Ratesetter Cash ISA - safe?

Options
Is Ratesetter at all safe?
I think it is not covered by things like the FSA protection guarantee.
It is not just where they put the money going bust but I think it is the Ratesetter outfit themselves that could be the problem as well.
Any ideas?

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,653 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 May 2018 at 10:18PM
    Options
    They offer Innovative Finance ISAs so you could still contribute to a Cash ISA elsewhere subject to the overall £20k annual ISA limit.

Their business model has origins in the ancient world with money flowing from deposits into loans. The difference is that you the borrower rather than the bank are at risk of incurring losses if they exceed the value of the protection fund. As such you are not covered by FSCS protection.

In some ways this could make the RateSetter company safer than a bank as they are not carrying as many potential liabilities - their customers are. You can dig around in the past circa 10 years of Companies House returns for Retail Money Market Ltd who trade as RateSetter to better understand their position.

It's a matter if judgement on if you feel the risk is worth the potential additional return. My view is that with the signup bonus it was worth a punt for the experience however I will probably not extend our exposure above the £1k plus accumulated returns each and have limited the loan durations to 1 year so I can excercise an exit strategy.

See also dedicated forum at
    http://p2pindependentforum.com/board/34/ratesetter

Alex
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills