PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Artificial grass - Opinions

Options
So while looking at the design trends thread i was surprised to see how many people were very very anti fake grass.

I am currently saving up to do over our garden and after a year wrestling with the grass (we have a tree that drys out one end of the garden (under a tpo) and a marshy area at the other with sun being scant on one side - keeping the grass nice was almost impossible - even with a lawn treatment company coming in every few weeks.

So I had my heart set on some fake turf (the best quality we could afford so its not greengrocer grass!) but seeing how many of you were very veheminant against it got me wondering if i'll be making a mistake.

Would artificial turf put you off a House? (it will be landscaped into the garden - so not a weirdly perfect square of green)
Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...

Comments

• AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How big an area are we talking about?
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 March 2018 at 10:14AM
    Options
    If you want it, have it. First and foremost we live in our own houses and doing them for future buyers and trying to please all of them is pointless and just ends in compromise.

I like it, I think some of them look great and I have no intention of mowing grass again when we move house. We will have it. We've just bought Easy Lawn in Rosemary for a very small garden in London. I haven't seen it down in person yet, but my husband is pleased. I liked the colour as it has 'dead' bits in it so it's not too perfectly green.

I have seen not very nice artificial grass in a huge back garden with nothing else in it and that looked very strange. But you're not doing that, so go for it :)
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • MobileSaver
    MobileSaver Posts: 4,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Would artificial turf put you off a House?

Absolutely, yes! I'd probably disregard the house entirely but if everything else was absolutely perfect and there was nothing else close then I'd simply reduce my offer by all the costs needed to take the lawn back to nature including an extra sizeable amount for the time and hassle of doing so.

Ultimately it's your home so you should do whatever makes you happy but do be aware that there will be probably be a significant cost incurred when you come to sell.
    Every generation blames the one before...
    Mike + The Mechanics - The Living Years
  • JuzaMum
    JuzaMum Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I don't like artificial grass and don't think it is a good idea environmentally.
    As for it putting me off buying a house? When I viewed my house the stair carpet was made of cat hair and held together with cat urine (original colour indistinguishable) so if it's the right house and the right price it wouldn't matter.
  • Lioness_Twinkletoes
    Options
    I am a huge fan of artificial grass if it done well.
  • Rileybaby
    Rileybaby Posts: 238 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ive had it installed to make an unusable back garden usable. I love it, if and when I come to sell my buyers don!!!8217;t like it will be there decision to change it back to real grass.
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a small garden 25m by 28M ( i hope that's right i struggle with assigning a size value to numbers - see sig :) ) - think smallish cottage garden size-, south facing due to the way the tree dries out one half and the other is marsh i can only have a bed in one section of the garden - there is a house side wall at the end of the garden.

In fact the garden is not unsimilar to the size that lemonsqueezer78 posted in her comments (and i really like the garden!)

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5801078&page=2
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • Callie22
    Callie22 Posts: 3,444 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would put me off, mainly because the only people I know who have it are dog owners who want grass but couldn't keep it alive because of the dog pee. I know people who have it because it's easy to hose down and pick up the more solid deposits, but I just can't see how that wouldn't start to smell really, really bad, especially in the summer. I know that's not everyone's reason for having it but the idea of it just puts me off.

I can see how it would be a good solution for those who want 'green' in small town gardens but I'd rather have some kind of planting, if only for environmental reasons.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,728 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    There is a house near my house I walk past a couple of times a week, I had been here about 6 months before I noticed it, it looks quite good.

But it would be a negative point if I were buying a house - ie it would be one of those things I would end up changing. If part of your garden is marshy and part is dry and you are having it landscaped, can you not get the landscaper to make some suggestions such s not having grass in those areas?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Amanda_Cm
    Amanda_Cm Posts: 168 Forumite
    Options
    Is a big NoNo for me but I like big natural looking gardens.
    Is ok for small garden that looks more like a patio especially if it belongs to terraced house without side or back access.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure