Lost £79.99p on Fortnite.

Options
Hi, I know this is stupid and has been answered 1000s of time i am looking for help, I set up a PS4 account and my son (6) has gone on fortnite and bought V Bucks for £79.99p as my debit card was linked to it. I know i should have a password/code on it etc but i didn't realise at the time it was so easy. Can anyone give me any numbers or who to contact in getting money back or if i will? Epic games responded by email asking me to contact Sony who don't have any contact details. I just want the £80 back asap. I have also cancelled my bank card to stop it happening again.

Comments

• es5595
    es5595 Posts: 380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Contact your debit card provider and explain its an unauthorised transaction and do a chargeback.

There is more information here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Contact Epic games but expect a long wait.
  • Col81_2
    Col81_2 Posts: 69 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, it was a debit card transaction and as it wasn't fraud they won't help. Epic games fired me off to Sony who say no refunds. How on earth can a 6 year old spend the money obviously wrongly and then it not be able to be refunded. Its a total con. Thank you
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Col81 wrote: »
    Hi, it was a debit card transaction and as it wasn't fraud they won't help. Epic games fired me off to Sony who say no refunds. How on earth can a 6 year old spend the money obviously wrongly and then it not be able to be refunded. Its a total con. Thank you

Its hardly a con now is it?

How many cases of buyers remorse would they get if they opened the floodgates to "oh my son ordered it by mistake"?

I think you need to take ownership for your own mistake here - you gave a 6 year old the ability to spend money from your account.
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Its hardly a con now is it?

How many cases of buyers remorse would they get if they opened the floodgates to "oh my son ordered it by mistake"?

I think you need to take ownership for your own mistake here - you gave a 6 year old the ability to spend money from your account.

To be fair, how many adults spend that much on say a few cosmetic items for a game such as clothes? Sure maybe £10 max for a game where that gets you a item that improves gameplay experience such as a shooting game when the default one is weak, slow, recoil and a paid one has one shot kills and no recoil. (I talk from experience though it was £5)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 June 2018 at 6:31PM
    Options

It isn't a con, people link debit/credit cards to a PSN account, if the owner of said card doesn't take certain pre cautions then no one to blame but themselves.

Cancelling your card was a bit extreme, just stick a password on the account or buy PSN credit from 1 of the reatilers and add that, once its gone its gone until you get another.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OP - you might find it interesting to read the thread entitled "Fortnite - Free Game", especially the post concerning sub-accounts which will restrict your 6 year-old not only from buying in-game but also only accessing age-appropriate games.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

Fail to see the con myself, password set up before purchase, simple.
  • bluenoseam
    bluenoseam Posts: 4,612 Forumite
    edited 5 June 2018 at 8:20PM
    Options
    es5595 wrote: »
    Contact your debit card provider and explain its an unauthorised transaction and do a chargeback.

There is more information here - https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback

Contact Epic games but expect a long wait.

Please be aware that if you do this Sony have a track record of banning the console from accessing network features.

I'll leave this here for you too.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/explore/parents-guide-to-playstation/
    Retired member - fed up with the general tone of the place.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,864 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You left your wallet open on the side and a man came to the door selling goodies. Your son decided he would like some so dipped into your wallet and bought them. Now who is to blame ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure