her. I dont see what the CMS/CBA feel I am trying to get out of all this. If only they asked for bank statements they could see where her personal area of residence is.

If you want to pay, pay. Does it matter where the money goes now? Your daughter is 19!
  • Comms69
    Options
    Of course it matters where the money goes - what now she's 19?? Come on. , plus she should be contributing - yes she should. But she isn't. She's your ex, she's not a nice person. Get over it. . I have no guarantee if any or how much of it actually goes to my daughter - well considering she's 19, none of it I assume. or her grandparents - who cares? . When I ask our daughter she clams up and just says she is not allowed to talk to me about her mum's business - indeed. So STOP ASKING! . The ironic thing is that this is none of her mums business having not lived with her for all but 2 years of he life. - and none of yours having been separated for 16 years.
    Also what has her age got to do with this? - She's an adult now... I have been telling the same story to the CSA and CMS for years now.
    My daughter is working and going to college so is financially as dependent as she has ever been, yet when the CMS took over last year the payments doubled from £120 to £240, but that's another story.

I suspect because you're on a higher income.

Then again I pay more than that, and my current role isn't particularly well paid...
  • Comms69
    Options
    Of course it matters where the money goes, plus she should be contributing. I have no guarantee if any or how much of it actually goes to my daughter or her grandparents. When I ask our daughter she clams up and just says she is not allowed to talk to me about her mum's business. The ironic thing is that this is none of her mums business having not lived with her for all but 2 years of he life
    Her mother has in the past lost me my job, kidnapped me -and you reported this to the police? , held me at knife-point -and you reported this to the police? and dumped our daughter on my doorstep -and you reported this to social services? and a number of other things, so forgive her if my money going to her makes my blood boil.

Also she has an obligation to disclose any change of circumstances so yes not living at the address they have both been registered at all these years is very relevant to me. - relevant to the authorities maybe. not to you

I cannot live my life as this it taking over my life with payments currently at £500 per month with 2 other children and GF to support.

So who should support your kids, me?
  • Craigie121
    Options
    Still not understanding why you think its ok to pay a 'mother' committing fraud by pretending to be her 'main carer' just because she is almost 19, or 'an adult now'?
    In the eyes of the CMS she is not an adult which is why I am still paying for her. If she is classed as an adult why does the money not go direct to our daughter?
  • Craigie121
    Options
    I am sure if you are a tax-payer you already are, as im sure various other claims are being made
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure