Ex committing benefit fraud

Options
13»

Comments

• pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The question is, Do you hope to ever rebuild a relationship with your daughter or are you more interested in getting back at your ex?
  • DUTR
    DUTR Posts: 12,958 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »
    The question is, Do you hope to ever rebuild a relationship with your daughter or are you more interested in getting back at your ex?

I agree the OP's actions could be seen as spiteful (but not wrong) , however he should not need tread on egg shells to build a relationship with his offspring.
  • Craigie121
    Options
    pmduk wrote: »

Both, why cant i do both?

It is not me breaking my child benefit claim agreement and cheating the system. Child maintenance is based on a child benefit claim and hers is not valid as the Gov.uk site confirms
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Craigie121 wrote: »
    I have been considering legal action and have been advised to get a DNA test beforehand. I have asked the mother some years back for this but she continues to ignore me.

I thought that if the putative father requested a dna test and the mother refused to allow it, it was assumed that he wasn't the father.

Has that changed?
  • Craigie121
    Options
    Mojisola wrote: »
    I thought that if the putative father requested a dna test and the mother refused to allow it, it was assumed that he wasn't the father.

Has that changed?

I think you have to have valids reasons to think the child may not be yours.

The mother hasnt ever refused, she just hasnt said anything at all. If she was sure she should be telling our daughter to go ahead and have it done and waste my money. Her silence is deafening.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Craigie121 wrote: »
    I think you have to have valids reasons to think the child may not be yours.

The mother hasnt ever refused, she just hasnt said anything at all. If she was sure she should be telling our daughter to go ahead and have it done and waste my money. Her silence is deafening.

I don't think you have to have reasons - any father can ask for a dna check.

If you had pursued this when the mother didn't co-operate, you may not have had to pay CM.

If she is your daughter, then at least you would have been sure all these years.
  • IndiaRose
    Options
    You can actually get child benefit if your child lives with someone else as long as you remain financially responsible for them.

Contributions to upkeep

You could continue to get payments for more than 8 weeks if you contribute to your child’s upkeep by the same amount or more than the Child Benefit payment.

Upkeep includes clothes, presents, food and pocket money and financial contributions to provide your child with somewhere to live.

You can make your contributions weekly, monthly or in a lump sum to cover a set period. If you miss one or two payments over a long period, the Child Benefit Office may treat this as if you have contributed for the whole period.

And it goes on to detail that you can actually still get CB even if you are paying court ordered maintenance. Presumably that's why the benefits office aren't interested in your complaint. As long as it's all set up properly your ex has actually done nothing wrong.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure